Post-rock

Look, its simple, I personally find all the recent need of catagorizing similiar types of music a joke. Now take this one "post rock" for example. Its got "rock" in the title, there by indicating that it is some form of rock. Then it has "post" in it, indicating that it is after rock, indicating that there is no more rock. Well this is news to me. Or does it actually mean there is a group of people somewhere leaning up against a post, playing their form of rock, but dont want to admit to it ? even though they indicate such by associating with the term rock but want us to know they came after rock... in their quest for a self important identity.

WTF!!How did you get this thing all fuckered up? You must be gappin' big time, man. I suggested 2 bands and albums for you to spin, in order to maybe help you to understand/discover post/rock/metal. What the fuck does "people leaning up against a post, playing their form of rock, but don't want to admit to it?" What does that mean? I know you really don't care, but any credibility you had just went down the toilet. I think your "in a quest for a self-important identity" Your failing miserably, Razor!!

Naw man Im doing good, really. The point of my origional post was the stupidity of the term. Upon research I discovered I am not alone in my thoughts and even bands branded the term "post rock" have expressed similar feelings. Which indicates those that adorn the term are leaning up against a post...... like a rock....... lol

I did download a few Isis songs and didnt hear anything there to indicate it was deserving a special genre all its own. They were decent songs though but I'd rather listen to Fates Warning or say Porcupine Tree in that field of mood. If you can understand what Im trying to relay.

This is a genre I do not know much about, however I would like to eventually get into some Isis. They're about the only Post-Rock band I can think of :lol:

sludge? Some explain this to me.

I personally prefer the term post-metal. Some people call ISIS metal, but personally, I differentiate between them and other bands referred to as metal. So the prefix post is a useful one.

Naw man Im doing good, really. The point of my origional post was the stupidity of the term. Upon research I discovered I am not alone in my thoughts and even bands branded the term "post rock" have expressed similar feelings. Which indicates those that adorn the term are leaning up against a post...... like a rock....... lol

I did download a few Isis songs and didnt hear anything there to indicate it was deserving a special genre all its own. They were decent songs though but I'd rather listen to Fates Warning or say Porcupine Tree in that field of mood. If you can understand what Im trying to relay.

As I said above, it is about differentiation. I like post-metal as a term PURELY because if I say just metal, some people might think that I like Metallica, and I fucking hate them. Also a lot of the crap out there branding itself as metal, sucks balls. No feeling, no depth, just soulless fretwank.

ps: Porcupine Tree are an amazing band. I saw them at Shepherds Bush Empire in 2004, my first year of uni. Was a really good show! I should go see 'em again soon.

Certainly, to each his own. As I said before, imo, you seem to be stuck in an immovable musical place. Open some new doors and give attentive listens to music. You"ll reward yourself. Hey, just my opinion. PT happen to be one of my favorite bands. I prefer their earlier material. "In Absentia" from 2002 is an awesome album, but since then they really haven't incorporated anything new or different. I've been a big fan of their music since 1993-94. Their new one "Fear of a Blank Planet." is solid, but after the first 3 songs I lose interest, sort of has that "re-tread" feel to me. You know, feels like they could do a lot better.

Post-rock is a music genre characterized by the use of musical instruments commonly associated with rock music, but utilizing rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbre, and chord progressions that are not found in rock tradition. Simply put, it is the use of 'rock instrumentation' for non-rock purposes. Practitioners of the genre's style typically produce instrumental music.[1][2][3]

As with many musical genres, the term is arguably inadequate as a concise descriptor: for example, Don Caballero and Mogwai were among the more prominent bands of the 1990s described as post rock, but the two bands' music has very little in common besides the fact that they are both largely instrumental. As such, the term has been the subject of backlash from listeners and artists alike.[4]

Although firmly rooted in the indie scene of the 1980s and '90s, post-rock's style bears little resemblance musically to that of indie rock.

Aye there's some damn fine post rock out there, trouble is for every one decent band, there's 20,000 shit ones trying the same thing. I find this moreso in post-rock than almost any other genre.

I'm a fan of a fair few of the big ones - EitS, This is your Captain Speaking, The Drift, Unwed Sailor and Beware of Safety being the highlights of the genre for me.

But yeah, the shit to decent ratio just frustrates me.

Anyone else just love to sit back and relax with A Silver Mount Zion?

As for my post-rock favorites:
Tenhi

Yeah, definitely the wrong genre there. :lol:

My favorites are probably Hammock and Slint. I'm not really into this type of music, although some bands are definitely worth some attention.

Mono is indeed amazing...their latest, Hymn to the Immortal Wind, is definitely one of the best albums this year.

Others I enjoy:

Maserati
Valley of the Giants
Yndi Halda
If These Trees Could Talk
Do Make Say Think

and the others have already been mentioned!

Is Mono really that good? I tried one of their records and it was kind of boring. Any album worth checking out?

I know people who love them and people who hate them. If you're into really ambient stuff, then you should like it.
I just hate it when people dismiss them as "the same as every other post-rock band" when they're really not, they have a style of their own.
Check out You Are There.

Mono is indeed amazing...their latest, Hymn to the Immortal Wind, is definitely one of the best albums this year.

Others I enjoy:

Maserati
Valley of the Giants
Yndi Halda
If These Trees Could Talk
Do Make Say Think

and the others have already been mentioned!
Yeh Vman, HTTIW is certainly one of the best records I've heard in 2009. It's just beautiful and epic. Very talented band.