The Best Progressive Metal Bands

Tomera... Probably any finn would giggle at that name. It's like a funny word for "energetic" in finnish. I don't like the vocalist, she's not "tomera" at all, very thin voice. Plus the music bounces all over and I'd call it artificial prog in that sense.

Tomera... Probably any finn would giggle at that name. It's like a funny word for "energetic" in finnish. I don't like the vocalist, she's not "tomera" at all, very thin voice. Plus the music bounces all over and I'd call it artificial prog in that sense.

I thought this about her voice at first as well, but my view started to change.
The last track on the album starts with piano and vocals, and her voice is just beautiful.
After a few more listens, I started liking her voice on the entire album.

Hey guys you should check out this band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNoQh2kMOo

They're from Tucumán, Argentina.
If you liked this song they have an EP for free download right here: http://www.jamendo.com/es/download/album/59346 click on "Descargar".

WHAT THE FUU....:puke::guh::err::eek::puke::erk::cry::(:mad::cry:

I'll never sleep again!

Anyway, I don't care much for prog metal. SX are really the only prog metal band I really like. Opeth are good but they are considered "progressive death metal". Ayreon is so many genres, I'd hate to just call it prog metal. When I think of prog metal, I think of this:

intro: choir going ahhhhh with orchestra going duh duh all dramatic, singer screams in falsetto, bombastic riff with choir and all
verse: a little more quiet
bridge:
chorus: repeats like hell
verse 2
bridge
chorus
solos
chorus
end

rinse and repeat for a 50 minute album though maybe top it off with a "crushing" 20 minute epic, compact with even more solos and wanking.

Prog rock is really where it's at. Although, some bands are really just knock offs of ELP. No genre is perfect! There's always like 3 great bands and the rest sound the same.

It can go anywhere.
See: Opeth - Still Life.
Song structures can be whatever the writer wants them to be. It seems that most bands consider these preset song structures the only way to write music properly.

I feel that prog metal shouldn't really be in a box. Isn't the whole reason behind it to leave space for musical experimentation? Very few get it right. I think symphony x might be one of the best at putting metal and progressive together. In such a non strained way. Some bands try way to hard, the tension and stress they went through to make it sound complex makes elastic bands everywhere snap under the pressure of listening to said albums!

EDIT: I don't really categorize prog music anymore. I just refer to it as all Prog Music. Prog rock, prog metal, its really all the same thing. Saying you are prog rock, or prog metal is really just going against everything prog is supposed to be!

Opeth for example is as much prog death, as they are prog soft rock depending on the album you listen to. Just saying! See Opeth-Damnation for reference!

Even symphony x for example, you can't put Walls of Babylon into the same category as Candlelight Fantasia. I mean what makes metal anyway? distorted guitars? I think not!

Mr. Metaphor King lol

I agree. very, very few bands get it right. Most sound like they are trying way too hard... and they end up failing because of how obvious it is.
Quite often, a band takes a very basic song, and tries to "prog" it up. This technique is terrible, and can always be heard negatively in the music.

HAKEN's album AQUARIUS [Sensory Records] is well worth a listen. Catch them live with Dream Theater, IQ and Anathema at Night Of The Prog VI in Germany this July and on their US debut at Progpower USA XII in Atlanta this September.

"Haken" only reminds me of Jordan Rudess wanking that weird orange instrument with a big smile on his face. I don't really know what to say about the band if that's everything that comes to my mind.

*Listens to Devin Townsend - Earth Day*

All better now. Eat your beets and recycle, folks!

Where else can prog metal really go though?

If you follow Fates Warning's career you can get a pretty good idea of how a metal band can be prog in both senses - fitting in the genre and having a general drive toward innovation. They're kind of like King Crimson in that sense - always at the heart of wherever the genre is going, for better or worse. The only difference is, none of the other bands pay any attention to them.

"Haken" only reminds me of Jordan Rudess wanking that weird orange instrument with a big smile on his face. I don't really know what to say about the band if that's everything that comes to my mind.

*Listens to Devin Townsend - Earth Day*

All better now. Eat your beets and recycle, folks!

Glad that someone else agrees with me on Haken. I was on this forum where that album got A HUGE amount of praise and I checked it out and it was just rehashed Dream Theater wankery annoying synth sounds sterile all over the place shit... Ok so, I decided to freshen my memory of the music by listening to the opening song and while there are good moments, others just make me face-palm.

I woulnd't say it's bad, but it was very meh. And that album cover! Awful!

Devin Townsend on the other hand, kicks ass and is one of the best progressive artists ever in my book. Earth Day = Brilliant song and Terria has a brilliant album cover as well..

Glad that someone else agrees with me on Haken. I was on this forum where that album got A HUGE amount of praise and I checked it out and it was just rehashed Dream Theater wankery annoying synth sounds sterile all over the place shit...

"We don't make mistakes in music or life."

(non-finns don't bother watching this as it's in finnish, some pretty extreme comedy about jazz fusion/prog)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you follow Fates Warning's career you can get a pretty good idea of how a metal band can be prog in both senses - fitting in the genre and having a general drive toward innovation. They're kind of like King Crimson in that sense - always at the heart of wherever the genre is going, for better or worse. The only difference is, none of the other bands pay any attention to them.
Yeah, hardly any modern Prog band considers itself influenced by Fates Warning - which kinda makes the original all the more unique and indispensable. Sieges Even is the only band that comes to my mind, they've sometimes sounded HUGELY FW-ish in the guitar department.