That "Doomsday Machine" sound....

Hi all,

Its been a long time since ive visited here but I am getting back into music production so i thought I'd start visiting again and found this thread really informative. Some great stuff.

I have a few questions relating to the drum reverbs on "my apocalypse" during the "breakdown" bridge section.

1) what reverb is being used for the toms and snare?

2) Is it only one reverb being used for the drums?

3) Is the tom send level to the reverb turned up during the bridge/guitar lead section or is it kept at a constant level throughout the entire song?

if anyone has some info or advice on this stuff would be great,

thanks guys,

He said d-verb is all he used for reverb, the reverb level on drums is higher in the lead parts than the other sections.

great, thanks for the reply.

Im also wondering what type of reverb (plate, large hall, etc) he likes for drums, during that section it sounds like its a large hall type but then when the song kicks in again it sounds as though smaller reverb types are doing most of the work. Interesting. Thanks again.

That's correct the amount of reverb is controlled depending on the sections. You put a really big verby snare on a fast paced section and all the reverbation will slap you in the face resulting in a muddy ass mix. I remember him mentioning using a medium hall reverb for the very first snare hit on "Born" from Nevermore but obviously that hit is supposed to sound verby and big because it's the only instrument before all the other instruments kick in so it sounds bigger. Then you hear how the snare has a little less reverb just right after the first hit because the next part is really fast paced.