Songs Opeth should cover (or not...)

This may sound a little wierd, but I'd like to hear Mike and Per's take on Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel. I think they could really do justice to the song and for some reason the song just seems to fit the Opeth mold.

Pink Floyd's "The Nile Song" with death metal vocals. I think that would make an excellent Opeth cover.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread from page 6, but I just heard this song on the radio and (since I've laways liked it, even though it's a radio-friendly pop song) I felt like it would be a really great song for Opeth to cover.

I'm talking about "Moonlight Shadow" by Mike Oldfield.

What do you guys think. Anyone else like that song? It's got great guitar melodies and chord-progressions that would adapt well to Opeth's style...

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link. Make sure to listen to the end, as there's a great solo...
Now, just imagine this a little slower, a bit doomy, transposed into a minor key or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread from page 6, but I just heard this song on the radio and (since I've laways liked it, even though it's a radio-friendly pop song) I felt like it would be a really great song for Opeth to cover.

I'm talking about "Moonlight Shadow" by Mike Oldfield.

What do you guys think. Anyone else like that song? It's got great guitar melodies and chord-progressions that would adapt well to Opeth's style...

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link. Make sure to listen to the end, as there's a great solo...
Now, just imagine this a little slower, a bit doomy, transposed into a minor key or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOLkPbPCbk

Holy shit - I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard it on the radio last week...

ONE OF THESE DAYS.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heh:

(in growlings styles blak metals rebel!!:heh:)
Exactly what I've been thinking!

Opeth could cover Britney Spears and turn it into the best music ever... I'm not suggesting that they DO cover Britney Spears, I'm just using her as an example because it's the worst music I can think of.