That "Doomsday Machine" sound....

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
OK, as in a previous thread "That "Clayman" sound...." discussed the guitar sound of that album...I'd like to discuss the Drum sound on here from Arch Enemy's, Doomsday Machine...Please share your opinions..

After having this album now over 6 months, I'm still blown away everytime I put on the album by the drum sound...
Anybody got any ideas on how the snare was done?
What I do know:
Overheads: rolled up at 500hz
Bass drums: Sample taken from Andy's own DW24" kick.
Toms: All natural, I think he used either Pearl MMX or MRX with Pinstripes..
I'm not sure tho, toward what direction everything is EQ'ed..or any "special effects"..

I know on the Snare & Toms was DVerb standard protools Reverb used.

studio2005-017.jpg

studio2005-016.jpg

studio2005-013.jpg

studio2005-013.jpg

attachment-3.jpg

attachment-5.jpg

attachment-4.jpg

I thought like the Clayman sound thread, this drumsound should also deserve it's own thread :)...

P.S. I'm curious what everybody uses on the MD421mics, what setting for the bass trap...I have it far of to I think the right, where it cuts low ends..what do you use?

My eyes might deceive me, but I think I see the reflection of a 421 on the head, which would indicate that it is obscured from view by the ride cymbal.

Well, triggers to audio track and triggers to sound module just for monitors. Makes sense.

I guess the clicky sound helps the playing. For the snare, it's probably better to stick with the acoustic sound for a better control.
Then again I'm not Andy so...

Two triggers on each kick insures that they trigger properly.Sometimes youll get faulse triggering.

FASTFISTS said:
Two triggers on each kick insures that they trigger properly.Sometimes youll get faulse triggering.

Same thing I thought...I just use 1 :)..don't have that much of a budget :p..
I'll redo the part if it's needed hehe

~BURNY~ said:
Just noticed:
extreme.jpg

How do these work? My beyerdynamic sucks, the sound is horrible on it, and the isolation..well don't get me started on that...

I haven't managed yet to get anything near that good of a tom sound yet, with a Pinstripe on my 12" & 14"....also on a Pearl MMX...(I guess it was a MMX since you can see the enforcement rings on top en bottom inside the shell)...

finished kick on the album was my dw24 triggered with drumagog, about 3 to 4 good samples . The two drum triggers per kick were so daniel could monitor with the brain whilst playing and recording the trigger also.