Steve Wilson and Opeth

I personally enjoy Steven Wilson's involvement with Opeth very much. In terms of the sonic elements, I think Opeth made an excellent choice. As far as ideas of how to make things sound unique and interesting Steven Wilson, I think, is nothing short of brilliant. Yes, I like the telephone voice, fuck off.:Spin:

As far as his musical involvement in the band, I can agree that he's due to back off, and I think the band themselves may have unconsciously noticed that as well. I will say one thing, though. I really like Damnation, and that album would not have been nearly as enjoyable as it was for me if not for Steven Wilson.

As for Steven Wilson being elitist. . so what? Seriously. He has every right to. People on UM are so willing to get behind any metal elistist that would be doing the exact thing as Steven Wilson, except in a more vulgar and offensive manner.

I can understand why people don't like his involvement with Opeth, but I do. I really don't see how much input he could have on the next Opeth project if Mikael's 'bordering to black metal' idea remains a factor.

BTW, I like Porcupine tree, too. If not for Opeth, I wouldn't have discoverd them. I'm listening to 'The Creator has a Mastertape' right now.

Well. Steve Wilson has done some good things, and some not so good things. He has been very very good at making the riffs and arrangements to stand apart from eachother. I appreciate that.

Doesn't Wilson pretty much admit that they're using auto-tune while Mike's recording the vocals for the aforesaid Master's Apprentices vocal harmony part?
If it's true then that's not exactly a feather in his hat.

Djm said:
As for Steven Wilson being elitist. . so what? Seriously. He has every right to. People on UM are so willing to get behind any metal elistist that would be doing the exact thing as Steven Wilson, except in a more vulgar and offensive manner.

Agreed, I think that some people are taking a disagreement in opinion with him and making it into some kind of slur against his character. The honest truth is that I myself have found little in most metal bands outside of Opeth that I care for (although it's always possible I'll find more, I do keep an open mind, and there's much I have yet to hear), so that comment just never got to me the way it did to some people. Opeth honestly is a distinct entity from most metal--at least, I regard it that way. So I did not see his words as elitist, just that he and I seem to have similar preferences in music. I guess we're pretty much on the same wavelength considering I came over to Opeth from prog/classic rock.

ATARI said:
I feel sorry for opeth for having such ignorant fans. :yuk:

If you're referring to me, then I fail to see how I am being ignorant. I just wondered who was using autotune, that's all.

*shrugs*
Then again, I do get fairly defensive when I'm tired.
:)

Actually, I'm becoming quite a big fan of Steve Wilson. I have four Porcupine Tree LPs and will definitely be getting the upcoming release. I didn't actually hear any of his stuff until a couple of years ago, although I had heard OF him a while before. I'm also very interested to hear Mikael's contributions in the upcoming album.

OK, now I'm going off topic. Once again, I'm tired. :erk:

Like them or not, I'm still going to listen to the new album. I'll give it a chance to see if Mikael's added something great to it, and whether it's a good album in general. It's not like I WANT to hate SW, I just don't like what I've seen so far. As for his involvement in Opeth's albums: He's produced them well, but with far less *character* than Orchid and Morningrise, or even the other two. Swano > Wilson, in my opinion :)

NO WILSON:
opeth3.jpg

STEVEN WILSON:
opeth2.jpg

SEE?

To me, I still hear the same guy that sang and wrote songs from the pre-Blackwater Park days on the last three albums. I think people make too much of a big deal out of Mr. Wilson (including himself).

I think alot of people try to blame him for not liking Opeth anymore (which is entirely logical, since there is so much hype around "Steven Wilson: The PRODUCER!!!") when really it's seems pretty simple to me: Opeth's musical tastes and instincts have evolved over the years and some of ours have not evolved (either in the same direction, or at all).

Luckily for me, I get much enjoyment from each album, so I can't complain.

I think Wilson does a good job on executing Mikael's ideas soundwise, yet i certainly dont want him to musically contribute to the albums.

Steven Wilson's contributions to Opeth are fine...I'm not the kind of person who dissects music to the point of how a tone sounds or not so I can't really say anything about that...I'm more concerned about how the music makes me feel than the technical aspects that went into creating it...However, I do think that over the past 4 years, Mikael has become quite starry-eyed over SW and Opeth need to regain some autonomy. I'd like to see what they can do without having SW's fingers in the pie, so to speak...