The making of UNIVERSAL part II- Live on the Official Borknagar Youtube channel

Excellent video. Thanks for putting these together. The guitar work is top notch, and I can really hear the introspective path they said they would be taking.

Haha...can you maybe imform me where the stash of hidden money is located?

And to the dude above who wrote "WHAT!?!?!? A DVD!?!?!?!" haha
I never said a DVD is coming, all I said is MAYBE down the road if it happens.
Would be really sick though.

Hey Dave, didn't you notice the…

What?!?! DVD?!?! Are you finally working on one?!? Did you get Asgeir's footage?!? What will it include?!?

Look at the smiley Dave! Look!
;)

in the post? Hahahaha ;) .

Lars Jensen! I wonder how the Myrkgrav album is coming along. Oh and the video is fucking awesome, I'm really hyped for this album even more than I was before.

Yeah, that's me. I have to say it was pretty neat to be there with the band and listen to the album at various stages of production - it's going to be one solid record! Granted I was only there while drum tracking was happening, but I really enjoyed meeting the guys. I can't tell you that I know Borknagar's entire discography, but the new album is definitely as "colossal" as it comes.

Myrkgrav is at a halt and has been for a while. I don't want to use this thread to talk about it, if you want to know more you can PM me. :)

Kølabrennern;8647566 said:
Yeah, that's me. I have to say it was pretty neat to be there with the band and listen to the album at various stages of production - it's going to be one solid record! Granted I was only there while drum tracking was happening, but I really enjoyed meeting the guys. I can't tell you that I know Borknagar's entire discography, but the new album is definitely as "colossal" as it comes.

Myrkgrav is at a halt and has been for a while. I don't want to use this thread to talk about it, if you want to know more you can PM me. :)

Lars! I'm the guy from Empiric. :)

Really wish you were in Borknagar. If not as a songwriter than as a singer because your harsh vocals are unrivaled.

PLEASE GIVE US MORE MYRKGRAV! Or at least put Skojin Jomfru back up. You're killing me. ;(

I just love the way this forum was kind of "dead" for a few days, and suddenly is a sea of surprises.

@Jens: Of course we're enjoying. There's only a small problem: We want MORE MORE MORE!!!!

Lars! I'm the guy from Empiric. :)

Really wish you were in Borknagar. If not as a songwriter than as a singer because your harsh vocals are unrivaled.

PLEASE GIVE US MORE MYRKGRAV! Or at least put Skojin Jomfru back up. You're killing me. ;(

Well hi there, John!

Although flattering, I don't have anywhere near as much talent and/or experience as those guys. I'm not being modest this time. And let's face it, I haven't written a song in over a year or done vocals in almost three, don't think I'd be of much use to anyone in any band. You know how most soundguys are retired musicians who just couldn't cut it, and I'm pretty much happy with that as long as I still enjoy the sound engineering job. I also get to meet a lot of great people in the studio, which is always a plus!

I really don't want to steal the fire in this thread, that would be most rude. Just thought I'd chime in with my thoughts about the new Borkis album. It'll be worth the wait, trust me. ;)

Kølabrennern;8647761 said:
I really don't want to steal the fire in this thread, that would be most rude. Just thought I'd chime in with my thoughts about the new Borkis album. It'll be worth the wait, trust me. ;)

Well, actually you can help add fuel to the fire by giving some insights into the drum recording that wasn't covered in the first video. For instance, how did you guys come to the final sound that is on the album? How many pieces of the kit are triggered, how much of it is natural? Also, it seems to have a heavy room ambiance on the kit as well, which is something I quite like.

Dave can also chime in as well to not only the above questions, but also how he approached the material. I'm sure you wanted to add your own style to the music, but how did you handle the situation of entering the band with great and distinctive drummers like Grim and Asgeir?

Well, actually you can help add fuel to the fire by giving some insights into the drum recording that wasn't covered in the first video. For instance, how did you guys come to the final sound that is on the album? How many pieces of the kit are triggered, how much of it is natural? Also, it seems to have a heavy room ambiance on the kit as well, which is something I quite like.

Dave can also chime in as well to not only the above questions, but also how he approached the material. I'm sure you wanted to add your own style to the music, but how did you handle the situation of entering the band with great and distinctive drummers like Grim and Asgeir?

Hey-

Nothing on the kit was triggered. We replaced the sounds recorded with samples that we took of the kit after the recording process. I didnt want the sound to be artificial. I like BIG sounding drums but I hate triggered maddness. The tom sounds on the album are all natural just sampled from the toms in the studio, the snare is my snare, Pearl signature ultracast 14x6.5, resampled onto itself a few times so it sounds very powerful and the kicks are a sample that I made combined with the Metallica black album kick. Very balls but very natural I love the black album production so that was kind of a base for me.

Grim and Asgeirs playing didnt really have any influence on me. Im not a copycat nor do I wish to sound like someone else with my playing. I dont believe in big shoes to fill. Ive had to fill Derek Roddy, Dave Culross and a bunch other drum gods shoes before and did it just fine but with my own style. Joining a band that is more mellow than what Im familiar with is just more fun for me as a drummer because I can either A- Completely create something fresh and beautiful on my own or B- fuck it up and not fall into the music and over play the parts. I think I served selection "A" quite well in this effort.

I feel that the drum sound on Universal is the most organic one to come out of Toproom in a long while, probably ever. I, like many others, have had some "issues" with the drums on earlier releases that have come out of the studio (Åsmegin debut, for example), but I think Børge really is doing a fantastic job these days in bringing out the natural air in mixes. We actuallly didn't use room mics for recording the drums, but the recording room in Toproom has a quite open, blooming characteristic. Otherwise the setup is pretty normal, Sennheiser MD 421s on the toms, Neumann KM184 on overheads etc. Like Dave said we've layered some of the single drums with recorded samples to fatten things up a little.

I think one thing you'll notice when listening to the album is the interesting accentuation of certain drum parts, blast beats in particular. It's something different and I don't think neither Øystein (only other band member there when we were tracking drums) or Børge and me expected it when we first set out to start recording. It's one of those things you don't know whether is ultra cool or a little odd to begin with, but as things started falling into place I think it put a definite identity into the album as a whole. It's hard to explain. Dave definitely put his own stamp on this record, and successfully so if I may add.