QUESTIONS FOR *Matt*

First, let me say I really admire all LEOs, especially fellow Rockers. I served in the US Army for 6 years, so I understand the need to serve. I know it's past the deadline, but I will ask 3 questions anyway and hope they get answered...
1. I know that you were involved in getting Spirit of '76 ready to open (I have an interesting story about my visit before the opening that I'll PM to you if you want).. are you still involved in any way, do you have a piece or a share in that???

2. If a small underground band came out to Delaware, would you be interested in coming up and singing an IE or Pyramaze tune or 2 with them ust for fun?

3. I saw that you checked out someone else's video, so would you be so kind as to take a listen to these, keeping in mind that they are not mixed, tell me what you think and guess who the singer is on Battle Cry of Freedom (hint - you've toured with him before)?

http://www.battlecryband.com/music/battlecry.mp3
http://www.battlecryband.com/music/battlecryoffreedom.mp3
http://www.battlecryband.com/music/osiris.jpg

Great to have you back on the scene!!!
1. NO, IT'S JON'S STORE.

2. LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU'RE COMING OUT!

3. IS HARRY COMING WITH YOU? I'LL BE SURE TO HIDE MY BEER!

Hey Matt... It was a glorious day when I read you were returning to metal. Then there was the added bonus that you were joining one of my favorite bands.

I was deeply saddened when you left us, but I completely understand the importance of supporting your loved ones. I am sure it is much easier for those of us that that have families to understand this.

I was lucky enough to see you perform with IE back on your Horrorshow tour with Megadeth. I caught a show that was in some little town in central Wisconsin. I really appreciated hanging out with you in the retail area for 15 minutes while Megadeth was playing.

I have since seen IE version 2 with Ripper. They still put on a great show, but it is sad to hear your songs being sung without any bottom end. Ripper is one heck of a screamer, but he doesn't have the smooth low melodies that you blessed us with.

I have one question for you:

Your performance on Alive In Athens was mind blowing. Did you sing any of the vocals in the studio and mix them into the final recordings? We are all curious on how much technology is being used these days in creating live CDs/DVDs.

Thanks for your time and the music. I can't wait to purchase your next offering with Pyramaze.

Norm
FIRST, THANKS.

SECOND, WE DID HAVE TO DO SOME OVERDUBBING IN THE STUDIO DUE TO SOME PITCH ISSUES THAT I HAD. HIND SIGHT IS ALWAYS 20-20, AS THEY SAY. IF I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO THAT SHOW AGAIN, I WOULD HAVE MADE SURE THAT I WAS USING IN-EAR MONITORS. ( NOTE: I PURCHASED SOME FOR OUR VERY NEXT TOUR! )AS YOU CAN IMAGINE, THE CROWD AT THE TWO SHOWS WERE THE MOST INTENSE AND THE LOUDEST GROUP OF HUMANS I HAVE EVER PERFORMED IN FRONT OF. THEY ALSO KNEW EVERY SONG...AND SANG EVERY NOTE. IT WAS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO HEAR FROM MY MONITORS, BUT WE MANAGED TO STILL DO A PRETTY GOOD JOB OF PERFORMING THE TUNES. ALL OF THE STUDIO WORK THAT WE DID WAS RUNNING THROUGH THE STUFF, PUNCHING IN WHERE THERE WERE ISSUES. WE USED MY SAME LIVE RIG AND IT WENT REALLY QUICK. SO, THE TECHNOLOGY WASN'T THAT OVERDONE. EVERYTHING ELSE, I SUPPOSE, WAS MIXED LIKE ANY OTHER LIVE RECORD. I AM NOT, HOWEVER, A PRODUCER...SO I DON'T REALLY KNOW.

Hello Matt!

Well, I'm from Chile and I'm a very strong fan of you and your ex-band (T_T), i believe sincerely that you are the best metal vocalist EVER in the history!!... Iced Earth will never sound like with you man... Tim does what he can, isn't bad, but he haven't the passion and scenic presence as you possess it...You fucking rocks!!!

Going on to my questions:

1.-On the "Something Wicked..." album in the song "Melancholy (Holy Martyr)" talk about Jesus and his sacrifice for human kind... Do you believe in God?, Which is your relation with the christianity?.

2.- What were you doing to support your voice with the many shows? I'm an amateur vocalist, in fact last year i was a vocalist of an Iced Earth's tribute band (called STYGIAN :p), but after many essay or live show, my voice was remaining almost ruined :erk: , overcoat after singing songs like "Travel in Stygian", "The Path I Choose", etc. Give me some advice please!

3.-At some time, after having left the band 2003, I imagine that you were listening to the discs that you recorded with Iced Earth, or you were singing there someone of your favorite songs, probably those that you wrote. When this happened...Did it give to you desire of coming back to the band some time?.

4.- (And last XD) Which is your current relation with James MacDonough and Larry Tarnowski? They are your other 2 ex-partners who accompanied you for long years in the tours of the band and nowadays they aren't in Iced Earth either.

Being grateful to you very much for the answers and apologizing the extensive of these, I finish it, without before asking you to order a greeting all your fans from here in CHILE; in my country the Metal is a great movement, and generally so much people go to the concerts of foreign bands (that are the majority).

I'll be waiting for the response, Metal God, and come to my country with Pyramaze...Stay Metal!! :worship:
1. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY, I DO HAVE FAITH THAT THERE IS SOMETHING BIGGER THAN US THOUGH I DO NOT THINK OF MYSELF AS A RELIGIOUS MAN. I KNOW THAT THERE IS GOOD AND THERE IS EVIL...BOTH ARE AROUND US EVERYDAY. WHETHER THEY ARE THE WORK OF GOD OR THE DEVIL, I JUST DON'T KNOW.

2. THE NUMBER ONE THING IS BREATH CONTROL AND LEARNING TO UTILIZE YOUR DIAPHRAM. DO NOT SING IN YOUR THROAT. ALSO, IF POSSIBLE, TAKE SOME INSTRUCTION FROM A VOICE TEACHER.

3. I LISTEN TO THE STUFF A LOT. IT INSPIRES ME TO DO THE VERY BEST I CAN FOR PYRAMAZE!

4. I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM JIMMY OR LARRY, BUT I HEARD THAT JIMMY DID SOME FILL IN FOR JIM SHEPARD OF NEVERMORE. I HOPE THAT JIM S. IS DOING O.K. HE IS A SUPER NICE GUY AS WELL.

Dear Matt,

First of all thanks for all your past work....it inspired me, enlightened me and got me through some rough times. It's good to know you are back. :)

You also inspired me to take up singing....I learned a lot from my singing teacher and from experience. But since I'm also a bass-baritone and I use several techniques you use....I would hope you could help me solve something that's still pretty mysterious to me.

*sound engineering a voice* o_O

When you're not in a pro band you have to do this yourself....I just want to sing..but since I'm no pro, I have to do this myself :cry:
Can you tell me what you, or the pro-sound engineers do to your voice when performing live in regard to:

-high/mid/low/gain : What's the best mixture for rasp, clean, falsetto?
-compressor/limiter: Is usage worth the feedback dangers?
-effects : any tips?

Sorry for the tech talk....but I feel only you are the only one who can help me out with this.

Anyway I wish you all the best with Pyramaze and I'll look out for the first tour!
DUDE, I'M SORRY BUT I HAVE GOT NOTHING FOR YOU WHERE TECH STUFF IS INVOLVED...I'M A FRICKIN' IDIOT! YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO GET SOME INFO FROM A TECH CHAT OR JUST GO TO A MUSIC STORE THAT HAS PA EQUIPMENT. WHILE TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING, THOSE GUYS MIGHT GIVE YOU SOME TIPS. (ACTUALLY BUYING SOMETHING DOESN'T MAKE THE ADVISE "FREE".)

hey matt,

don't know if you'll actually get around to reading this but you're a deadset legend and by far my favourite metal singer.

just wondering how many arrests you've made in your career so far...and also have you ever shot/shot at anyone?

Cheers from Australia :headbang:
MORE THAN I CAN REMEMBER... WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO KNOW THAT?

Damn. I only found this thread today.

Anyway, i just want to take the chance to say that in my book you are one of the top 3 vocalists ever, right there with Dio and Dickinson. I really miss your voice in IE, hell, i really miss your voice, period! I'm glad you returned to Metal, we need a voice like yours. :headbang: I was extra glad because i already was a Pyramaze fan!:)

I really enjoyed reading this thread and all the care and trouble you had to answer everyone. Most of the questions i WOULD like to ask you are already taken care, so i thank you, and everyone who asked them! Anyway, i read that the distance factor is still a big issue for you guys, will it make it difficult for the band? I read as well that there won't be big tours and just some festivals, which is a shame, because i HIGHLY doubt that Pyramaze would ever come here, to Portugal. Anyway, maybe i'll find you in any of the european festivals one day.

BTW: i saw IE here in Portugal, during the "Horror Show" tour. One of the best gigs i've seen. Do you remember any of it? It's ok if you don't!:lol: :lol: :lol:

:worship:
I DO REMEMBER THE PLACE...IT KICKED ASS. IT WAS A WINERY AT ONE POINT I BELIEVE. I ALSO REMEMBER THAT GREEN DEVIL DRINK. MANY OF MY COMRADS WHERE USELESS IN THE DAYS FOLLOWING.

Hi, Matthew... :)
I thought you weren't gonna check this anymore...
What a coincidence cause last night I was thinking "God, I asked him about 'Reaping Stone' and 'Im-Ho-Tep' and I didn't ask him about 'Diary' ohh..." :cry:

Well, Matthew... I have to say the lyrics for "Diary" almost made me cry the first time I heard it... it's a beautiful song and I love the vocals melody... specially that part... "in the twilight of morning I rest my weary eyes... for the benefit's of the night's bounty were many... my soul's been redeemed" :oops: what was your work on that song besides writing?

By the way, I know it's annoying the whole Tim vs Matthew stuff... people keep comparing him with you... I just guess no one is able to do a better work than yourself (metal god), no one sings better than you!!! but Tim is a good singer... :) maybe Jon should sing... I like his vocals...

Hope to see you live someday...
Best wishes to you and your family...
Stay tuned and keep metal alive!!!

Sandra.

NOJE-18s29ICED_368.jpg

Welcome back Matt! Wish you the best with Pyramaze and I really hope that your music is going to be something special, not what we hear everyday :)

I've got to say that although I am a metal fan I dont watch bands live,and the only live I been to was a IE live that was simply awesome.

You are one of my favourite vocalists along with Rob Halford (why do people have to get old :( ?) and Bruce Dickinson.

I've got to say also that I have heard a lot of "special" metal voices out there, but only a few of them were using their voices in a way that it was special, in a way that it would touch you. You are one of those few.

Ok no more sucking!

-I have always wanted to know how it feels when you are up at the stage singing. Do you get emotional when you are singing some "special" songs, do you feel what the crowd feels too, or is it like doing your job and nothing more?
-It looks like that your voice is different than the ex-pyramaze vocalist. Do you plan to adapt on their songs or do you plan to go on with your own unique style?
-Also how do you feel about the metal scene today? I mean, comparing metal now with metal in it's early stages, I am a bit disappointed. Every day you hear just another band, and nothing new or special, like metal music was from 1970 to 1995 or so.

Wish you the best with Pyramaze and I really hope to see you live again :)

P.S We can finally see your face now that you cut your hair!

Dear Matt,

All i can say is that your time and particpation in Iced Earth truly means a lot to me. i remember i stayed up till 5 in the morning one night chatting with a buddy and the whole conversation was about how awesome you are. its an honor to make contact with you and i'd like to thank you and the rest of pyramaze for giving the fans this amazing oppurtunity.

here are a few questions:

1. it was asked before, but worded not so great, so you didnt understand it. there is a part in dante's inferno with very deep vocals, almost like chanting. the words are clearly not english. i heard a rumor somewhere that its basically just a bunch of different names for the devil. i keep hearing the word "natas" which happens to be "satan" backwords.

can you tell us what is being said?

2. how would you describe your relationship with Jon since you left IE? do you guys still keep in contact and such? i realize jon is an incredibly busy person at the moment.

3. realistically, is there any chance you guys will swing into chicago? ever since ive gotten into IE ive always wanted to meet you, but unfortunately that was after you had already left. hearing stories of people meeting you always gets me jealous lol.

4. have you been to any iced earth shows after your time with them? do you plan to?

5. whats your favorite memory from touring thru chicago? im also kinda curious as to what venue you guys played.

sorry for asking so much, but this is pretty much a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and i felt the need to seize the day.

thank you so much for all your responses so far.:headbang:

Hey bro,

Hey just to let you know that's bad ass u became a cop, I wanted to make it down there to New Orleans to go on a ride a long with u, that would've been bad ass, hopefully you got to kick some ass while u were down there, u gonna be a reserve cop now or what?

Well anyways everyone who heard you sign for Iced Earth is dying to hear you sing for Pyramaze, I'm sure you guys are gonna blast some epic shit, but my main question is why didn't you kick Tim Owens out of your spot in Iced Earth? It seemed like you were made for that band, but I'm sure once we all hear you sing for Pyramaze we'll all think you should've been with them all along, good luck man can't wait to hear the new metal.

-Chris "Dragonslayer" Garner

Well...too bad you don't know about the voice-tech stuff.
I always think it's a shame when a sound-guy really fuck things up. Especially when it's my voice (I sometimes really feel the need to strangle those guys :mad: )

Have you ever had bad experiences with sound on gigs? And how did you cope with it?
The worst thing I always get is when my volume is too low on the monitors....then I have to shout sooo hard to hear myself, that before the end of the set I am exhausted.

Dear Matt,

First of all THANK YOU ! Thank you for the wonderful voice and music. Your singing has been best friend for me in times of great sadness and joy.
I've never dreamt about being able to contact you so big thanks for making this possible.
I would like to ask some questions regarding your profession and not only:
1. Could you comment on that, that USA is being converted into a "police state" by taking civil rights away from the citizens under pretext of terrorist threats created by those in power ?
2. How do you feel about the war in Iraq ?

Here are some less serious questions
3. Do you have a favourite book/books or author/authors ?
4.How long did it take for you hair to grow that long and how did you manage to sustain it :)) ?
5. Have you ever considered doing a concert in Bulgaria ? ( You are most welcome hehe, lots of fans here )

I realize you must be very busy so thank you once more for reading this.
It is great that you are back in music ! Looking forward to hear new songs from you and Pyramaze.

May you and your family be blessed as your voice is a blessing.

With utmost respect,
Rossen

P.S. Sorry, just couldn't keep it short :lol:

Hey Matt,

One song by Iced Earth that made me fall in love with the band (and undoubtedly your amazing voice!) was Last December. I read somewhere that your old band, Cauldron, which was a band you had with your brother (so I've been told...) and that Last December was a song that Cauldron had done but with a different title. I found that strange since in the Burnt Offerings album it says that Jon wrote the song- not you. Just wondering if that was true or not... Also, I know it might be a little early to be asking this, but do you know where Pyramaze will be touring? PLEASE COME TO TORONTO I BEG OF YOU! I haven't been to a good concert in a long time... the last one being Iron Maiden in the fall....

Thank You

First off thanks for the music you have and will create! You are my top vocalist in my CD collection. I was born in Delaware but now live in Florida after getting out of the military. North Delaware is so crowded and has changed greatly since I lived there as a little boy. Just wanted to say hi and thanks......Can't wait to hear the next Pyramaze album \,,/

Well...too bad you don't know about the voice-tech stuff.
I always think it's a shame when a sound-guy really fuck things up. Especially when it's my voice (I sometimes really feel the need to strangle those guys :mad: )

Have you ever had bad experiences with sound on gigs? And how did you cope with it?
The worst thing I always get is when my volume is too low on the monitors....then I have to shout sooo hard to hear myself, that before the end of the set I am exhausted.

That happens to me sometimes too, but they tell me I'm really not supposed to hear myself well anyway! But I never listen to them so I just keep shouting... But I'm not that exhausted after it, I just feel even more passion for what I do. But in the end I'm mad at the sound check guys for screwing up the sound!

Hello dear Matthew...

I don`t expect an answer from you but I need to say hi and ask you something..

We met a lot of times at a Club in Germany in the City Offenbach, the Club was called Hafenbahn ( you remember that too hot and crazy club ? ) and since the Dark Saga you toured for every Album and made a show there with the final one for Horrow Show we needed to move to a bigger hall in Langen at the Stadthalle because you guys have been so famous at that time. It was always a pleasure meeting you...

Here comes a real compliment, my lovely girlfriend Linda ( thank heavens mine for almost 9 years now ) was never really a typical Metalhead like me, since she heard you singing on Something Wicked... she wanted to see you live and the first time she saw you singing live she said you are one of the best singers she has ever heard or seen on this planet - the best thing is that this was and is her honest opinion about your voice dear Matt.

The day we realized you are back in Pyramaze was the day we started to feel like something that has been missing for a long time has now returned back.

So just a few questions for you dear Matt.

1.) When can we hear you on some new Pyramaze tunes bro, it`s now almost August and we are really waiting for it.

2.) Didn`t you really missed doing shows for Rock Fans after you left Iced Earth ? Not talking about the Police Officer shows, altough I saw some pictures of you there and my girlfriend said: "Wow he still has that Stage Burning fever in his eyes...". You missed it, right ?

3.) Not a question...just statement. We love you bro, me and my girlfriend really do - so whenever and whereever - we will be there to see you live or buy records with you on it. Thank you Matt !!!

Best wishes from Chris & Linda !

Matt, you are one of the great ones. Although you might not be aware of it now, YOU ARE! And, I admire you immensely, and hope you stay as brilliant and inspiring as you always where. :)

but my main question is why didn't you kick Tim Owens out of your spot in Iced Earth?
What makes you think it's "Matt's spot"?
really.gif
And what makes you think Jon would agree to that? And what makes you think that Matt would even want to sing in Iced Earth anymore? I've heard IE's new record and I'm glad Matt didn't sing on it; the music is not worthy of his voice.

1.) When can we hear you on some new Pyramaze tunes bro, it`s now almost August and we are really waiting for it.
Pyramaze will probably enter the studio in the beginning of 2008, so we probably won't hear new material before the summer of 2008, maybe even fall or winter. Perhaps a little sample after they've recorded everything, but that's just speculating.