The men of Symphony X

DoomsdayZach said:
Again, i strongly disagree. Just because an album takes less time doesn't mean the quality is less or their motivations are different. Again, i'll grant that i'm sure there are some folks like that, but that's just not how the metal scene works. Damn near everyone understands why they are here and what it takes to do that. A lot of bands HAVE to tour because touring is where you make money (merch sales), so there is no choice but to tour extensively. Sure some bands will party and such, and that's part of the lifestyle for many, but that's hardly a reason to spend years learning an instrument, forming a band, spending time writing songs, recording, then spending over half the year away from home in strange countries dealing with bullshit promotors and crooked record labels. If all they wanted to do was party, they'd save the money to do that.

This album has taken more than 4 years because if you remember, symphony x also toured for quite some time. Let's give them a year because of that. Probably not a solid year, but it's pretty close because i saw them december of '02 and september of '03. This includes rehearsal time for old material to get it back up to par, doing the first leg of the tour, then taking a break to rework the odyssey a bit for the live environment, playing more shows. Then i'm sure they took some down time for a little bit at least to recharge, back to the writing process, then they got interrupted by gigantour, recording, then Lepond had his unfortunate health issues, then more recording... you see where i'm going with this? In reality, 4 years isn't that long. now it is just a waiting game for the band and label to approve everything, get it manufactured and go which can also take time based on the labels release schedule and so forth.

your points about symphony x are correct in that they are an exceptional band, but i would bet that even the majority of bands are not even close to the picture you paint. So you get to ride in/drive this van or bus to the next city, get to the venue, wait around for literally hours doing nothing, waiting for the show to begin so you can play for 45 minutes, then offstage where you go wait until you leave. That's reality.

Dag, you said so much that I can't even quote all of it. Look, Symphony X is more than just "Exceptional." Metal is everything to me, and I know of plenty of exceptional bands, they are a dime a dozen in metal. Symphony X is an elite group of musicians, who are playing for the MUSIC and for the stage, period (not the party, girls, drugs, rock stardom, etc). Almost all of them work 9-5 jobs (I don't think Dream Theater does that, do you?). My point was that MJR is taking really taking his time to make this album the best ever, and I love that I will never have to worry about the quality of his work. Many other bands care more about the road than the music.

MasqueReaper said:
Almost all of them work 9-5 jobs (I don't think Dream Theater does that, do you?). My point was that MJR is taking really taking his time to make this album the best ever, and I love that I will never have to worry about the quality of his work. Many other bands care more about the road than the music.

DT doesnt work 9-5 jobs because they dont need to. Music is their job. It pays their bills 100 times over, I'm sure. But I guarantee you SX wouldnt mind having that situation for themselves either. If the ultimate goal is to get your music out to as many ears as possible, then DT has succeeded in a genre where most cannot. One can speculate that a band is doing it all for the music, but that only goes so far. Being paid what you are worth must also bring some gratification as well.

rockyracoon said:
DT doesnt work 9-5 jobs because they dont need to. Music is their job. It pays their bills 100 times over, I'm sure. But I guarantee you SX wouldnt mind having that situation for themselves either. If the ultimate goal is to get your music out to as many ears as possible, then DT has succeeded in a genre where most cannot. One can speculate that a band is doing it all for the music, but that only goes so far. Being paid what you are worth must also bring some gratification as well.

I don't know, I hold a grudge with DT because we were supposed to meet them at Gigantour and they cancelled the signing (which I heard had occured several other times on the tour). Just seeing SyX on the side stage and DT on the main stage pissed me off that day, but whatever Romeo and co blew every band away, nobody even touched them (DT's performance was great, but it lacked the soul that I wish it had, too robotic).
Anyway, Pinella doesn't seem like he hates working 9-5, he gets to play with keyboards all day! (and yes, I do consider myself lucky as hell to be able to walk in and say hi...but you Europe ppl can go chill with Alexi Laiho and Jari from Wintersun, no? :headbang:

Something sets Symphony X apart to me, their live act completely surpasses their albums because they actually ADD crazy shit in (especially bass and drums)...most bands have a hard enough time playing what is on the album, and these guys take the hardest music and make it harder. True musicianship! Anyone who does not own their live album should impale themselves!

proulxski said:
the live album rapes....TtLg is fucking amazing brings tears to my eyes! when i met them on gigantour they seemed really chill, almost like my friends just so much cooler...besides who needs friends when you got symphony x??
So you went to the Gigantour in Montreal right?

I was there, I just wanna know how you managed to chill out with them. I had to leave right after the show, it really sucked.

1by4by9 said:
Rolf Harris? :kickass:

"There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold..." :D
Why Rolf Harris, when we could easily cross out Rolf, and it would be me? :D

proulxski said:
the live album rapes....TtLg is fucking amazing brings tears to my eyes! when i met them on gigantour they seemed really chill, almost like my friends just so much cooler...besides who needs friends when you got symphony x??

My personal favorite on the live album is Church of the Machine, it is so insane that they play it better live than on the album. Rullo and Leopond blow the recording away, improvising everywhere. It goes to show that it is possible to improve upon perfection.

Yep...so if you don't have the live album...you should probably consider killing yourself (Don't actually do it...but you should probably consider it)

My personal favorite on the live album is Church of the Machine, it is so insane that they play it better live than on the album. Rullo and Leopond blow the recording away, improvising everywhere.

I love the improvised part in the middle of the second verse. So awesome!

As far as Metal not making money, that is not necessarily true. Let's be specific...PROG metal does not make 'rockstar status' money, simply because it is a severe genre category that most average people don't get. Bands like Lamb of God and Atreyu and Killswitch Engage have done great in the mainstream. Especially with a consistent production of Hollywood horror films, 'stock metal bands' do just fine and actually do real well on soundtracks and stuff like that.

But think, Symphony X has groups of fans that BUY their physical record. There are plenty of pop bands or 'mass public' bands that do terrible because the level of devotion from the fans obviously isn't the same. Combined with the fact that InsideOut is a great label, I bet Symphony X does decent...especially when a listen to ONE album usually leads to purchasing all of them, at least I did, and they have plenty of product to sell.

So you went to the Gigantour in Montreal right?

I was there, I just wanna know how you managed to chill out with them. I had to leave right after the show, it really sucked.

The tour's "powers that be" had arranged a tent for the bands to do autographs in after their set; the sucky part was that you had to buy the cd(s) there from the cd store who sponsored the tent to get it/them autographed. Quite a scam (the band had nothing to do with planning it), but it provided a lot of people with a chance to talk to the band that they might not have had otherwise.