Steven Slate 2.5

we've messed with the downloading thing every now and then. Especially now with the additional samples and new cymbal pack, the collection is just too large for easy downloading. It takes hours even on a cable connection.. and if it times out or stops suddenly, you have to start over and its quite frustrating.

As for Dream Theater... I love the natural punchy drum sound of Systematic Chaos. Awake, on the other hand, has one of the cheesiest drum sounds every mixed, imo. The reverb is very digital, its VERY VERY sampled sounding, and the kick sounds little and tiny (sounds like my Metallica Black kick awith a 150Hz hi pass on it). 6:00 is a good example. Just my opinion, and this is just the drums I'm talking about, NOT the music or playing etc.

When 2.5 comes out we'll have a lot of metal demos to post. Between the samples I listed above, all your metal needs will be met. And check out some new stuff by Andy, Colin Richardson, Zeus, and Jay Baumgardner... all amazing metal mixers who are using the stuff now..

do you make personal samples for producers, for the right price? i heard thats what you started out doing.... and i am interested.

do you make personal samples for producers, for the right price? i heard thats what you started out doing.... and i am interested.

ooooh nice question.

about DT yeah i know what you mean by cheesy. still love the drum sounds though. the reverb on 6:00 is the cheesiest thing in the history of earth. talk about reverb. however i dunno i am just not crazy about the SC drum sound. not the samples, which faithfully reproduce the drum sounds, but the album itself, production included. but whatever it's a separate conversation. just threw in my 2 cents.

Hey guys. I have Slate samples and I'm really pleased with 'em. But I have a question for Steven (or anyone else, who could know this): How do I blend two different snares or kicks? Guide me, please. Thanx in advance.

Cheers, Sam.

The thing is that if I order it, I have to pay another 25% in taxes and another 20% in customs, so the whole thing just kinda crashes into the mountain. Sweden rules, but shit like this really suck.

The thing is that if I order it, I have to pay another 25% in taxes and another 20% in customs, so the whole thing just kinda crashes into the mountain. Sweden rules, but shit like this really suck.

I've been to Sweden and from what I've seen it's totally worth it \m/

these samples are really the best around. sometimes it sounds a bit suspicious solo'ed, but what i've heard always seems to work perfectly in the final mix.

will surely have the cash to splurge on 2.5 when it drops. keep it up slate

For someone like me that has been programming drums via DFHS and want to get into Slate samples, how does it work? I find that DFHS samples need to be EQed to hell just to get it to sound good. Slate samples sound really polished and I'm just thinking all I need to do is play with the faders in the DAW.

I'm assuming that the slate samples will be loaded into Drummergog and my midi file will trigger the hits? Is it as simple as that?

For someone like me that has been programming drums via DFHS and want to get into Slate samples, how does it work? I find that DFHS samples need to be EQed to hell just to get it to sound good. Slate samples sound really polished and I'm just thinking all I need to do is play with the faders in the DAW.

I'm assuming that the slate samples will be loaded into Drummergog and my midi file will trigger the hits? Is it as simple as that?

DKFH is pure dry drum sound and needs treated like a real kit...

Slate is tailored more for "Good sounding right off the bat".

aramism, someone posted a very nice sounding tune over on the Slate forums incorporating the Dream Kit, don't write it off before giving it a chance. It sounds great!

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=364

Sounds more to me like the "Angry hard rock kit" from the main page, than the "Dream Theater Kit" though?

To these ears, the dream kit sounds too raw and too "contemporary" for my tastes. I'd much prefer the "Angry hard rock kit" :)

guys, to answer a few questions:

I did start out doing custom samples for a lot of mixers.. and I still do this. I'd highly recommend trying to find what you're looking for within the 38 drumkits of the upcoming 2.5 (don't forget hybrids create WHOLE NEW) sounds... reason is custom stuff is obviously a lot more $$$.

speaking of hybrids it is possible with 2.5 and its really fun to mix and match stuff, works quite well.

I can't wait for you guys to hear the new official demos from the newest batch of stuff we got going on.

As for Dream Theater, I rather liked the more powerful, kinda natural sound off Systematic Chaos. The sound is even improved with the NRG samples since the room sound on that album wasn't all that big and mighty..

Superior guys be happy that all your superior grooves will work in 2.5 since we have the same GM EXTENDED mapping... same with EZ drummer..

any questions let me know.

Here are some questions that no ones bothered to ask:

1. I understand that 2.5 includes standalone software. Does it still include GOG files, or does the application include a drum replacer?

2. Projected price?

3. Sneap forum discount? :kickass::loco:

Hi Steven! Is there any chance the Dream Kit to be updated? Especially the snare. In the original it has some kind of ring in the timbre and on some hits when the song starts you can hear some nice decay. Your snare is close but sounds like the decay is shorten ....
here are two samples of the original drums and SD2.0
http://www.nalbantov.com/HonorThyFather.mp3
http://www.nalbantov.com/HonorThyFatherMidi.mp3

reposted from my forum:

"HONOR THY FATHER" is from Dream Theater's "Train of Thought" album. The Dreamkit on Steven Slate Drums is modeled after the album "SYSTEMATIC CHAOS" which has a lower, more midrangely snare with very little ringiness. The much more high tuned snare from "Train of Thought" can be acheived with the updated Snare19 mixed with updated Snare 15.