power metal

Blacksabbath

dark rider from afar
Aug 26, 2004
Quebec
i've been having a kind of power metal time these days and i dont know much groups, i know; freedon call, blind guardian, forgotten tales, stratovarius and i can't think of any more at the moment, anyway, can anyone suggest anything thats a bit like freedom call?

How bout some old school 80's Power Metal?

The usuals:

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction, Chain Of Command
Crimson Glory - Transcendance, Crimson Glory
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within, Awaken The Guardian
Omen - Battle Cry
Manilla Road - Mystification, Crystal Logic
Brocas Helm - Into Battle
Helstar - Nosferatu
Angel Dust - To Dust You Will Decay
Scanner - Terminal Earth

I can't stand power metal vocals, so I go with Ensiferum for my cheesy needs. Their power metal music with semi-black metal vocals is cool.

J. said:
I can't stand power metal vocals, so I go with Ensiferum for my cheesy needs. Their power metal music with semi-black metal vocals is cool.

You might be interested in Omen's first album. NWOBHM style Power Metal, kind of like a more riff oriented, more straight forward Diamond Head. And you'll hear no falsetto at all from their vocalist, since you obviously can't stand any vocals above baritone. ;)

Warmachine
Elvenking - Wyrd
Wuthering Heights - Far from the Madding Crowd
Thy Majestie
Tad Morose
Persuader ( first album ) ( the best among those I named )
Metalium

why has no one mentioned RHAPSODY or MANOWAR yet!?

some of my favorites are
blind guardian
rhapsody
manowar
helloween
sonata arctica
gravedigger
~gR~

One of my top choices would be any album by the band Kamelot. I personally think this band is one of the best power metal bands out there. Melodic choruses, without to many songs about dragons and stuff.

genocide roach said:

some of my favorites are
blind guardian
rhapsody
manowar
helloween
sonata arctica
gravedigger
~gR~

Manowar are much more Traditional Metal than anything else....I couldn't call any of their work Power Metal, except a select few of their earlier songs.

Grave Digger is awesome, if you like SPEEEEED FUCKING METAL.

EDIT: Kamelot are...interesting. I don't know if I would personally call them a Power Metal band, since a lot of their material is a far cry from the stuff I mentioned above. It's just as cheesy as Rhapsody, dragons or not. :p

Tad Morose rules in exponentially powerful ways. I strongly recommend any of their latest three albums.

Jean-Pierre said:
You might be interested in Omen's first album. NWOBHM style Power Metal, kind of like a more riff oriented, more straight forward Diamond Head. And you'll hear no falsetto at all from their vocalist, since you obviously can't stand any vocals above baritone. ;)
Cool. I'll give it a go. THanks.

I tried Children of Bodom, since they are basically power metal with black metal vocals, but they just suck. :puke:

J. said:
I tried Children of Bodom, since they are basically power metal with black metal vocals, but they just suck. :puke:

I like Hatebreeder, but their latest album was fucking stupid, and their new song conjured up N*Flaymes, it seems. :puke:

But yeah, I can send you the song Deathrider if you IM me.

genocide roach said:
Because Rhapsody sucks and Manowar isn't really power metal.

Now the real question-WHY HAVEN'T YOU LOSERS MENTIONED VIRGIN STEELE?!! Their last five albums pretty much sum up all that is awesome about power metal. The Marriage of Heaven And Hell Parts 1 and 2, Invictus and The House of Atreus Parts 1 and 2 are all utterly fucking brilliant. I'd say check out Invictus first, or download "Defiance," "Invictus," "Blood and Gasoline" and "The Burning of Rome."

Also awesome–Manticora, whose Hyperion is the best power metal album of however many years. Download songs from their official site at www.manticora.dk. Wuthering Heights, despite being named after a god-awful book, are pretty damn good and highly recommended to Blind Guardian fans. Brainstorm are good crunchy power/thrash; try and download "Holy War," "Highs Without Lows" and "To the Head."

Pyrus said:
Because Rhapsody sucks and Manowar isn't really power metal.

Blasphemy!

Anyways, I know some of these have probably been listed before, but here's a good list off the top of my head...

RHAPSODY
MANOWAR
Brainstorm
Fates Warning
Symphony X
Running Wild
Dio
Hammerfall
Narnia
Rob Rock (listen to Eyes Of Eternity)
Kamelot
Absolute Steel
Control Denied
(I dunno if these next two are power metal or progressive, but they still rock hard nonetheless...)
Therion
Ayreon (get The Human Equation)

P.S. Omen rocks! I just downloaded a few songs off Battle Cry today and I'm already a fan. :D

I love power metal and it's a fuckin' cool genre.

Try:

Angra
Nightwish
Sonata Arctica
Edguy
Stratovarius
Dragonforce
Hammerfall
Helloween
Primal Fear
BLIND GUARDIAN
Forgotten Tales
Fairyland
Kotipelto
Control Denied
Beto Vazquez
Metal Church (Power/Thrash)
Iced Earth

What is the point of that rather large picture?

Surely ManOWar deserve to be in this discussion with lyrics that go something along the lines of "saddle up my horse as I finish my ale..." etc etc

Giles said:
Surely ManOWar deserve to be in this discussion with lyrics that go something along the lines of "saddle up my horse as I finish my ale..." etc etc

Yes, because the classification of the music only depends on lyrical content. I guess Summoning are Power Metal.