The 'I love ProTools' thread

Personally I would go for M Powered, as you can get a Profire 2626, which kicks the crap out of any Digi interface imo. A major step up from the 1814 too.

8 Pre's all with -20dB pads.
1 Mohm instrument inputs on the first 2 pre's
Line inputs that bypass the pre's, so only go through the converters.
2 ADAT inputs, so if you upgrade to some really nice pre's and converters later on you can use 16 channels and don't have to worry about going through another set inferior of pre's like you have to with LE interfaces.
2 independent headphone outputs that can be fed from any pair of outputs, great for having another mix for a drummer.
SPDIF input aswell, so if you need alot of inputs you can get a copy of Reaper and use all 26 in's, then transfer the audio files to PT for editing and mixing. (I hate the 18 input limit on PT)

Also with PTMP you can pick up a Transit for about £60 so you've got a portable interface for mixing on the move, with LE your cheapest option is the Mbox Micro which I think is a bit more, and doesn't have the same input and output options of the Transit.

The only downside to PTMP is that you can't get the DV Toolkit, doesn't worry me though as I'm much more interested in the Music Production Toolkit.

no, you guys got me wrong. i already have an rme fireface which has very decent converters and pre's, so all i'm looking for is an LE/m-powered compatible interface that'll basically act as a dongle to run PT. i don't want to use the converters or pre's of that, hence the lightbridge idea.

getting a 002 or 2626 would be quite a downstep from a fireface imho.....i used to own a profire 610 which quickly got replaced by the FF - never looked back after that really.

im not that fussed bout delay comp.
Cmd click on volume ammount, highlight region, press Alt+h ahift back by that ammount.
SHAZAM

Personally I would go for M Powered, as you can get a Profire 2626, which kicks the crap out of any Digi interface imo. A major step up from the 1814 too.

8 Pre's all with -20dB pads.
1 Mohm instrument inputs on the first 2 pre's
Line inputs that bypass the pre's, so only go through the converters.
2 ADAT inputs, so if you upgrade to some really nice pre's and converters later on you can use 16 channels and don't have to worry about going through another set inferior of pre's like you have to with LE interfaces.
2 independent headphone outputs that can be fed from any pair of outputs, great for having another mix for a drummer.
SPDIF input aswell, so if you need alot of inputs you can get a copy of Reaper and use all 26 in's, then transfer the audio files to PT for editing and mixing. (I hate the 18 input limit on PT)

Also with PTMP you can pick up a Transit for about £60 so you've got a portable interface for mixing on the move, with LE your cheapest option is the Mbox Micro which I think is a bit more, and doesn't have the same input and output options of the Transit.

The only downside to PTMP is that you can't get the DV Toolkit, doesn't worry me though as I'm much more interested in the Music Production Toolkit.

Is the 610 the same quality as the 2626? I don't have the money for a 2626:cry:

It's not a big problem for me. It depends by what you use. If I have some plugin that adds delay, I only put timeadjuster on the other tracks, or you can create a bus with timeadjuster inserted and send the output of the tracks with no delay on this new bus. A little tricky but not too much.

that is perhaps the longest most ball bustingist way to to do it... see my post above.

that is perhaps the longest most ball bustingist way to to do it... see my post above.

the problem with nudging tracks is you have to be anal with note taking.
You nudge to correct the timing for a plug, then you change your mind about that plug and change it for another, track is out of time again.

Open the session on HD and it won't play back right if delay compensation is on.

And you can't nudge buses.

I want ADC/PDC in PT just so I'll not have to hear about it every fucking day. :mad:

yeah, i don't suggest nudging tracks, for many reasons... not the least of which being AGZ's objection which he noted above... select all tracks that need the delay-comp, hold Option+Shift and add the delay-comp to one insert and it will appear on all the selected tracks.

I'm sure by the end of its lifecycle ProTools will have a single shortcut that will track, edit, mix, master and press a redbook CD of your material in one step.

I don't mix on LE personally. I own it, but use it strictly for editing. I would rather grab a shareware copy of Reaper and mix on that, provided I've edited and consolidated everything up in PT. The whole latency compensation thing just isn't worth the hassle IMO. I don't want to be thinking about it at all when I mix - there are plenty of other deterrents without adding needless ones to the process.

well, the advantage of mixing in PT vs reaper is that you can use the digi plugins as well as some other rtas only ones, and from what i've gathered the stock plugin selection of PT is pretty damn good....think d-verb, bf76, sansamp and the likes. then you got the massey tapehead etc which also won't work in reaper.
but i definitely get your point, and it's actually cool to hear someone NOT recommending LE for anything, incl. mixing.

but, let me repost my question from above:
"i already have an rme fireface which has very decent converters and pre's, so all i'm looking for is an LE/m-powered compatible interface that'll basically act as a dongle to run PT. i don't want to use the converters or pre's of that, hence the lightbridge idea."

any suggestions?

You'll need one of their interfaces that has an ADAT connection. Last I checked only the 003 has that. The Mbox 2 Pro only has a SPDIF digital interconnection. Unfortunately there is no cost effective way to use your own converters with LE, because you're stuck buying one of their useless interfaces first.

Wait, so just to be clear, because I am also interested in the lightbridge... Do you have to a digi interface to hook into the lightbridge or could you use any interface with ADAT?

you dont have to be THAT anal; i just make sure that i seperate the region at bar 1 then i know thats where it needs shifting back to

Ive Been Using PTLE for about 2 Years and I really Love it. LE is Fine for me and the sized projects Im doing but Ive never really looked at the HD Systems.

Ive Used a HD system extensively where i studied Tech Production, But it was in conjuction with a 48 channel Inline DNR Octagon Console, So Protools was a "tape Machine"

For the Guys who own HD Systems, What I/O Interfaces do you Use and how do you Go about Preamps, on a medium level?