THE band recommendations thread. THE.

Nov 23, 2002
Hell, I want to find some good new music. We ALL want to, do we not?! So, share your musical knowledge. Tell me some bands. Preferably, give me a loose description of their music, and perhaps a song you'd recommend for me to download.

Danke schon. :hotjump:

I already know Omnium Gatherum. Not bad at all. :)

Please don't start a Metallica discussion in here. OH GOD, PLEASE...:cry:

More more more more more more, please. :cool:

Harakiri - indie death from indianapolis

www.harakiri666.com

You too can have your own crank lab
Blest be the retard

Vile - professional grinding death metal

www.vilestench.com
Depopulate
Terminal Existence
Interrogation Rites
Persecution
Abort the Fetus

The Jesus Lizard - old school (90's) twisted alternative-ish rock

do a search on google for a website

Killer McHann
Fly on the Wall
Lady Shoes
Then Comes Dudley
Too Bad about the Fire
(there are so many great Jesus lizard songs....)

Shadows Fall - Thrash/Death with a liiittle hardcore. Guitarist is amazing.

Reccoment: Thoughts Without Words, Serenity, To Ashes, Stepping Outside the Circle

Darkane - I think this guy said it better than I could

'Darkane's third album boasts a potent balance of brutality, musicality, and style. Somehow, this band manages to use melody without sacrificing intensity and to exploit all the extreme elements of death metal and grindcore without eschewing songs. Furthermore, Darkane's progressive chops never sink the music into schmaltzy neo-classical melodrama like so many of the band's Scandinavian peers. A stunning synthesis of metal styles.' Beleive him, its true, \m/ \m/

Reccomend: Fatal Impact, Innocence Gone

Blinded by Faith
Melodic Death Metal from Quebec
www.blindedbyfaith.com
Samples: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/181/blinded_by_faith_metal.html

Serberus
Samples: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/87/serberus.html

Quo vadis
Great Metal band from Quebec :)
www.quovadis.qc.ca
Samples: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/121/quo_vadis.html

Dragonlord
Can't label this one.. sounds like black metal mixed with COB. They have their forum on UM so check that out.

Novembre
I guess most of you already know this one, but if you don't, listen to them right now! they rule!
www.novembre.nu
Samples: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/314/novembre.html

Arcturus!!
Their latest release, 'The Sham Mirrors' is incredible. I think the correct genre is called Avantgarde or something, but it doesn't matter, it's fucking great.
I think their earlier albums are black metal, but I'm not sure.

Necrophagist-Onset of Putrefaction-Technical death grind from Germany..The first Cd has a drum machine as a drummer but now Necrophagist have a live band..
Great technical metal, great solos....Melodic is a way too..
SONGS: advanced corpse tumor, extreme unction, culinary hyperversity, fermented offal discharge ect..
Check it out..-l-

Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming. :Spin:

Harakiri, Vile, The Jesus Lizard, Recomment, Blinded by Faith - are all ones I've never heard of.

And many of the others I know of, but I haven't heard yet. I'll be downloading them now. :hotjump:

DoReMi said:
Omnium Gatherum- Early Soilwork meets Children of Bodom. www.omniumgatherum.cjb.net

That's about the only possible "unkown" band I am aware of... oh, and Metallica. Get their latest album. It rocks anything out there.

Omnium Gatherum are a good band, but too bad their vocalist absolutely blows. Not only can the guy not sing, but he can't even handle the harsh vocals well. Everything sounds short-of-breath and amateurish. If they got rid of him and found someone who can actually perform well, they'd be a decent band. It's the same case with that band Divine Souls. They're a terrific In Flames rip-off band, but their vocalist is awful.

The new Metallica album "rocks"?? Hahaha! Are you kidding? You'd have to be kidding to say something so retarded.

hej said:
Arcturus!!
Their latest release, 'The Sham Mirrors' is incredible. I think the correct genre is called Avantgarde or something, but it doesn't matter, it's fucking great.
I think their earlier albums are black metal, but I'm not sure.

We all know :hotjump:

Aghora

Aghora have their own subgenre. It's a fusion of their unique metal style, jazz, and indian music. It is very beautiful, melodic, and technical (but not in your face like some technical bands). Their album has a "jamming" feel, even though the songs are tight.

Aghora consists of:
Santiago Dobles (lead guitar) - studied jazz fusion guitar in Berklee, in Boston. He also studies metal guitar under Paul Masvidal (of Cynic, who influenced him).
Danishta Rivero (vocals) - his sister who has studied classical and jazz vocals, and is very talented. She possesses a beautiful voice.
Charlie Endekhal (rhythm guitar) - studied classical guitar in Spain
Sean Malone (bass) - Played in Cynic and Gordian Knot. Excellent melodic and technical player. Heavily influenced by Jaco Pastorius
Sean Reinheart (drums) - played in Cynic with Sean M. Very original and tasteful drummer.

Now for a song. I recommend "Frames".
Another great song from Aghora's mind-blowing self-titled album. The guitar solo is beautiful and the vocals are highly emotional. For those who have never heard of this band they're an American 5-piece that play a very creative, yet also emotional fusion of jazz, metal and Indian music.

I aso recommend "Immortal Bliss", "Kali Yuga", and "Anugraha".

Lykathea Aflame.. I would call them "melodic grind" some epic stuff on "Elvenefris" by all means get songs off that album... excellent drumming!!!

Guardian of Darkness said:
Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming. :Spin:

Harakiri, Vile, The Jesus Lizard, Recomment, Blinded by Faith - are all ones I've never heard of.

And many of the others I know of, but I haven't heard yet. I'll be downloading them now. :hotjump:

I don't think "Recomment" is a band. What he meant was "Recommend", refering to songs from Shadows Fall.
:D

I agree with supermoi

Quo Vadis!!!! awesome band
of them get
Mute requiem: point of no return

an awesome Aussie band is Devolved

www.devolved.net
awesome band hrrm.. they are death metal but wierd time changes and a fucking awesome drummer
as does quo vadis!!

@supermoi: what have you heard of the new member of the quo vadis???
u seen em live with him yet? and when is a new album comin out?

Everyone seems to be posting about extreme bands...they're quite 'big' here in England, but I'm a big fan of Portishead (try Wandering Star, Roads, Glory Box)...they're kind of like Massive Attack but not...if that makes any sense...:erk:...so yeah, trip-hoppy...

Good English band - Eden Maine - try Ephemera or Cold Light...people call them progcore...heavily influenced by Converge...
www.edenmaine.com

Godspeed You Black Emperor! are brilliant, I think people in here've probably heard of them, it's better to buy an album rather than listening to individual tracks anyway...it's kind of 'space rock'...ignore my labels, just check out the bands...

Aereogramme are a very cool Scottish band, try Post Tour, Pre Judgement or Zionist Timing...it's like indie with screamy parts...very pretty...

Mahumodo are unbelievable - try California or anything else you can get off their site...you will fall in love...
www.mahumodo.com

I also suggest Isis and Old Man Gloom, but I suspect a lot of you already know and love them...if not get The Other, Celestial (The Tower), The Beginning And The End, Deconstructing Towers, or Carry by Isis...or Hot Salvation by OMG

Anyway, I'll think up more soon...hope there's something new there for you to digest...