Other Bands for Theocracy Fans?

That's not really against God though, not when taken in context (which is basically "go screw yourself, don't tell me how to live my life"). Though they have a few anti-religious songs, that's actually not one of them. Haha.

Hmm, let me put it this way..
That song is anti-religious to the same extent as a song is Christian when it mentions the line "God help us all".

Pain is openly anti-religious and that's why I have issues with such bands :p

Hmm, let me put it this way..
That song is anti-religious to the same extent as a song is Christian when it mentions the line "God help us all".

Pain is openly anti-religious and that's why I have issues with such bands :p

Well, to quote the elves in Eragon, "then say what you mean" ;)

No, I get that, and I'm cool with it. Though Peter's other band, Hypocrisy is way worse. :err:

The only band I listen to anymore that's even remotely anti-Christian is Disturbed, because they only have one song ("Believe") I've heard that's even close. I stopped listening to lots of bands (Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Slipknot, etc.) when I started to get more serious about religion about a year ago, and now the lyrics are one of the first things I investigate when checking out a new band.
(And yes, I understand that the vocalist of Slayer is Catholic. I'm happy that he apparently doesn't care about what he sings, but I do.)

Good way to put things imo. Always check. There is stuff in the bible about "testing the spirits" but don't let that seem weird to you. no exorcism here. lol. By that it means the check what the spirit behind the message is. Check the message of the messenger.

The only band I listen to anymore that's even remotely anti-Christian is Disturbed

I read a very interesting interview with Disturbed. A few of them come from a very Orthodox Jewish background, including boarding school with all sorts of strict rules.

My take away from the interview is that when Disturbed is anti-religious, its just that, anti-religious.

There is a difference between being anti-Christianity/religious and anti-Jesus.

Its a fine line and most people won't bother (and I don't blame them). But for me the difference has always been critical. Many times I find myself to be anti-religious and anti-Christian even though I am 100% pro-Jesus.

btw - this is not a defense of Disturbed, just an observation that in music, especially the heavy kind, a lot of the "anti" is directly related to bad experiences with the church or hypocritical Christians and not necessarily anti the person of Jesus Christ.

...a lot of the "anti" is directly related to bad experiences with the church or hypocritical Christians and not necessarily anti the person of Jesus Christ.
Very true. Usually these lyrics give a very good view on what people think of the church and religion and why. It's some sort of mirror. A bit distorted usually, but still.

Very true. Usually these lyrics give a very good view on what people think of the church and religion and why. It's some sort of mirror. A bit distorted usually, but still.

It's like a mirror of lies, not reflecting the soul.

Sorry...just had to do that ;)

---Prem

Question: I've been listening to Opeth recently, and enjoying it. But their lyrics are kinda... meh. I'm looking for a band that's a similar blend of prog and death metal, but more Christian. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find one. Any suggestions?

Veni Domine or try enjoying a couple of songs from the "mealsbeast experiment" it's an Australian fellow, a Christian by the way that makes Opeth-y kind of music, he's fairly new but even listening to one song is a breath of fresh air.

note: veni domine isn't death, my bad...

you can always try antestor but they're kinda off....

This is the song that reminded me of Opeth in particular:
[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt8cJVTneSA&feature=related[/ame]

You can reach him by email, it's on his myspace, he's a very cheery guy and really appreciative.
Ask him about his work, is he planning anything etc..

There's also Majestic Vanguard and Human Fortress. Both are very good. ;D However, they're both on the power metal side of things.

I listen to Majestic Vanguard! Idk about Human Fortress too well. I'll have to give them a listen after the long time of hearing about time.