rasism - what should i do?

Allan said:
I don't like this reasoning that racism is bad because of holocaust etc. Seems dishonest and simulated or sth.

I just can't imagine anyone taking the time to talk to people of different cultural and/or ethnic background without noticing that actions etc aren't solely determined by that. I had an Iraqui friend, who I incidentally called Arcadio all the time, because he looked and acted exactly like an old Mexican friend of mine. I've met Kosovo-Albanians, Mexicans, Americans, Serbians who I felt more akin too than fellow Copenhageners. I simply can't believe people can be open-minded and racist at the same time. Rant over.

And you haven't even met Hungarians, hihi.

I agree, I don't think what Faelivrin says has anything to do with the holocaust. I don't think a certain situation, or how someone immediately reacts/feels in a certain situation in everyday life is much determined by historical stuff. I think if you behave in a way that can be deemed "racist" is largely motivated by being pissed off and trying to give some objective reason for your pissed-off-ness. Then comes the family's effect. And the holocaust may come somewhere at the end of the row.

What I mean, for example I don't hate communists because they assassinated a lot of rebels here (I don't even know who "they" are). It's history for me. If my father had been assassinated by them I might see it differently.

lord667 said:
My point of view on racism in general is, yes it's misguided, but there's a world of difference between a hardcore Paki-bashing neo-Nazi and some peaceful citizen who chooses not to associate with people from other ethnic groups
To me, it’s not a big difference whether people attack others verbally or physically or whether they silently accept this aggression. Maybe you’ve never been a victim of racism yourself, I don’t know. From what I have experienced, I can say that being avoided by others because of your nationality can hurt just as much as being openly attacked for that reason… At least that’s how I feel about it.
(By the way, I don’t think the holocaust would have been possible without the silent agreement of these so-called “peaceful citizens” …)

Dhatura said:
I agree, I don't think what Faelivrin says has anything to do with the holocaust. I don't think a certain situation, or how someone immediately reacts/feels in a certain situation in everyday life is much determined by historical stuff. The holocaust may come somewhere at the end of the row.
its a matter of realizing what has happened in the past and just rationally react to that by just not admitting to those kinds of thought.
any thought that in the slightest has to do with destructive ideoligies or social inequality is to me by default utterly wrong. we all know where it can lead to. if u have such ideas or convictions, yer able to spead them, dividing cancer cells of our world. that cancer can grow fast, cos we subject to power and fear so easily. a mass of such ppl helps ignorance take over control. there the shit hits the fan. u can see a clear cause & effect with general racism and holocaust or genocide.

Cerulean said:
:OMG:
Thumbs up for all the comments made here. How goddamn ignorant you are, Faelivrin... Do you actually have history at school? Or are you proud of Hitler & co?

NO !! WHAT DO YOU THINK!! I DON'T WANNA KILL ANYBODY!!! I HAVE HISTORY AT SCHOOL! ech... you think that i HATE blak people and others!! that i want to kill them all cause the are worse!!! i say : NO I DON'T WANT. i just don't want to talk with black people and jums cause in my house parents tells me that they don't like jums... and my friends say that they hate jums and black mans... i do not hate them cause i don't know many of them.. but when i met jum and black man it was always bad experience....

but whatever.. think that i am ignorant that i am stupid... i will never talk about what i know and what i think...

i will never go back to this forum... i don't wanna to be this black sheep...
goodbye everybody and i'm sorry that i hurt you............... :(

Tools, what I'm saying is that fear is not rational. If you say racism comes from fear, how can you argue with "rational reactions"?

Brainwashing is another thing, the "silent agreement" or "accomplice" of the masses is yet another. How can we tell how people reacted on a personal level? A lot of people weren't revolutionaries in Hungary in 1956 and after and wouldn't admit their sympathy, cause a whole nation was silenced, it was a matter of life and death. I don't think I can tell how I would react if my life or my family's life was at stake. I might become a traitor right away, who knows?

snow2fall said:
To me, it’s not a big difference whether people attack others verbally or physically or whether they silently accept this aggression. Maybe you’ve never been a victim of racism yourself, I don’t know.
From what I have experienced, I can say that being avoided by others because of your nationality can hurt just as much as being openly attacked for that reason… At least that’s how I feel about it.
(By the way, I don’t think the holocaust would have been possible without the silent agreement of these so-called “peaceful citizens” …)

The Holocaust would have happened. First and foremost, because it wasn't widely advertised at the time - the German people and the world at large knew it only from vague rumours until the Allies reached the death camps. The people didn't "silently agree"; they mostly didn't even know it was happening. Secondly, even if the people did know, there would have been little they could do about it. They were well in the grip of the iron fist. Speaking out against the camps would have landed you in one, never mind acting against them.

I've never suffered "active" racism, but "passive" racism, sure. Being avoided for being white didn't hurt any more than when it was for listening to Marilyn Manson, or for just generally being a miserable bastard. I suppose if you want everyone to like you, the fact that they hate you for something you can't change must be hard to take.

Faelivrin said:
NO !! WHAT DO YOU THINK!! I DON'T WANNA KILL ANYBODY!!! I HAVE HISTORY AT SCHOOL! ech... you think that i HATE blak people and others!! that i want to kill them all cause the are worse!!! i say : NO I DON'T WANT. i just don't want to talk with black people and jums cause in my house parents tells me that they don't like jums... and my friends say that they hate jums and black mans... i do not hate them cause i don't know many of them.. but when i met jum and black man it was always bad experience....

but whatever.. think that i am ignorant that i am stupid... i will never talk about what i know and what i think...

oke, ur friends told u so, ur parents too... why dont u make ur own decisions about that subject? I mean if ur parents and friends jump of the bridge u do it too just cause they say so? I guess no... so wake up and make ur experiences, then u can say if it was bad or not...

Faelivrin said:
but whatever.. think that i am ignorant that i am stupid...

You bloody are... Are u 13 or what ?

Faelivrin said:

Good riddance

snow2fall said:
I can say that being avoided by others because of your nationality can hurt just as much as being openly attacked for that reason… At least that’s how I feel about it.

That's the truth, and denying this fact is latent racism. It's also true for people who are discriminated against for their gender or sexual orientation for instance.

Dhatura said:
Tools, what I'm saying is that fear is not rational. If you say racism comes from fear, how can you argue with "rational reactions"?
tools said:
its a matter of realizing what has happened in the past and just rationally react to that by just not admitting to those kinds of thought.
of ignorance i shouldve added. its an addition to words that complement your's. what i'm basically saying is that once you feel yerself slipping into racist thoughts, you gotta see whats happened from that point on before - division, hate, riot, killing, genocide, war. you dont wanna have that coming, and u dont wanna that happening to others, right? 'then kill the 1st thought.'
i think u gotta see the perspect of your thoughts and emotions, why they are taking place, sprout. its a choice. its a choice not seeing it, or not wanting to fight it. at least, thats my opinion.

Brainwashing is another thing, the "silent agreement" or "accomplice" of the masses is yet another. How can we tell how people reacted on a personal level? A lot of people weren't revolutionaries in Hungary in 1956 and after and wouldn't admit their sympathy, cause a whole nation was silenced, it was a matter of life and death. I don't think I can tell how I would react if my life or my family's life was at stake. I might become a traitor right away, who knows?
either you or yer mum point blank. yes its a tough one. its a rather strong example tho.

Allan said:
Saying that holocaust happened because of racism makes about as much sense as saying it happened because of evil people.
u obviously didnt get my point.

edit: if that comment was a reaction to mine like :D

lord667 said:
My point of view on that subject is that on average, racists are nowhere near the worst people on Earth.

My point of view on the subject of the thread is, allow racists to chatter about whatever they want to unless they start harassing individual board members.

My point of view on racism in general is, yes it's misguided, but there's a world of difference between a hardcore Paki-bashing neo-Nazi and some peaceful citizen who chooses not to associate with people from other ethnic groups, and it annoys me to hear "all <insert group here> are scum", no matter the subject, and no matter whether or not it's hyperbole.
I second that!

Allan said:
Saying that holocaust happened because of racism makes about as much sense as saying it happened because of evil people.
can i joke about this and say it didn't happend?

like that one nazi who came here a few months ago.

hey mates, please don't start to quarrel too harsh. i think the most important is we all agree racist isn't good thing.

Faelivrin said:
but when i met jum and black man it was always bad experience....
ah... you met one black man (in your school) and one jum (in your class) in your life. huge experience, isn't it?