Opinions on Martin Lopez

Shamus: Axis pedals are not performance enhancing unless you trigger. Since most metal drummers trigger, it is basically a big cheat. Axis makes special triggers that only work well with their pedals. Axis are so light that you can only use them either with triggers or really large beaters anyway.

He was in Amon Amarth and was very good there. I suppose MAYH sounds so aggresive because of the style he used to have. I can imagine Mike saying: "hey, guy, slow a bit down! This is not Amon Amarth." I imagine MAYH needed to be extra-aggressive, anyway.

Of course Amon Amarth is not Black Metal... That's the band I know he played with. I also recall someone mentioning he was in a black metal band with Mendez maybe...??

Yes, in this forum post very often one of the members of that band.
The name is Requiem Aeternam, I have a pic if you want because I'm not able to post it here, don't know why.

\m/

Luz.-

Demoke said:
Of course Amon Amarth is not Black Metal... That's the band I know he played with. I also recall someone mentioning he was in a black metal band with Mendez maybe...??

The Grimace said:
NOO!!!!!!11 LARZ TEH GRATES DRUMER!!!!!1

:Spin: :Spin: :Spin: :Spin: :Spin: :Spin:

I don't know what band Lopez + Mendez were in together, I think it's called Opeth or something. :erk:

Bah I'm surprised none of you drummers responded to my big post that I put my heart into. Damn you all. :wave:
:headbang: :confused: :headbang:

my girlfriend likes the "nothing" face Lopez puts on when playing, quite atypical for metal drummers trying to put on a little show in the back.

what I like is the beat varieties and obvious Latin influence, something I'd imagine is rare elsewhere in death metal.

pretty funny guy too. I gave him a stick to sign...he shakes his head in disgust, crosses out the "zildjian" logo and writes "vic firth" before signing his name.

Darfus said:
I don't know what band Lopez + Mendez were in together, I think it's called Opeth or something. :erk:

Bah I'm surprised none of you drummers responded to my big post that I put my heart into. Damn you all. :wave:
:headbang: :confused: :headbang:

Boy, I could write a book about my weaknesses...so obviously I won't bore everyone...LOL! I was very average and unfortunately when I was at my peak(low as it was), I moved from my home in upstate NY to Phoenix...about 8 years ago. I picked up so much from my friends and having roadied for them for quite awhile...I had a real mental feel for the drums, just never mastered the physical part.

Anyway, sorry(to everyone else) if I go a little off topic, but I want to suggest that you look at Mark Zonder from Fates Warning for some further inspiration. Maybe you already have, but if not...he would be a great one to work on for technical stuff. I like him better than Portnoy, but that's just a personal preferance.

My suggestions would be "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" and "Disconnected" mainly. If you want, send me an instant message for specific songs so we don't clog up the board.

Seth

Seth'Peth said:
Boy, I could write a book about my weaknesses...so obviously I won't bore everyone...LOL! I was very average and unfortunately when I was at my peak(low as it was), I moved from my home in upstate NY to Phoenix...about 8 years ago. I picked up so much from my friends and having roadied for them for quite awhile...I had a real mental feel for the drums, just never mastered the physical part.

Anyway, sorry(to everyone else) if I go a little off topic, but I want to suggest that you look at Mark Zonder from Fates Warning for some further inspiration. Maybe you already have, but if not...he would be a great one to work on for technical stuff. I like him better than Portnoy, but that's just a personal preferance.

My suggestions would be "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" and "Disconnected" mainly. If you want, send me an instant message for specific songs so we don't clog up the board.

Seth

Sure seth, I'll message you sometime. And I understand what you mean about the mental part. Like I said, about the double bass. Mentally I can tell that I have it and i'm sending the messages timed and good. The muscles aren't there yet, I guess I'm not used to the bass pedals enough. OR I just try sitting lower or higher, or reduce the tension, the spring tension is maxed. Once again I really don't know a lot that's why I'd love it if I could get some advice from Lopez, since he knows everything about anything.

I play double bass better when I'm farther away, I have REALLY long legs, but then I can't reach my toms anymore! I shouldn't have a big of set I do have with 6 toms, being it's my first set. It gets frustrating when you can't even get things how you want 'em. Tuning i'm fine with though. Yea so i'll message you sometime and we'll talk.

I think Martin Lopez is easily one of my favourites drummers of all the time... he is amazing, he can mix different drum styles with an extraordinary facility, it blows my head.

his latin background gives him an exquisit touch, that i haven't heard on any other drummer.

i think he easily can kick any other drummer's ass, imo he is way better than Portnoy, Ulrich and so on. Lopez plays on the big leages, as TRYM, HH, JARZOMBECK also do.

i know how hard Lopez plays, i'm a drummer too.

LONG LIFE TO LOPEZ, THE MASTER!

:headbang:

^good job D1.
as for mark zonder: hes really interesting to listen to. i dont play drums, but his parts seem very intricate and well-conceived to me.
Portnoy: as much as love him his solos are terrible. i dont know why this is though. i always just think, "that was unpleasant to listen to." but ive been to two of his drum clinics and they are really cool.

dorian gray said:
^good job D1.
as for mark zonder: hes really interesting to listen to. i dont play drums, but his parts seem very intricate and well-conceived to me.
Portnoy: as much as love him his solos are terrible. i dont know why this is though. i always just think, "that was unpleasant to listen to." but ive been to two of his drum clinics and they are really cool.

Cool, another Zonder fan. He's not only underrated, but really unknown in drum discussions. I don't know that any other drummer can do what he does with the cymbals(Peart-like)...although Lopez does some similar stuff very well. Zonder is very much a finesse player. Watching him play on the "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" video is a real treat.

Seth

One of my personal favorite things about Lopez are his fills. Not all of them are fancy, but they're very tasteful. I love fills. I often times use them to much in my drumming, even little snare fills and shit.

I play drums a bit i am a bass player. He is a great drummer in my opinion.
he's plays with a great deal of feeling and emotion.
Has anyone else noticed that he uses alot of the same beats
on every album?were he hit's the ride and the bass drum at the same time.
it's on demon of the fall and on every album after that at least once.
He also loves hitting the hi-hat and closing it.
thats quite hard to do especially when he does it.
For sure one of my fav drummers.
lol, whts the bet someone will compare him with danney carrey??