The inevitable has happened.. Good Bye Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding one more thing (would like to discuss this with you guys): I really hoped the replace would have been with Peter Lindgren, which I don't like very much as a musician. But well, I understand that a mastermind's got to have someone subdued to himself. So this could be kind of an unsolvable problem, if you think about it.

Lindgren adds many aspects that I love about Opeth, don't diss him. His solos are more scaly and generic compared to Mikael, but listen to "Beneath the Mire" again, and tell me you dont like that solo.

i find it interesting that lindgren is so replacable to so many people, but lopez was so incredibly crucial to the band. Whos to say some other "metal" guitarist would pull off everything peter does in the same way? pretty presumptuous.

Sanzen said:
I just don't see Axe contributing the little subtleties that Lopez did. As someone pointed out earlier, Axe is a fairly straight-forward metal drummer. M-Lo brought his latin and funk influences and combined them with death metal...what unique style is Axe going to bring?

I'll miss Lopez, and I think they can do better than Axe. He's a good drummer...just not that different.
his unique skill of incessant double bass and drum mashing(thats alli hear from drums in nmf) lopez will be missed..:cry:

its not enough to bitch about Axe that now you're hassling Peter?!?!?!?!

you guys really need to get a life eh...

Powers said:
Why is it that people think vocalists are irreplaceable?

Is it 'cause they're the voice of the band?

well that is true most of the time, but it goes even further in the O case. Mikael is
a) the main songwriter
b) main guitarist, along with vox
c) comedian

but seriously, because of the fact that he's the songwriter, if Opeth got another frontman, it would be a different band. Simple as that. It would be very different music, most likely. Also, Mikael has the best DM/clean vocal combo I can think of.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i find it interesting that lindgren is so replacable to so many people, but lopez was so incredibly crucial to the band. Whos to say some other "metal" guitarist would pull off everything peter does in the same way? pretty presumptuous.

ehh, Peter didn't show much uniqueness. As I've said, he is a very good guitarist, imo, but if another seasoned guitarist was given time to learn Opeth songs, I'm sure a studio record/live show would be just as good, given some time.
I did not say Lopez was replaceable though. BUT, as Mike said, he was pretty important to Opeth's sound. I don't know any drum terminology whatsoever, but he definetly added stuff in his work that you don't catch right off the bat, and his jazzy style is very good. Axe is doing a very good job touring with the band, and is improving with each tour, imo. I'm not super bummed like everyone that Lopez left, lol i really don't even care, but I do wish him the best of luck.

Jazrodian said:
its not enough to bitch about Axe that now you're hassling Peter?!?!?!?!

you guys really need to get a life eh...

Do you know what forums are for? You are supposed to know it, since you got an account. :)

Back on topic, why don't you tell us what do you think about this latest happening?

So that you could be useful.

Kerry King said:
Amon Amarth improved immensely following the departure of Lopez. Lets hope Opeth have the same luck.

KFK

Edit: ok.... thats just lame. Its not going to happen.

amon amarth is still in the negative though. not exactly the same thing as opeth. :Smug:

Status
Not open for further replies.