Opeth's best

Opeth's Greatest release

• Total voters
You know its not going to happen man, Akerfeldt hates the Gothenburg style.

Personally seeing them get back to a REAL style (i.e. MAYH / SL) would do it for me. I'd be totally reconverted in a second.
Id love to see it too but I dont see it happening. Who knows what Mikael's going to do next...I havent been disappointed yet. Hopefully the new guitarist Fredrik will add an even heavier edge. Highly anticipating new stuff and tour.

I don't care how heavy the next one is, I just want it to sound dark. Blackwater Park had such a sinister sound to it. It's probably as heavy as GR, but GR lacks any feeling of darkness. I fear that the next album will be so polished and overproduced that all atmosphere will be lost. I just put on The Drapery Falls right now. This song has just as much feeling as it did five years ago for me. The ebow notes are just so hypnotic and evokative. Nothing on the post BWP albums can touch this.

I still think Morningrise is the best one though.

One thing I think that makes Morningrise great apart from the vocals is the bass lines, it is the only Opeth album where they are impressive. A good example of both is the opening track Advent.

A bizarre statement to make, considering MAYH and SL do not sound alike at all, and BWP and GR aren't really too similar either.
Exactly right. Thats why Opeth are so unique and have that staying power that most bands do not have. The new one will be heavier with the addition of the new guitarist Fredrik. The 70s Prog will be minimal and is going to take a completely different direction than GR.