The Beliefs Of Amon Amarth

I'd just like to add that yes, it's no surprise the texts are a bit skewed, one of the reasons being that Snorra-Edda is written about 200-300 years after Ásatrú had been replaced by Christianity as the main religion. This of course forced Snorri to fill in gaps and the like, because the stories weren't properly documented, that's exactly what he was trying to change.

Tyra said:
... That's why I am of the opinion that they are all somewhat (or very) skewed in a Christian fashion (not necessarily on purpose, though, sometimes because so many years had passed between the old religion and the new that the author didn't know how to interpret events in an Old Norse way - one did research differently in the time of Snorri. This is in no way criticism against Snorri...

If these are the only text, how can the faith be accuratly revived considering it has been deformed by christianity? I went on Alftaeith website(Is that how you spell it?) and in one part of the forum they talked about the Blot. All had different opinions and ways of performing it. So has a "newb" what am I suppose to do? Invent my own base on some vague guidelines? I have to assume that if 10 people are doing it 10 differents then some must be a little out of context compare to the old ways?

Sorry I may be a little out of context here with the blot but I was just wondering.

Wish it wasn't, I'm named after Freyr. It would be nice to know how to worship him if I were into that sort of thing. Which I'm not, I just find this interesting.

Yeah, that thing about the blót is difficult to explain once one leaves the "old homelands". First of all, just because a new religion comes along, it does not mean that the other one disappears. Sometimes, it does, sometimes the both exist alongside eachother, and sometimes the two mingle. In this case, people have bloted well into recent history in the way it was done in the past, and those blots are documented in writing by contemporaries. You would not realize how many of the "old ways" never stopped unless you actually lived in a Nordic country for some time (and even then, sometimes not!).
Second, Snorri and a few other autors do give good written evidence of how this was done, and there is not a great disparity between how, say, Tacitus (don't quote me on that, cuz I can't find the passage right now) and Snorri, even though they are hundreds of years apart. That's a good indication of the written documents actually being reasonably accurate, and then one has to use ones sense of logic in removing the things that are obviously scewed to make "them barbarians" godless and un-christian.
Third, there is no dogma in Asatrù. It's about your relationship with whatever god you choose to speak to on that day, and what you wish to speak about. I.e., is your way of speaking to your mother or your teacher or boss the same as your friends way of speaking to his? Do you tell someone to fuck off in the same fashion you ask them for a cookie? What I am trying to say is, that there isn't a "right" way to do these things. What is right is what feels right for you. Historical precedence, yes, but not a correct way, so don't ever let anyone tell you that. The group with which you worship, if you even choose to worship with one, should feel like a comfortable fit for you. Asatrù worship in the old days was done at home, except for big blots like the one in Uppsala, which was a rarity, and it was held as part of an Althing. It's a lifestyle. Make sense?

I totally agree with the last post you wrote, Nodferatu. No argument from me there - that's exactly what I meant when I said that Snorri didn't necessarily skew the texts on purpose. Master Adam, on the other hand, is a whole another story...His aim in some parts was to make the Norse heathens look bad and stupid.

What makes me wonder about new worshippers of the Norse gods is that many appear to be into this just because it's an 'in' thing to do. I see many people (on Myspace especially) who "praise Odin" this, or Valhalla that, but still only call it Thor's hammer as opposed to the proper Mjöllnir. I know that Odin is supposed to be approached with as much fear as reverence if addressing him, and I think a lot of newbs aren't catching on to that either.

With the sacrificing of humans, I'm aware that many human sacrifices were prisoners of war, and as it would apply to today's world, not too many families keep their own prisoners of war so that would complicate things to say the least. :lol:

Yeah, we don't have too many slaves to string up in trees in my family... Animal sacrifices still happen. Do NOT take that out of context, because even back in the day, when animals were sacrificed, none of it was wasted. You still eat the flesh and use the pelt etc (unless they were human - for that you have to go even farther back in Scandinavian history). That's why food-offerings are done today. It's not legal in most places to do an animal sacrifice, and even when it is, a lot of people object on humanitarian grounds. If you think of the animals being sacrificed as food, though, one food is just as good as any other. That's why instead of sheep etc, we generally offer up the best alcohol we can muster today. For myself, that's generally homebrewed mead.

I totally hear you about Asatro being the in thing. The people who do that, generally fall away after a while, though, as they never shut up for long enough to hear the voices of the gods and the goddesses. Really, 99% of the people I know who are true believers, were called by the gods, as a difference to the individual calling the gods to them. I don't worry too much about those people who come for the fashion myself, as I know they generally either don't come to blot, or they come once and never again. It does bother me if they give my faith a bad name or do stupid things in the name of my religion, as that in itself flies in the face of the faith.
The ON used to have a system for selecting Gothar, that I think can apply to asatruar in general, too. If you wanted to be a gothi, you should stand up in a crowd of peers and proclaim "I am a Gothi". If no-one laughed, you could call yourself a Gothi. I think that those who claim to be asatru should do the same thing. Stand up in a group of peers and say "I am asatru". If no-one laughs, you know you are truly asatru./T.

Ehh, kind of hard if your friends are not all asatruar, as with a normal crowd people would most certainly laugh. But who are they to judge.
Anyway I wasn't to serious with my post there, but am I getting this right? If you sacrifice in the modern day you would for example bring some Biff Tartar and a nice Bordeaux - what exactly do you do with it then?

The only people I could proclaim that in front of, that would know what I was talking about, are my seeress friend, her husband, and their friends. I'm pretty sure their response would be "fucking duh" as they've seen me in past lives as a Viking leader. I was first called by the Gods in this lifetime, to the best I can tell, by receiving an old, rusted Viking sword by my spritual advisor.

HEHE,
Sleipner or whatever your name is, dont u thnk u souond a little silly? Calling yourself a heathen? Of course amons music is great but come on... Your from New Jersey, have u ever been to sweden, denmark or Norway, i mean on what grouonds are you a heathen.

Hallå finns några skandinaver där ute eller? e d bara massa jänkare och sånt?

That goes for Tyra too?, The viking religion didnt last for long, i mean here in Sweden today and all the other scandinavian countries there are churches everywhere, i f people could here the voices of gods, do u really think they would change religion. It aint like the christian forced the north to believe in christianity, instead people just changed because it was sort of a fashion.

There were many things that were possibly forgotten over time after the Christian conversion, maybe even minor dieties. The sagas were written by Christians, yes but keep in mind that Christianity was in its infant stages in Scandinavian lands and many people still believed in the old beliefs albeit usually in private. Snorri was very possibly one of these people and came into some conflict with many people for writing down the sagas. This is probably one of the reasons why he made so many enemies within his lifetime and eventually was killed by them. Also keep in mind that oral relation of these stories rather than documentation was being used before they were written and passed on from generation to generation by word of mouth. This goes also for the Edda, Havamal, Voluspa etc. Our (Asatruar, Vanatruar, Odinists etc.) beliefs aren't perfectly consistent with our pre-Christian forefathers but I believe they are much more substantial then most would think. Also consider that Pagans have always existed within every single century and they have never say "died out". - Just my two cents for what it's worth. :)

Olof87 said:
That goes for Tyra too?, The viking religion didnt last for long, i mean here in Sweden today and all the other scandinavian countries there are churches everywhere, i f people could here the voices of gods, do u really think they would change religion. It aint like the christian forced the north to believe in christianity, instead people just changed because it was sort of a fashion.

On the contrary, people like King Olaf did force many people to convert to Christianity, and he was quite ruthless in doing so. Many people converted out of fear of punishment by death alone.

Olof87 said:
HEHE,
Sleipner or whatever your name is, dont u thnk u souond a little silly? Calling yourself a heathen? Of course amons music is great but come on... Your from New Jersey, have u ever been to sweden, denmark or Norway, i mean on what grouonds are you a heathen.

Hallå finns några skandinaver där ute eller? e d bara massa jänkare och sånt?

Since when does where you live decide your religion? Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just saying. I live in Hawaii, and I'm a heathen, and I don't feel silly at all when I call myself one.

burton said:
Since when does where you live decide your religion? Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just saying. I live in Hawaii, and I'm a heathen, and I don't feel silly at all when I call myself one.
It doesn't, that's bullshit. That's like saying you can't be a Christian because you didn't come from the middle east. Asatru itself is a worldwide belief system and doesn't discriminate against what country a person was born in. We have kindreds all over the states as well as in Canada, Australia, England and the list goes on and on.