Scott Ian: Anthrax's Singer Issues Paved the Way for the Damned Things

I am not saying that some audiences didn't like the Bushthrax era. Especially in Europe. In the USA on a Big 4 I can promise you not many thrash metal fans are into Safe Home and what not.

You are always talking about "thrash metal fans" yet this is not any close community. I was at Wacken, probably the biggest European metal festival and there were crowds headbanging to Motörhead, Death Angel, Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Saxon and so on. Megadeth is not any "thrash" either and you know it. As far as Anthrax goes, even them never really were pure thrash metal, not even in the Joey era because his Steve Perry-like vocals never resembled anything what you purists may label "the thrash metal vocals". So which fans are we talking about? In here I've seen hardcore fans, death metal fans...even hip-hop fans for fuck's sake.

I was at Wacken, probably the biggest European metal festival and there were crowds headbanging to Motörhead, Death Angel, Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Saxon and so on.
from what i've read is Wacken the biggest metal-festival of the world, i was never there but i read that the festival is getting more and more commercial with every year which means that the percentage of non-metal-acts on the bill is growing.

Metallica-crowds are first and foremost mainstream-crowds, most of their fans are fixated on Metallica and probably never heard of Anthrax before. they don't care if Anthrax are fronted by Joey, John or Don Nelson. and in case you are worried about the Slayer-fans, if they can deal with songs like 'Mama said' or 'Nothing else matters' then they could also deal with songs like 'Toast To The Extras' or 'Nothing'.

IF they played Toast to Extra's on the big 4 they would probably walk out of those arenas on stretchers :lol:

Yeah because they always played that song live. :rolleyes:

And yeah, thrash metal fans may associate Joey with Anthrax way more than John...but they also associate Nick Menza and Marty Friedman (or Gar Samuelson & Chris Poland, or Chuck Behler & Jeff Young) more than Shawn Drover and Chris Broadrick...

And they probably associate Cliff Burton or Jason Newstead with Metallica more than Rob Trujillo...

But they still go and enjoy those bands. Megadeth still plays a large portion of non-thrash metal material from Countdown To Extinction, Youthansia, Cryptic Writings, etc...people still have a good time. Metallica does a bit of post-black album stuff too. Those bands still play a lot of older material. People leave happy.

Anthrax would be no different. They'd have a few different members, they'd play a bunch of classics, and they wouldn't be forced to ignore the last 2 decades of material. You're fucking delusional if you think they were going out with John Bush with setlists of nothing but Toast To The Extras and similar songs. They did all of the classics, plus a bunch of cool heavy John Bush stuff like 1000 Points Of Hate, Room For One More, etc...

You are always talking about "thrash metal fans" yet this is not any close community. I was at Wacken, probably the biggest European metal festival and there were crowds headbanging to Motörhead, Death Angel, Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Saxon and so on. Megadeth is not any "thrash" either and you know it. As far as Anthrax goes, even them never really were pure thrash metal, not even in the Joey era because his Steve Perry-like vocals never resembled anything what you purists may label "the thrash metal vocals". So which fans are we talking about? In here I've seen hardcore fans, death metal fans...even hip-hop fans for fuck's sake.

If you think the first 4 Megadeth albums are not thrash you are completely insane.:yow:

Yeah because they always played that song live. :rolleyes:

And yeah, thrash metal fans may associate Joey with Anthrax way more than John...but they also associate Nick Menza and Marty Friedman (or Gar Samuelson & Chris Poland, or Chuck Behler & Jeff Young) more than Shawn Drover and Chris Broadrick...

And they probably associate Cliff Burton or Jason Newstead with Metallica more than Rob Trujillo...

But they still go and enjoy those bands. Megadeth still plays a large portion of non-thrash metal material from Countdown To Extinction, Youthansia, Cryptic Writings, etc...people still have a good time. Metallica does a bit of post-black album stuff too. Those bands still play a lot of older material. People leave happy.

Anthrax would be no different. They'd have a few different members, they'd play a bunch of classics, and they wouldn't be forced to ignore the last 2 decades of material. You're fucking delusional if you think they were going out with John Bush with setlists of nothing but Toast To The Extras and similar songs. They did all of the classics, plus a bunch of cool heavy John Bush stuff like 1000 Points Of Hate, Room For One More, etc...

I guess when it comes down to it the only band on that big 4 that is credible is Slayer. All the other big 4 bands have done some pussy ass shit. Slayer never did, and never will. I just respect the shit out of them for sticking to doing what they have always done even when that form of metal was almost dead.

I guess when it comes down to it the only band on that big 4 that is credible is Slayer. All the other big 4 bands have done some pussy ass shit. Slayer never did, and never will. I just respect the shit out of them for sticking to doing what they have always done even when that form of metal was almost dead.

Just because ALL of the music they made wasn't thrash metal doesn't mean it was automatically "pussy ass shit." They all made some great music outside of the thrash metal genre. Slayer never changed...but they also made some BORING ASS SHIT because it was the same thing over and over and over again. Though I do like Slayer...listening to them gets old very fast because there's almost no variation whastoever. And just because a band changed their sound it doesn't automatically mean they didn't stick to their guns. They were making the music that they WANTED to make (otherwise they wouldn't have made it). Much more respectable to me than recycling the same thing over and over and over again and getting stale just because you're afraid to piss off anyone.

i don't mind if a band tries different things but 'Mama said' coming from the same band that gave us '...And Justice For All', 'Ride The Lightning' and 'Kill 'Em All'? 'Toast To The Extras', 'Harms Way' & 'Pieces' coming from the same band that gave us 'Among The Living', 'Spreading The Disease' and 'Fistful Of Metal'? songs like 'Died Dead Enough' and 'Breadline' coming from the band that gave us 'Rust In Peace' and 'Killing is my business...'? yes there's not much variation in Slayer's music and their last couple of records were just bad copies of 'Reign In Blood' but at least they never sold out or wrote some songs for pussies. Slayer is the only true Thrash Metal-band out of the Big Four. Metallica and Megadeth are Sellouts and Anthrax have always been Metallica-wannabes.

Really, Anthrax putting one country song on one album isn't that bad. I'm more annoyed that they would have stupid shit like 604 and Cupajoe listed as songs on the album. Keep that shit as b-sides.

And I agree that Slayer is pretty much doing the same shit, all Kerry's riffs sound the same to me. But band's really shouldn't have to feel confined to style so they don't piss off their fans. My deal with Anthraxax is first of all, they weren't playing the music they wanted just because they wanted to play it, they were trying to jump on the latest trends imo. And Bushthrax didn't mature the band at all, compare the lyrics from POT to SOWN. From writing Keep It In The Family & In My World to 'I hate you and you hate me' or 'my hate for you is one to fear'. Stupid shit, I would have liked it when I was 13 but I was into Godsmack back then too. John Bush was never able to pull off the tough guy thing, it's fucking laughable.

i don't mind if a band tries different things but 'Mama said' coming from the same band that gave us '...And Justice For All', 'Ride The Lightning' and 'Kill 'Em All'? 'Toast To The Extras', 'Harms Way' & 'Pieces' coming from the same band that gave us 'Among The Living', 'Spreading The Disease' and 'Fistful Of Metal'? songs like 'Died Dead Enough' and 'Breadline' coming from the band that gave us 'Rust In Peace' and 'Killing is my business...'? yes there's not much variation in Slayer's music and their last couple of records were just bad copies of 'Reign In Blood' but at least they never sold out or wrote some songs for pussies. Slayer is the only true Thrash Metal-band out of the Big Four. Metallica and Megadeth are Sellouts and Anthrax have always been Metallica-wannabes.

:worship::worship::worship:

Not to mention 'South of heaven' and 'Seasons in the abyss' coming from the same band that gave us 'Show no mercy' and reign in blood'. :lol:

Really, Anthrax putting one country song on one album isn't that bad. I'm more annoyed that they would have stupid shit like 604 and Cupajoe listed as songs on the album. Keep that shit as b-sides.

And I agree that Slayer is pretty much doing the same shit, all Kerry's riffs sound the same to me. But band's really shouldn't have to feel confined to style so they don't piss off their fans. My deal with Anthraxax is first of all, they weren't playing the music they wanted just because they wanted to play it, they were trying to jump on the latest trends imo. And Bushthrax didn't mature the band at all, compare the lyrics from POT to SOWN. From writing Keep It In The Family & In My World to 'I hate you and you hate me' or 'my hate for you is one to fear'. Stupid shit, I would have liked it when I was 13 but I was into Godsmack back then too. John Bush was never able to pull off the tough guy thing, it's fucking laughable.

At least '604' is fast and heavy. D.R.I. and Nuclear Assault also put out 20-30 second songs but nobody ever said anything.

Just because ALL of the music they made wasn't thrash metal doesn't mean it was automatically "pussy ass shit." They all made some great music outside of the thrash metal genre. Slayer never changed...but they also made some BORING ASS SHIT because it was the same thing over and over and over again. Though I do like Slayer...listening to them gets old very fast because there's almost no variation whastoever. And just because a band changed their sound it doesn't automatically mean they didn't stick to their guns. They were making the music that they WANTED to make (otherwise they wouldn't have made it). Much more respectable to me than recycling the same thing over and over and over again and getting stale just because you're afraid to piss off anyone.

+1.

But, some are still going to argue....blah, blah, blah. Myself, I thought "Toast" was pretty bitchin. Certainly not thrash, or metal, but a good song.

As I said 1000+ times before, I judge the music on its quality, not the genre.....if it's a good song, it's a good song. Man, I get sick of those guys who have to judge everything by one "standard". MaidenFan should know. IM hardly puts together a song under 6 minutes anymore, and could care less. To compare them from their salad days (82-90) to now, you would hardly know they were the same band. Do I still like 'em? Sure. But they have changed from a metal band to a progressive metal band. If you like it, groovy, if not, "WHO CARES?"

Have a Blatz, boys, and clean the spunk from your ears.....

Not to mention 'South of heaven' and 'Seasons in the abyss' coming from the same band that gave us 'Show no mercy' and reign in blood'. :lol:

Not sure what your point is here. If you are trying to say those albums are so much different then I guess that is a good thing as people like to say Slayer just puts the same album out over and over again. Which I completely disagree with. Those albums are all different but are all thrash/speed metal and great classic albums.

It's all cool. Respect everyone's opinion and whilst I don't agree with a lot of IMF's views, he is still part of this board.

Viva le difference! Otherwise this would be a very boring place.

I think the thing that annoys me more is all the old posters who left when Joey came back on board or even after the first reunion. Really miss some of those older posters on here.

Me too. I have to say, this is the quietest the board has ever been, to the best of my knowledge.