That "Doomsday Machine" sound....

Genius Gone Insane said:
Those look dope...anyone use them?

Love 'em. They work great for any kind of tracking where loud instruments are involved. They're also good for vocalists that like to have their monitor mix cranked, since they minimize bleed that might be picked up by the vocal mic.

Also... If you're some schmoe like me that doesn't have the luxury of a control room, they're great for ballparking mic placement. They're not terribly hi-fi, but still a great tool.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread slightly, but it's to do with doomsday machine, does anyone know what amps chris was using on the live tracks on the dvd, doesn't look like a 5150 cos you can see the tubes through the grill, and also the cabs have the grey grill on them. Just curious, if anyone knows......

Genius Gone Insane said:
Perhaps one placement works better with the DM5 and the other works better with the sound replacer.
it's actually the ddrum 4 module, not the alesis DM5. the ddrum 4 is a much pricier unit with some pretty cool sounds.

Fredrik-Ablaze said:
Chris have played ENGL Blackmore amps, so it could be ENGL?

Yeah i guess so, definetly could be ENGL cab's, also his sound seems to be a lot thicker than mike's on dead eyes see no future on the dvd.

James Murphy said:
it's actually the ddrum 4 module, not the alesis DM5. the ddrum 4 is a much pricier unit with some pretty cool sounds.

I've been able to borrow a ddrum4 twice from a friend, 1 for live and 1 for testing purposes....that thing ruled! kicked some major ass...

Well I guess I gotta stick with my D4 for awhile :)...

I'm using Emperors now, allthough trying Emperor Smooth a couple of weeks back and trying Pinstripes yesterday (on tom 12 & 14) I stay with my clear Emperors for now...
Pearl & Sabian..way to go :)

kit1.jpg

cobhc said:
Yeah i guess so, definetly could be ENGL cab's, also his sound seems to be a lot thicker than mike's on dead eyes see no future on the dvd.

Dead eyes see no future DVD, was there a DVD of that EP, or you mean the live songs on it?
Doomsday had a DVD with it...killer :)...

Andy Sneap said:
emperor comment was an in joke, nothing to do with doomsday machine.
Chris was using the JSX peavey with the same cabs, not Engl.

Well, I took the joke serious :saint: ...
So I went out bought some pinstripes to try, but for me I feel that it actually kills to much of the beauty the MMX shell has in it..but that's after a rough try...
When I get some time this weekend, I gonna try some recordings between the Clear Emps, Smooth Emps & Pinstripes..

This forum kicks ass!! :kickass:

Andy Sneap said:
emperor comment was an in joke, nothing to do with doomsday machine.
Chris was using the JSX peavey with the same cabs, not Engl.

I thought it was a JSX!! but i wasn't sure, lol and i've never really seen a JSX hehe

After hours allready spent on experimenting....
I think the most important rule is one of the first things you learn when you start having drum lessons...
HIT HARD, but subtile! Or else there's no way to get anywhere near this sound :)..

:kickass:

Just thought I'd scream it out to all the Meg White fans out there.