The best thing in metal right now....

Gamma Ray & Grave Digger from the '80s German Speed Metal era have been very consistent. Possibly the ideal 'role models' for any future Power Metal band.

Angra is the future of Progressive Metal. Symphony X consitute the present.

Persuader will take the crown from Blind Guardian.

I actually just bought In Sorte Diaboli today. Of course though, I've had it downloaded since it was first leaked. And although its grown on me a bit, its still my second least favourite Dimmu album.

In regards to the band, I am glad they have chosen their own direction and remain true to themselves because that speaks volumes over any band who is just a copy. I'd rather listen to a band that does their own thing, than a band that tries to 'recreate' or define something that has already been defined countless times over - although I admit, I am an avid black metal fan. To criticize a band for what genre they do not actively follow is just ridiculous.

Couldn't say it better myself. I can't stand when people hate on a band for not following certain "rules" of a specific genre. If you don't like a band because of the songs thats fine but don't hate on them just cause they are not traditional to a certain genre.

neurosis better than suffocation and immolation? :erk:

Neurosis are fucking ALOT better than both of those bands, and I like them too.

Neurosis is fucking amazing. Pioneers of the post-rock/sludge style, never the same on each album, never a bad album, just completely amazing.

I'll agree with Agalloch though.

neurosis better than suffocation and immolation? :erk:

Far, far better.

So them + Mastodon, Primordial and Agalloch. Converge and Boris too if they count. I've not been listening to much metal recently but Taint and Capricorns released killer albums in 05 so I'm waiting to see if they can keep up the awesome on whatever they do next. I should probably check out Pagan Altar as well.

Boris obviously counts and I don't know that Converge really would, I mean they're absolutely fucking great - but their more hardcore than anything.

Far, far better.

So them + Mastodon, Primordial and Agalloch. Converge and Boris too if they count. I've not been listening to much metal recently but Taint and Capricorns released killer albums in 05 so I'm waiting to see if they can keep up the awesome on whatever they do next. I should probably check out Pagan Altar as well.

1st mention of mastodon on here in a while. Those guys are great.

Neurosis is ten times better than suffocation. Suffocation has not really been more than average since pierced from within honestly. I'm not really sure if the band being so average and redundant has anything to do with them not having one of their old guitarists. I remember how a lot people wanted Suffocation to reform thinking they would do something great. I thought they would.

best current death metal band: Arghoslent/The Chasm
best current black metal band: Deathspell Omega/Hegemon
best current doom band: Mourning Beloveth
best current overall: Primordial
best current thrash: Alastor/Desaster
best current power metal: I dunno, I don't like it that much
best current gothic metal: Diabolique/Moonspell (they are the only gothic metal bands I can stomach)
best current sludge: sludge sucks, I don't care

all this is IMO, of course

best current death metal band: Stargazer
best current black metal band: Belenos/Primordial
best current doom band: Evoken/Witchcraft
best current overall: Agalloch/Pain of Salvation
best current thrash: N/A (Don't know enough modern thrash to comment)
best current power metal: Slough Feg
best current gothic metal: Penumbra
best current sludge: Rosetta

Sludge rules man, especially the post-rock/sludge fusion that is growing so swiftly nowadays.