The hockey thread

What do you think of our new arena name Cyanide?

nyarena_fj_llr_ven_1079959l.jpg

I meant the name of the arena Randy. But I'll explain; we changed our main sponsor, and thus the name of the arena, from a bank to a backpack and outdoor clothing company.
Wait, you thought Cyanide was the new arena name?

Cyandie is a chemical and a Metallica song.
The good is that when other teams come in they will get their ass kicked just like the chemical and make away teams lose.

This is truly the epitome of a Randy moment!

@Runk, I'll be honest, I think Fjällräven Center is a great name for an arena! I just read the Aftonbladet article and people are hating on it..but my first backpack ever was a Fjällräven! Only thing that sucks is that Americans will never be able to pronounce the name when they play visitor games!

Yeah, I was listening to the game on the radio and heard about Clarkson now. What the fuck is going on? It's like Parise and Brodeur are practically the only Devils who haven't been injured this year.

Yeah, I was listening to the game on the radio and heard about Clarkson now. What the fuck is going on? It's like Parise and Brodeur are practically the only Devils who haven't been injured this year.

Actually it's been awful for all teams (pretty much) this year. The amount of injuries is just crazy this year. Recently Montreal had something like 30 millions $ of guys sitting because of injuries (pretty bad when the cap is something like 56 millions $). I watched one of their game the other day and it looked more like a AHL team than a NHL one.

I also make a small hockey pool with about 10 of my friends and at some point I calculated and we had 23% of the total players injured. Just an insane year.

Recently Montreal had something like 30 millions $ of guys sitting because of injuries (pretty bad when the cap is something like 56 millions $). I watched one of their game the other day and it looked more like a AHL team than a NHL one.

It's still like that...Thank god for Price and Cammalleri though, those 2 guys are really stepping up there game, in everyone's absence. I mean for what we have we aren't doing to bad.

Actually it's been awful for all teams (pretty much) this year. The amount of injuries is just crazy this year. Recently Montreal had something like 30 millions $ of guys sitting because of injuries (pretty bad when the cap is something like 56 millions $). I watched one of their game the other day and it looked more like a AHL team than a NHL one.

Interesting. I don't follow hockey much other than watch the Devils occasionally, so I wasn't aware of how extensive injuries are this year. Do you think there's anything contributing to the rise in injuries, like rule changes or something, or is it just a bizarre coincidence?

I'm really happy with the Hawks this year. They rolled over the Sharks this week, but may have phoned in today's game. Regardless, a 4-1-0 start to a road trip is nothing to cry about. Since Toews came back from his concussion the team is on a roll. The cap situation sucks, because half the teams don't/can't spend, and the Hawks can't sign all their home-grown players because they have three big money free agents (Huet, Campbell, Hossa). I wish the rules made it easier to retain home talent.

Hockey is a great sport, but it doesn't do the bad franchises too many favors, which really alienates fair-weather towns.

Interesting. I don't follow hockey much other than watch the Devils occasionally, so I wasn't aware of how extensive injuries are this year. Do you think there's anything contributing to the rise in injuries, like rule changes or something, or is it just a bizarre coincidence?

I think it's a combination of applying the rules more than before (before you could slow down guys with your stick without being call most of the times, now it's almost an automatic call), change in the rules (can't do a change anymore after an icing, which results sometimes in very tired players not being allowed to change which can increase the chance of injuries) and coincidence.

The game is now much faster than it was before as a result of the application of the rules more carefully which can result in more injuries as players are always going full speed, hitting at full speed...

Just talking about the players I have in my pool, on 11 players I have 3 injured...Andrei Markov got a tendon cut by the skate of his own goalie, Gionta has a broken foot and Ales Hemsky is now out for the rest of the season because of a shoulder injury after a hit.

I can't remember a season that bad as far as injuries around the league go. And I've been a huge hockey fan for around 25 years.