THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm putting all of this marketing/publicity crap on Roadrunner. I really think it's their fault.

Lmao, what's with this mobile bullshit too, as if I even have one? Idiots. Do they expect everyone to have a mobile phone or something? They've become this trendy now? Damn. It's even a required feild. Sorry, but I found this HILARIOUS.

agreed, most of this is of course because of roadrunner.
anyways, heres my initial impression of the track:
Labries voice in this one reminds me of something from train of thought, specifically this dying soul. The track as a whole is quite heavy, but in my opinion isn't anything too special. It just sounds like a generic metal song. I still have high hopes for this album though

Kenneth - the simple premise of promoting and selling music (CDs, concert tickets) is marketing in and of itself. Thats why its called the music *business*. Kudos to Dream Theater if they're popular enough that they can sell their name plastered on everything from t shirts to coffee mugs. A lot of fans like to have that kind of shit, and the reason a lot of bands don't do it is because of money. Being that, they don't either a) have enough to print the shit up, or b) have a big enough demand from their fan base that it would warrant investing money into making said merchandise.

Kenneth - the simple premise of promoting and selling music (CDs, concert tickets) is marketing in and of itself. Thats why its called the music *business*. Kudos to Dream Theater if they're popular enough that they can sell their name plastered on everything from t shirts to coffee mugs. A lot of fans like to have that kind of shit, and the reason a lot of bands don't do it is because of money. Being that, they don't either a) have enough to print the shit up, or b) have a big enough demand from their fan base that it would warrant investing money into making said merchandise.

+100

People are just desperate for a reason to bitch and moan, simple as that

sorry Matt, I don't have respect for businesses that masquerade as bands, but I do respect bands that do some business to keep themselves going.

Thats understandable, but how do you differentiate between the two? For example, you might see Dream Theater as being "a business that masquerades as a band" because of the VIP tickets and merchandise, but who is to say they aren't doing these things to keep themselves going as well? We know they aren't really rockstars, although Im sure they live well. They do things on a larger scale than other bands because they can afford to, and Im sure the merch aids in that a lot. I won't make any presumptions because I know you're a smart guy, but it almost reads as if you're saying "its ok when a band who I deem as musically respectable markets themselves, but not when its a band that I don't."

All i'm gonna say is there's a big difference between printing up all different kinds of merch and this concert bs. I side with ken... this is more like a backstreet boys tour than a metal show.

Nothing wrong with a band making money, this just seems a bit faggy on DT's and/or roadrunner's part. But DT never needed help being faggy in the first place IMHO

sorry Matt, I don't have respect for businesses that masquerade as bands, but I do respect bands that do some business to keep themselves going.
What about a band who masquerades as a business?

I really agree about the whole charging extra for the first 10 rows thing, but either way, whoever has control over that, it's their right to make that decisions. None of us have any power over that. Ken, it sounds like you're acting like you're ranting about the fact that they didn't consult you about this decision. but they don't have to consult anyone about shit, because we're not the ones marketing them and booking the shows.
They're a band that's been around for 20 years, with a very dedicated worldwide fanbase, so I don't agree with saying that they "finally hit it big". IMO, the exact point when you should be allowed to do whatever the fuck you want with anything is when you have an army of ravenous fanbois migrating from message board to message board going on and on about how all of the band members are gods at what they do and how they do no wrong.
But what the fuck do I know? I don't know about the business side of music.

Also as far as I'm aware, they don't reserve the entire first few rows or so for VIP, its only a certain # of seats within the first rows.
Some venues in larger cities just reserve the front row for corporations and stuff. It's not always the case, but at places like Radio City and Madison Square Garden that seat thousands upon thousands of people, they do that. (Then again, you really can't use Madison Square Garden as an example because the only bands that are actually worthy of playing in the Arena @ MSG are Aerosmith or huge gigantic bands like that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.