The New album is called Watershed : Out June 2nd

Oh how nice it would be if Opeth released the studio version of "Heir Apparent" as a taster before the release. Afterall, we have already heard it in it's entity but with a somewhat bad quality.

By the way. Someone mentioned earlier that Opeth has shot a promotional video for one of the new songs.....was it a joke or something. There hasn't been any talk around it. :err:

No problem. Perhaps I will give you my own review tomorrow :p

How can you not understand why? The only problem is having certain expectations of what's to come and then maybe being let down.

Never understood why people want to read other people's opinions about songs we've never heard so badly...tbh.

I like reading reviews for the little tidbits of info. As far as the authors' opinions, well, those I take worth a grain of sand. I often disagree with reviewers' opinions on music I'm familiar with, so I definitely don't put much stock in their opinions on what I haven't heard yet. But the little facts about the songs and stuff are interesting to read....

idk...I don't understand for the simple fact that I'm not the one listening to the album. People's perceptions of sounds and genres can be quite different. Look no further than the insistence that Opeth has a "jazz influence," something that I've never heard in Opeth's sound and no...using a fretless bass doesn't automatically make a song "jazzy" imo. I guess I can understand that they can be interesting to read...:shrug:

I've just returned from a listening party and my god...My memory is hazy, especially because we only got to listen to it once before Mike and Frederick had to leave but it sure as hell leaves an impression on you. Mid-way through I remember thinking to myself "I think this is going to be my least favourite album:erk:" and in a lot of instances, "interesting...:err:" but i think it's one of those albums where the first listen really fucking throws you off and then it just..grows. My overall impression of it was based on one track, which I think was the Lotus Eater: a nightmare, it feels like i'm in a nightmare - but in the best possible sense of the word. In a realistic sense? (A bit like how the song Blackwater Park felt when I woke up with it playing - haunting). The typical Opethian moments ie heavy/light slow/fast just take you from each event in that nightmare..it's hard to explain, but Mike was nodding when I was explaining this, lol. 'Nightmare' might be the wrong word but it's stuck in my head, maybe because at the time I was worried that "this is gunna be my least fave". I'm gunna give up trying to get my analogy right but to me that feeling you have when there's a horrible dream that stays in your head all day was there. He wasn't kidding when he said it was 'eeeevil'. I was quite gutted I couldn't listen to it again but these are just some things i've noted (in my seive-like head):

- a lot more progressive than usual and a lot more folkier, and if I remmeber correctly, Mike is singing for the most part. It's not so 'foresty' as people have described previous albums, but somehow brighter, in fact in one part I was visualising a maid in a meadow, long grass, daisies :p, a Victoriany picture - diffeent to the dark dingy forest. The folky parts really are effective.

- Coil: Nathalie sounds beautiful, even though I didn't think her voice was all that much watching the vids on YouTube. Bearing in mind Opeth's work, this will sound 'new' to you, as with the rest of the album.

- Heir Apparent: You've all heard this song, I can tell you it sounds much better than it does in the Melloboat vid.

-The Lotus Eater: This will be a fucking hit. It's funny because the rhythm of it is stuck in my memory, I keep replaying it but I can't comment further, this might've been one of the songs lots of stops and changes.

-Burden: As the reviews have said, (if I have the right song) there's very much of that Deep Purple influence and at first I didn't think this was anything great but towards the end it was one of those again.

- Porcelain Heart: Yes.

-The last two numbers: what the review I translated said. But definitely, as with PH, Yes.

- I forget which song it was but the blast beats and the clean singing....it left me fucking grinning.

-In terms of heavy, I think the heavier bits are more brutal than your regular Opeth but it's not there constantly. It's as if the differences between the usual heavy/light that we know is a bit more extreme - even in the light parts.

-There are some really cool and techy 'effects' that are on this album, 2 especially but I don't wanna ruin it.

- Violins, flute, lots of mellotrone, organ. The violins and the organ are especially cool. I eve think there was an organ solo.

I'm still trying to get over it, lol. Definitely one that needs some time for you to absorb/digest.

And Mike is so fucking lovely. I wouldn't leave him alone yet he didn't tell me to fuck off. :worship:

Btw listening to it in 5.1 SS....THE way to listen to it.

The fuckin suspense is killing me :zombie:
one question...
How does it compare to their other albums??

Btw listening to it in 5.1 SS....THE way to listen to it.

I must have missed something there, the special edition will be released on the same day that the normal one and will feature a 5.1 mix as well as bonus songs?
Thanks a lot for your review, that sounds fucking great, and if the general impression you had is the right one, I guess this record has its shot to become my favorite one.
Thanks again.

@ W&W - I can't decide yet. At first it was previous albums>Watershed but that was while I was listening. I NEED to hear it again before I make that decision but it's definitley a new yet very Opeth direction.

Thonolan, yeh:D I think he said it would be.

One thing that takes the piss though: Would? will not be on the special edition. I don;t know if Mike was yanking my chain cz it was one of the first questions I asked him but he said they're gunna hold onto that one for a while and Derelict Herds will be on it instead.

I hate to say this but I cant take it anymore.. I need this to leak :worship:

I love when an album grows on you as a whole.. it makes the experience so much better and your descriptions seem to fit exactly the kind of change ive been expecting

A few more things
-Listening to the album....a bit bizarre and by the end it's quite difficult to get your head around it.
-2 not so 'positive' things: There were a few parts which I thought/remember to be a bit repetitive but I'm wondering if that was purposeful and if it fits in with the nightmare/deja vu-ish atmosphere or theme according to my first impression. axe's playing is sound but not mind-blowing.
-On a good note though, Fred's solo on Heir Apparent sounds better on cd as welll. I recall not being impressed with it in the Melloboat vid.

(You can tell i'm still excited lol):Smokin:

Guys, it annoys me to think that I actually could've recorded the damn thing. No one fucking checked! I could've been listening to it right now.

I'm liking the fact that there are lots of "folky" elements on this album. Perhaps alot of Comus influence going on here. I can't wait any longer for this!

Guys, it annoys me to think that I actually could've recorded the damn thing. No one fucking checked! I could've been listening to it right now.

Not only could you of been listening to it for yourself but you also could of shared :saint:

Thanks for your review noura.

Can't fucking wait...Is there not any leak on the web????? The watermarked promos seems to be very effective...

Yes, since feb/mar...But, there are all watermarked. I'm not sure , but the fact the album is not yet leaked it's probably due to that. However, it's not the ultimate protection against piracy so I don't know...At least, in eMule, torrent sites and fileshare sites, there is nothing...

I don't want to download a leak, but the second it's out.. I will have a really hard time not downloading it. I wish Opeth hadn't revealed anything about the album so early (compared to release date..).. reading Noura's comments it makes me think this album will be the later era's My Arms Your Hearse, at least that album was too dark and "shifting" for me to fully appreciate it in the beginning (and now I claim it a masterpiece) .. so fuck...perhaps Watershed will be one of their ... best albums!?!?! :loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:

noura if you had to give a presentage how much clean singing - screaming is there? is it 50 50 like still life/blackwater park. 60 clean/40 scream like on GR?