People still listen to Symphony X?

I think if you want to compare two bands based on popularity, then by default Linkin Park and Korn are MUCH better than symphony x and have a FAR bigger and more important place in music. But that just doesn't jive, now does it?

Virgin Steele, for my money, are a superior band because they write music that is more up my alley. I'd recommend people check them out and do some decent research since the early stuff and the newer stuff are two completely different animals. Sure, it's all a matter of opinion and I wouldn't expect people to have the same opinion as me on the Symphony X official forum, but there it is. I'd kill to see Virgin Steele live man. They have to rock, plus David's voice is just insane.

quick edit: schenk, i'm mostly playing devil's advocate here because it's funny, but it really is silly to say that because a band has largely gone under the radar for a few decades yet still puts out awesome material that they are of a lower standard than another younger band who happened to get lucky. You don't listen to anything that's better than symphony x (again, personal opinion) but has gone largely unnoticed for a few decades? Another band i'll throw out there that has the same status in america: Running Wild. Fucking phenomenal band, has almost no buzz these days. Fucking shameful.

Running Wild...guess not much call for Pirate metal lately.:lol: Just teasing.

I'm just playing along too, Zach. I know it's all subjective...no such thing as a better band...Virgin Steele, SymX...who cares? I like plenty of music more than SymX...I just don't start idiotic threads about it.

Actually iTunes surprises me quite often...I've found some pretty obscure shit on there...but no Virgin Steele.:lol: Come on they have Angelwitch and Magnum! And Running Wild!

I think if you want to compare two bands based on popularity, then by default Linkin Park and Korn are MUCH better than symphony x and have a FAR bigger and more important place in music. But that just doesn't jive, now does it?

Virgin Steele, for my money, are a superior band because they write music that is more up my alley. I'd recommend people check them out and do some decent research since the early stuff and the newer stuff are two completely different animals. Sure, it's all a matter of opinion and I wouldn't expect people to have the same opinion as me on the Symphony X official forum, but there it is. I'd kill to see Virgin Steele live man. They have to rock, plus David's voice is just insane.

quick edit: schenk, i'm mostly playing devil's advocate here because it's funny, but it really is silly to say that because a band has largely gone under the radar for a few decades yet still puts out awesome material that they are of a lower standard than another younger band who happened to get lucky. You don't listen to anything that's better than symphony x (again, personal opinion) but has gone largely unnoticed for a few decades? Another band i'll throw out there that has the same status in america: Running Wild. Fucking phenomenal band, has almost no buzz these days. Fucking shameful.

You cannot possibly compare the MTV fangirl buzz that gave Linkin Park success with the detailed scrutiny of the progressive metal community that gave Symphony X success, and call both bands "lucky" in the same way. That's disingenuous and simply not fair to Symphony X. There are different metrics of success in different genres, and while it is ultimately a very subjective thing, you simply cannot with a straight face make the analogy "Linkin Park is to Symphony X as Symphony X is to _____."

Put up some of your favorite tracks from Virgin Steele or Running Wild, because I want to give them a chance--I just listened to a few from each and found nothing special. In fact, all the songs I heard sounded the same and it makes perfect sense (to me at least) why they never made the same splash that DWOT did. But I'll give a fair listen to anything you put up that is in your opinion worthy of fame.

Your really mastering the prickery today Schenk {I bow before you}
----------------------------------------------

Everything I listen to is old school, it fits. Threshold is my "new"est band. Played Rust in Peace last night, 1980 Crack the Sky now, working on aquanting myself to FWX during the week, down loaded some Manowar (needs more time but Im not flippin) and a run of Divine Wings inspired by the recent thread... I enjoy my music, thats what counts.

Brainstorm does kick ass...and as for Savage Circus, when the fuck are they gonna release a damn followup to Dreamland Manor?? Fargin bastages
Who knows... when they're done kicking out key/founding members? Oh wait... they are done with that *grumbles*

Angel Witch is one of the most amazing bands. Hey Schenk, you ever listen to Demon? I have just been turned onto this band and holy shit!!

You cannot possibly compare the MTV fangirl buzz that gave Linkin Park success with the detailed scrutiny of the progressive metal community that gave Symphony X success, and call both bands "lucky" in the same way. That's disingenuous and simply not fair to Symphony X. There are different metrics of success in different genres, and while it is ultimately a very subjective thing, you simply cannot with a straight face make the analogy "Linkin Park is to Symphony X as Symphony X is to _____."
Sure i can. And i did. Go ahead and put in any other band. How about Disturbed? Or Slipknot? Both bands are younger (as far as duration of the band's life) than symphony x, yet enjoy far more fame. What about The Sword, Trivium, or those kinds of bands? My point is that sometimes a band gets a bigger push and simply get a little lucky. Virgin Steele has great songs and have worked hard as any band for 25 years. I'm not implying that symphony x doesn't deserve anything, i'm saying that sometimes bands who work hard and kick ass get the shaft in the grand scheme of things.
Put up some of your favorite tracks from Virgin Steele or Running Wild, because I want to give them a chance--I just listened to a few from each and found nothing special. In fact, all the songs I heard sounded the same and it makes perfect sense (to me at least) why they never made the same splash that DWOT did. But I'll give a fair listen to anything you put up that is in your opinion worthy of fame.
We don't have the same tastes in music it seems, so i don't expect much from doing this. Keep in mind, neither of these bands are prog.
Virgin Steele:

Running Wild:

There are tons of great songs from both bands, and both deserve a good look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zach...I had a picture disc 45rpm of Demon's One Hell of a Night single back in the day. It had the coolest photo of some guy in a demon costume, so I bought it based on the art...which is what we did very often back in the early 80's because there was no real way to sample music before buying. We would scour the import sections for cool album covers and titles. Anyway...I took it home and played it mistakenly on 33rpm and thought it was the most awesome, evil, dark music I had ever heard...frightening for the time! Then I realized it was at the wrong speed...duh!...it was still pretty good...but not the same. Ha!

BTW...you were born 25 years too late...you would have loved those early days!

Hahaha, we actually did the same thing at Snake Mountain. our singer brought home a 7 inch from some band and we put it on and it was the most crushing, heavy true doom i'd ever heard. then we realized it was a 45 and it was some bullshit punk band. Hysterical! I think at some point i'll cover the doom version of the song haha.

And you're not kidding about the cover. :lol:

Sure i can. And i did. Go ahead and put in any other band. How about Disturbed? Or Slipknot? Both bands are younger (as far as duration of the band's life) than symphony x, yet enjoy far more fame. What about The Sword, Trivium, or those kinds of bands? My point is that sometimes a band gets a bigger push and simply get a little lucky. Virgin Steele has great songs and have worked hard as any band for 25 years. I'm not implying that symphony x doesn't deserve anything, i'm saying that sometimes bands who work hard and kick ass get the shaft in the grand scheme of things.

The problem with that analogy is that the bands' fans are from different crowds. The key to getting out of that popularity/quality problem is looking at the specific people that the band is drawing popularity from, and the breadth of the band's catalog and image. Image is another thing. Kids get into bands now not just for the music but because of the clothes, the social circles, and the like. I can't stand that, which is why I love to see Michael Romeo tearing it up on stage in those big white sneakers. :headbang:

The point being, Symphony X has done all of their heavy lifting with their music. They did it at a time when it was unpopular. Damnation Game back in 1997 was just awesome. Disturbed, Slipknot, Linkin Park, etc. have a lot more factors into their success; they simply plugged into the mainstream currents that were hot at the time.

So I'm agreeing with you in that some bands get a push. But I don't think Symphony X got any push at all besides writing awesome album after awesome album, and it's for this reason that you don't really have to deconstruct Symphony X's fame at all to see that it's purely from the music, and why you can't complain that Symphony X got lucky. Maybe other bands got UNlucky, but Symphony X and Linkin Park cannot be compared in any way.

We don't have the same tastes in music it seems, so i don't expect much from doing this. Keep in mind, neither of these bands are prog.

Pretty cool; Running Wild sounds a bit like the old Manowar but not as cheesy. I like it, but I think it's fair to say that Symphony X is more varied, and maybe that's part of why they have had more success.

Lots of rock/metal bands had a simple metal/ballad split in their songs. Symphony X has thrash, melody, orchestral, soft/ambient, shred, lots of different time signatures, and many styles of vocals, often all in one song, with an incredibly talented line-up. The bands you posted, while good, seem to go along more or less on one level of intensity and vocal style and are not as lyrical as Symphony X. Subjective, but I can see why Symphony X might appeal to a broader audience because their catalog is so varied.

I'd kill to see Virgin Steele live man. They have to rock, plus David's voice is just insane.

I saw them at ProgPower, and was actually right under the infamous "flaming sword" (I have sponsored all the bands in my signature... Im not just some farking doofus who throws random bands in my sig). My buddy cautiously turned to me, and said "dude, I hope the fuel stays on the sword...." :lol:

So both those bands don't sound like anything special to me, Iron Maiden and Manowar sound alikes. Musically speaking, not saying they're bad. I dunno how you can rate any of these guys next to symphony x on symphony x's forums. If you're here, chances are symphony x is either your favourite band, one of your favourite, or touched you some sort of special way. (not the michael jackson special way). Why create a thread to attempt to discredit a band on its own forum? its not only a waste of time but childish. Like where is the fight?

AMEN Batera, glad to see someone understands. Symphony X don't write songs to be played on the radio, to please all the highschool angsty souls. They write music because they like to write music, and love to just fucking jam. They don't let trends or any of that horse shit alter their musical creating process. T'is a good thing because they will always have that soul and feeling for music, however t'is a bad thing since sometimes it takes 5 years to release an album haha.

I belive its politically incorrect to put Symphony X, a progressive metal band next to Linkin Park, an alternative mainstream band. Generally speaking mainstream and progressive music in general are not two genres you will ever see together!

Hahaha fucking killer Do they kick ass live?

I had zero complaints with the set (aside from the fact that they did not play two of my favorite... The Burning of Rome, and Child of Desolation). I met the guys after the set, and thanked them for the experience. I told David "I am so happy to have seen you perform live... I needed to make sure some of those notes were actually produced by a human." He smiled, and gave me a good handshake.