The 'I love ProTools' thread

If you have a track with a plugin that adds delay (for example 88 samples), when you play the song, you listen that track 88 samples after the others.
So, you select all the delayed track (but not the whole track, a little before the first hit of this track) and press alt+h. It opens a little windows where you can shift forward and backward your selection. You can shift by bars, by second or by samples. Insert 88 sample and shift back, ok and voila'....the track is shifted back 88 samples and now it's aligned

You'll need one of their interfaces that has an ADAT connection. Last I checked only the 003 has that. The Mbox 2 Pro only has a SPDIF digital interconnection. Unfortunately there is no cost effective way to use your own converters with LE, because you're stuck buying one of their useless interfaces first.

yeah, but how about using m-powered with an m-audio "dongle"?

but, basically you're saying that for going LE route (vs. m powered) i'd have to get a 002/003 (just like i was thinking :( ), and that would be pretty much a waste of money right?

If you have a track with a plugin that adds delay (for example 88 samples), when you play the song, you listen that track 88 samples after the others.
So, you select all the delayed track (but not the whole track, a little before the first hit of this track) and press alt+h. It opens a little windows where you can shift forward and backward your selection. You can shift by bars, by second or by samples. Insert 88 sample and shift back, ok and voila'....the track is shifted back 88 samples and now it's aligned

ah ok. But how do you know exactly how much delay a plugin is causing? sorry if these seem really retarded questions, but I have my methods on reaper for these things (when occasionally the ADC fails with a crappily coded plugin) but pro tools is a different matter entirely

yeah, but how about using m-powered with an m-audio "dongle"?

but, basically you're saying that for going LE route (vs. m powered) i'd have to get a 002/003 (just like i was thinking :( ), and that would be pretty much a waste of money right?

The Lightbridge and M-Powered will do you fine, as would a 2626 or really any M-Audio with an ADAT in.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see a way to use MIDI drum maps in PT8...
Yes, the MIDI has come a long way, but I still find it lacking compared to some of the competition!
Personally I found MIDI in PT7.4.x to be quite poor so I'm glad they worked on it for v8.
In saying all of this, there is simply no better DAW for editing audio. Even newer DAWs can't get this right and they all completely ignore the importance of Beat Detective. If I had the money, I'd go HD. I kinda wish that the C|24 was an interface too as it looks like an awesome controller (not too sure about the pres though!)

I kinda wish that the C|24 was an interface too as it looks like an awesome controller (not too sure about the pres though!)

The pres are ok, but not exactly anything to write home about. We did a test recently recording drums on the same mic setup through a TLA M4 desk, DigiPre and the C24's pres. And no pads on the preamps :zombie:

As a controller, though, I really like it. I don't care if it's just a ten grand mouse, as long as it works :)

Yeah they're more expensive.

D-Command has vegas mode though, obviously worth the 20k you'll pay for one :loco:

I thought the C24 just did the mexican wave fader thing?

Been that long since I toyed with one, I always revert to using the mouse anyway :p

there is no doubt about it.. hands down, Pro Tools IS the most intuitive, elegant, streamlined, and powerful DAW.... i've tried them all, sticking with some for a few years at a time. i started in the mid 90's with Opcode Studio Vision, with Digidesign's Sound Designer II as my 2-track editor. from there i got Pro Tools 5.x with the old AudioMedia III card, and switched to Peak 3 as my 2-track editor.... but during that time i would still fire up Studio Vision for MIDI... PT just wasn't there yet... and to be honest i didn't even bother learning it very well as i was still recording on ADATS at the time.

after my illness, surgery, and recovery i had nothing to my name... i had to live a while with my family and was stuck for a few years with their PC... and i went through several DAWs, incl. Cubase, Cubase SX, Nuendo, Cakewalk, and Magix Samplitude, learning each very well and using each extensively during this time.

finally earned enough money doing guest solos and the odd mastering job with that PC to start to get back on my feet and purchase a new Mac G4 and Logic... but after a year or so i wanted to kill myself with Logic so i switched to Digital Performer... used that for a few years until i finally built myself back up to the point of getting enough serious work to justify the move to Pro Tools HD3 Accel. I had worked with PTHD a few times during the preceding years... an album i mixed at Suecof's place right after he first got his HD rig, and working with Andy at his place on The Clan Destined and the "Holocaust of Thought" track on Nevermore's TGE which i actually tracked on Andy's old PT Mix TDM system in his B-Room... and despite having never really learned it very well in the past with the small 5.x/AM3 rig i had, it was like coming home. i am absolutely fluent with this system and it was the easiest to learn of every DAW i've ever used.

In the last couple years, starting especially with 7.4, Pro Tools has closed the MIDI gap and, in my estimation, has leaped ahead of the pack in that regard. It is a very common phenomenon that a person having learned one complex system in fine detail, will feel that system must be superior to all others, simply by virtue of the fact that they know so well it's ins and outs... and don't recognize it's shortcomings as such, because they view the work-arounds that must be implemented to circumvent them as "normal" work-flow, and they haven't really worked much outside of that comfort zone. But anyone who's learned many or most of the world's DAW platforms to a more than just cursory "fooling around with it" level of facility, cannot but come to the same conclusion that i have. Pro Tools has the edge for multi-track recording, editing, and... with HD... mixing as well. period. full stop. endorama.

so let's us PT users get this thread going in the spirit of Ermz's request... to discuss, among PT users, what we like... shortcuts, work-flows, features, etc....

let's NOT have this turn into a thread where Reaper and Cubendo, et al users come to complain about digidesign or to rant about how awesome the DAW they use is. Make your own threads for that, suckahs! ;)
hey we need to talk pt soon, just ordered my mac a few days ago

Öwen;8708802 said:
I thought the C24 just did the mexican wave fader thing?

Been that long since I toyed with one, I always revert to using the mouse anyway :p

Here's how it looks on the C|24:

But to get back on topic, I have seen the C|24 flip out (random error messages on startup, only noise coming through the monitoring section, requires resetting etc.) once or twice with no apparent reason. Is this common with the unit or just bad luck on my behalf?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 and I was a bit pissed off at the MIDI editing (Not recording, but editing and writing). Lucky I got the free upgrade to 8, now it's perfect. That's all I've got to say though, because I haven't really used it to its full potential. :)

EDIT: Oh and it looks as though I'm extremely late on the whole MIDI topic. Oh well.

I got Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 and I was a bit pissed off at the MIDI editing (Not recording, but editing and writing). Lucky I got the free upgrade to 8, now it's perfect. That's all I've got to say though, because I haven't really used it to its full potential. :)

EDIT: Oh and it looks as though I'm extremely late on the whole MIDI topic. Oh well.

Hi Rick, it's never too late to join in. I agree with you 100%. I know that earlier in this thread, James mentioned that with 7.4.x MIDI in Pro-Tools was a big improvement. Personally, I would have hate to have seen it prior to then as I found the MIDI in 7.4.x to be terrible compared to the competition.
All I remember are lots of blue blobs... :lol:

Regarding the C|24 - yeah it does look like one badass controller, but why include the pres in it? Can't Digidesign give us something in between the Command-8 and C|24 at a reasonable price?
Something like a Command-16 would be nice (scrap the 5.1 monitoring section etc.) and aim it toward the LE crowd.

if it just like blue blobs to you and seemed horribe... well then you weren't doing it right.

i've been working with MIDI since 1986, and starting at 7.4.2, PT has been excellent with MIDI.

FTR, a dedicated "Drum Editor" window, with vertical axis representing drums and horizontal axis representing time, is EXACTLY what you have in the NORMAL edit window... it's just not "dumbed down". drum editor grids ate like "training wheels"... not something to be considered as a mark of a DAW having achieved some level of quality. i do not need a drum editor, haven't since my second year of MIDI use, and i would never go back... the regular piano-roll editor is far more powerful for drum editing,... don't want training wheels on my bike, and i don't want them on my DAW.

hit F4 to enable Grid Mode, and boom.. you have a drum editor grid. whheeeee ;)

FTR, a dedicated "Drum Editor" window, with vertical axis representing drums and horizontal axis representing time, is EXACTLY what you have in the NORMAL edit window... it's just not "dumbed down". drum editor grids ate like "training wheels"... not something to be considered as a mark of a DAW having achieved some level of quality. i do not need a drum editor, haven't since my second year of MIDI use, and i would never go back... the regular piano-roll editor is far more powerful for drum editing,... don't want training wheels on my bike, and i don't want them on my DAW.

hit F4 to enable Grid Mode, and boom.. you have a drum editor grid. whheeeee ;)

not to bash what you are saying, but one good thing the drum map offers over any other daw is the ability to give a note a name. so instead of remembering that c1 is the kick, and b#4 is the right crash, i can click in the lane titled "kick" and "right crash" respectively.

not to bash what you are saying, but one good thing the drum map offers over any other daw is the ability to give a note a name. so instead of remembering that c1 is the kick, and b#4 is the right crash, i can click in the lane titled "kick" and "right crash" respectively.

Pretty sure I mentioned this important feature above. Even Reaper can do this which is a little unfair for us Pro-Toolers!