People still listen to Symphony X?

I'd really rather get a response to some of the points I made about bands as their careers grow long.

But right now Im rather intrigued by this recent more personal side show thats going on between ultimate symphony and Canto and wonder what the fuck is up with that....... lol

mëtålspëd;8067722 said:
Perhaps the initial posting was said with my tongue a bit in cheek, but I still feel they are falling off the musical curve. With so many musical offerings these days, I think it is still a perfectly legitimate question.
I'd have to agree...my initial response to the thread was that your question was genuine, though I'm also not surprised at the misconception. Plus I've seen you regularly at the ProgPower forum and I don't recall you trolling, so my opinion was also biased upon that knowledge...not to say you couldn't suddenly do some "one-off" trolling on occasion ;)

I'd really rather get a response to some of the points I made about bands as their careers grow long.
Many bands do evolve over their career, but still maintain some signature facets of the early days. But as we all know, it's a double-edged sword, with some fans damning any changes, seemingly just wanting the same album over and over...while others embrace a fresh twist.

Therion is a more extreme example, going all the way from a death metal origin to their current progressive/operatic/symphonic orientation. At the opposite end of the evolutionary spectrum, we have AC/DC :D

And AC/DC rocks harder than any band alive and it's simple as fuck!

This thread is just a neverending chucklefest. :lol: I am so hung over and reading this is amazing... i can't think of any coherent response to anything so i'm just goingto wait until my head gets a bit better... but for now, hysterical.

They are great and I still like them but don't listen to them as much as I did before. It is the same with DreamTheater, but I like Symphony X more.

I love it how you always shoot yourself on the foot.

You still didn't quote where I agree/disagree with the topic that you're discussing... or whining about the topic. I.. in fact, have not said anything about what you've been talking about in the last 3 pages of this thread... not said a single thing about it. lol.. all I said is could be get some infractions/banning going on because of the intial post that was a troll post.

Oh and thanks for your judgment and opinions about me, but you're some random asshole on a forum whose just trolling so its all good. :headbang:

@ DoomsdayZach

Me too, this thread made my day :lol:. Its gold. I'll bookmark it for when I'm down one day and I need a couple laughs.

If you are too blind to see where I just quoted you, that ain't my problem. Go buy contacts/glasses on your own time. Anyways, I'm not going to waste any more time on you, since it's hardly worth it.

Oh and thanks for your judgment and opinions about me, but you're some random asshole on a forum whose just trolling so its all good.

Coming from you, i'll take that as a compliment :D

Are you guys still fighting about something?

And Virgin Steel actually sounds alright.

Oh and Dream Theater and Symphony X don't even sound similiar. Well, they do sound similiar... Just about as much as Metallica Manowar sound similiar.

Yeah...Dream Theater and SymX sound nothing alike...where did he get that from...obviously not listening.

BTW...I'm not actually a prog fan.

I never accused you of trolling my friend, just saying, truely what was the point. Its like going do an island where only the colour blue exist and telling them that "blue is yesterday"! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but imposing your opinion can lead to some people believing you're trolling.

I personally don't think those bands are 'that good'. They where worth a listen, but in my eyes better than symphony x? I can't do that. And just simply saying, a symphony x forum is the wrong place to post a thread about it. Stating your opinions as replies to other peoples thoughts and opinions is one thing, but creating a thread like this just asks for "attack me" lol!

mëtålspëd;8070736 said:
Why is that? Are SX the only progressive band worth listening to, or seeing live?

You misunderstand. Let me elaborate: You come here stirring shit in every topic (yet you're not a troll... ogre maybe?) and yet, you love bands more derivative, more banal than Symphony X, who are by no means the apex of any genre to begin with. Essentially, you my friend are the pot, calling this collective kettle nigredo. Make no mistake, it's highly entertaining.

The funniest thing about this whole thread is that people equate skill and complex composition to the best thing that's out there. Don't get me wrong, i'm not talking shit on Sx, but honestly, i'd rather listen to brainstorm and virgin steele most of the time because it ROCKS. I'd rather listen to AC/DC than Spiral Architect because sometimes simplicity is the strongest thing out there. I'd rather listen to simple, repetative power metal and heavy metal than prog because i can headbang to it, air guitar to it and rock out. If i want progressive, pink floyd and zeppelin have done an awesome job with that AND it still has rock.

So sure, there are good bands out there and I myself have gone to the point where symx isn't my top band, still thinkthey're cool and definitely talented (i don't think anyone is disputing that) but sometimes people just want something else.

And anyone who thinks that shit that makes you bang your head can't have good composition and lead work, check out Forbidden.

People can never totally agree about something as subjective as music. Everybody should already know this simple fact.
Yet, they do have common musical interests at times. That's essentially why they form such discussion groups dealing with a certain band or artist, to join those interested in that particular artist together.

With that said, and as Ken implied, coming to the SymX forum and posting "zomg, you people still listen to SymX?" is nothing but amusingly ridiculous.