So what be the next big trendy thing?

Arch said:
dimmu_spiritual.jpg
that almost made my day.. thank you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blue_Jay said:
Why do I think a genre called country metal is gonna start up soon. I mean think about it it's really one of the only genres metal hasn't taken use of yet (other than the Rebel band).

When I read that I thought "Ummmm.... maybe there's a very good reason for that... I mean... country? :erk:

Meshuggah-I is probobly my favourite. As for the next trendy thing, a shit load of shit bands are going to get pick and say they owe it all to green day, there's going to be a shitload of green day cops bands, which we dont need cause green day blows ass.

Not matter what trend appears next the critics will always continuely say that real metal is dead even though its never been trendy and the scene is very much alive below the mass media radar.

I never once thought that arena rock and hair bands had underground crediblity to begin with.

Spectacular Views said:
country metal does exist btw although i forget band names right now

Jeff Walker und Die Fluffers - Welcome to Carcass Cuntry.

While mostly weirder than, say, Napalm Death covering chamber music, there's the odd gem on that album.

Mississipi - sung in German with a mid-song blastbeat is great, and the covers of Just checked in to see what condition my condition is in and Keep on Rocking in the Free World r00l.:kickass:

TylerTheNuke said:
I really doubt power metal will be it. It doesn't have the coolness that it needs. The masses like thier metal to have very certain characteristics. Look at popular heavy music. Punk. Thrash. nu-metal. What it all has in common is what the next big thing will have. Well, everyone has to be able to connect with it, for one. Lyrical themes preteens and teens associate with. It has to be simple, so people can understand it. That rule has exceptions like tool, but in general, it has to be comprehensible at a low level. It has to be somewhat catchy. I must say, that among all of the ideas, country metal sounds the most feasible, although it is a stretch.

A lot of that is very true, but I think many of those traits (simplicity, catchiness, teen-oriented lyrics) are just the icing on the cake, the qualities that will really push a band or style over the edge. For the next big thing to really get the ball rolling, it has to start at a more underground level. As you mentioned, a lot of people must be able to relate to it (that is, more than just hardcore metal fans), and the easiest way to do that is mixing genres. Grunge, nu-metal, and metalcore/screamo all got started that way: they had crossover appeal. Contemporary mainstream metalcore seems, in essence, to fuse downtuned metalish tough-guy hardcore with Gothenburg death metal---two scenes that really only began to surface within the last decade. I think that really helped to give it that cutting edge mass appeal. That's why I also don't believe power metal can be the next best thing. Something with power metal influences might get big (like how currently popular metalcore bands have death metal influence to a degree), but like death metal, black metal or any other one-word subgenre, it's existed for years in its "purer" form without changing a whole lot, and even if it gets slightly bigger at times, it can only go so far without being watered down.

We need some trendy cemetary/funeral music with organs the entire song to show the emo croud what somber is!

The Greys said:
We need some trendy cemetary/funeral music with organs the entire song to show the emo croud what somber is!

Emo Death Metal! featuring crying growls by WWE's own Undertaker!

The Greys said:
Meshuggah have done the samething for a decade. Does anyone even like them anymore ?. I have not heard any talk. Meshuggah is too metal as tool is to hard rock.
Chaosphere didn't sound like Destroy Erase Improve, Nothing didn't sound like Chaosphere, "I" didn't sound like Nothing,.....