Steve Wilson and Opeth

Moonlapse said:
Why not compare the sound of Deliverance to that of Still Life? Whilst Still Life has alot of obvious mastering and compression fuckups, it is still hardly inferior to Deliverance.

Bullshit. Totally rubbish. Still Lifes quality sucks. Deliverance is fucking perfect.

How does Still Life's quality suck, exactly? It was a marked progression from MAYH and alot of fans still consider it to be the best - at least those who can't take the over compressed sound of BWP.

The fact is that the Still Life sound is very natural and proggy, as Peter said on the DVD they recorded a few parts of it in that old prog studio. This enhances the melancholic nature of the album and adds an echoing atmosphere that isn't present on the recent releases.

There are so many layers of sound in Still Life that it's amazing the album could even be mastered properly. You know what else I like about it? The acoustic levels aren't as extreme as the distorted guitars cranked up till the tubes in those Laneys are frying.

The fact is that Still Life struck a balance. It neither sounds bad (by most people's account) nor is over produced.

Agreed. Opeth's sound was progressing very well even before Wilson took the helm. I, for one, think that Dan Swano would do a great job of one of their albums these days, look at some of his more recent work. Nothing wrong with it, I say. He'd probably give an Opeth album a lot more atmosphere with a lot less telephone-voice and the over compression that plagues BWP, etc. However, Opeth has made their choice, we have to live with it, and it's not gonna change.

Moonlapse said:
And I guess it doesn't help that Mike hates the production of Crimson II :(

The more I listen to Crimson II the more I dislike it also.
Vocals too quiet, or something... not sure. Great album though.
Crimson II > Deliverance \m/

Moonlapse said:
How does Still Life's quality suck, exactly? It was a marked progression from MAYH and alot of fans still consider it to be the best - at least those who can't take the over compressed sound of BWP.

Yes, it was better than MAYH, but MAYH has perhaps the worst quality (with exception of Orchid maybe). I think Still Lifes quality sucks. It feels like everything goes over in eachother, and it does not sound that clear and good. A bit to diffused maybe.

Moonlapse said:
The fact is that the Still Life sound is very natural and proggy, as Peter said on the DVD they recorded a few parts of it in that old prog studio. This enhances the melancholic nature of the album and adds an echoing atmosphere that isn't present on the recent releases.

I disagree. I think it's too old, and stupid for metal.

Moonlapse said:
There are so many layers of sound in Still Life that it's amazing the album could even be mastered properly. You know what else I like about it? The acoustic levels aren't as extreme as the distorted guitars cranked up till the tubes in those Laneys are frying.

That's perhaps the bad stuff, too many layers for beeing mastered properly. I believe Deliverance has as many layers on certain tracks, but it actually works.

Moonlapse said:
The fact is that Still Life struck a balance. It neither sounds bad (by most people's account) nor is over produced.

I doesn't sound bad, but it's far from perfect.

Moonlapse said:
I still think Ihsahn, Mike and Dan need to collaborate.

I think that would be cool, but I think it would turn out like bloodbath, some tribute band to black metal this time instead of death......or it would be very fun band......

I personally think that Wilsons statement regarding the "sophistication" of "metal" is one of the most stupid comments ever. There are so many metal bands that are more "sophisticated" (this word sucks.) than anything Porcupine Tree has ever done..

And i hate generalizations.

mot- said:
I personally think that Wilsons statement regarding the "sophistication" of "metal" is one of the most stupid comments ever. There are so many metal bands that are more "sophisticated" (this word sucks.) than anything Porcupine Tree has ever done..

And i hate generalizations.

You hate generalizations, yet your argument here is that because some metal bands might be more sophisticated than PT, that PT is not more sophisticated than the majority of metal...which it is.

You guys are often arguing the forerunners of metal in this discussion...but theres thousands of metal bands out there which are absolute, elementary, childish, horrid, boring and redundant pieces of shit. Thats what Steven was reffering to, the majority...not the staples and exceptions, which any genre of music would have.

I bet any genre of music, including prog/psychadelic, is full of throwaway bands, with a minority rising to the top to stand out above the rest. Or am I wrong?

IAmEternal said:
I bet any genre of music, including prog/psychadelic, is full of throwaway bands, with a minority rising to the top to stand out above the rest. Or am I wrong?

Prog/psychadelias would be Spock's Beard...... I hate them everso much....

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
You hate generalizations, yet your argument here is that because some metal bands might be more sophisticated than PT, that PT is not more sophisticated than the majority of metal...which it is.

You guys are often arguing the forerunners of metal in this discussion...but theres thousands of metal bands out there which are absolute, elementary, childish, horrid, boring and redundant pieces of shit. Thats what Steven was reffering to, the majority...not the staples and exceptions, which any genre of music would have.

What i was trying to say is simply that you cannot judge music by genre. There are good ("sophisticated" ffs) and horribly bad bands in nearly every genre. Labelling a whole genre as "unsophisticated" is thus very ignorant, imo. Maybe Wilson doesnt listen to the right Metal bands ?

I get your point, though, and the fact that he wears a Dillinger Shirt might lead to the conclusion that he meant only "the majority". :)