THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was going to just leave this thread alone, but I just discovered yet another piece of evidence supporting my view towards this band I (once) liked. Their early albums still hold water for me, but their reputation does not:

DREAM THEATER has announced the details of its VIP ticket packages for the band's upcoming U.S. tour:

* Dream Theater Gold Package ($150)

This package includes one reserved ticket within the first 10 rows, a collectible DREAM THEATER laminate and a $25 voucher to the official DREAM THEATER online store. Gold Ticket Package BONUS! Two lucky fans will be upgraded and taken backstage to meet DREAM THEATER and get a photo and autograph! *Please note: Gold Tickets DO NOT include ANY backstage access.

* Dream Theater Platinum Meet and Greet Package ($300)

This package includes one reserved ticket within the first 5 rows and collectible VIP laminate that gives you access to the exclusive DREAM THEATER meet and greet experience. Fans will receive a Q&A and autograph session with DREAM THEATER, a personal photograph, an autographed 8 X 10 of band and a $25 voucher to the official DREAM THEATER online store. Backstage pass will be distributed the night of the show. 8 X 10 photo will be signed during the meet and greet session.

Is this a band or is this corporate bullshitting? There are so many better bands out there than DT, some just as famous, that you can go get drunk and hang out with for no charge.
1. You can't argue that they need the money. 2. You can't argue that they need the publicity. 3. This has to be the most DIVA-esque stunt they've ever pulled, it's exactly what's wrong with prog and metal these days. Power to legitimate bands. Power to real artists. That's all I have to say about this garbage.

metal K. says:
i'm still laughing at dream theater's latest exploit
Harris /b/ says:
?
Harris /b/ says:
indulge me
metal K. says:
150 bucks to sit in the first 10 rows
Harris /b/ says:
LOL
metal K. says:
300 to sit in the first 5
metal K. says:
and meet the band
metal K. says:
it's like they're fuckin madonna
metal K. says:
i want to go to their show and hold up a sign "I MET OPETH FOR FREE"
Harris /b/ says:
looks like all their giugs are just gonna have the first 5 rows be 16 year old John Petrucci fanbois who'll be fapping to his every note

First ten rows usually have shit sound anyway. I get the cheap seats behind the sound engineers and use binoculars (if necessary). Big frickin' whoopty-doo to meet the band in most situations. They're usually too busy to do more than sign your poster and say yahda-yahda-yahda.

The sad thing is that Kenneth probably would pay the 300 to sit up front and hold up his sign just because he thinks he has a point to prove.

It's not like their forcing anyone to pay 300 for a meet and greet and front row tickets. It's easy for a smaller bands to just hang out afterwards to chill with a dozen fans who are willing to hang out a while after the show in hopes of meeting them (that's how it was when I saw Kamelot/Epica last year), but DT has too many fans, most of which fall under the "fanboi" category, to do that. The band knows that there are plenty of those types that are willing to pay outrageous prices for the "platinum package" and they are simply capitalizing on that while avoiding the trouble of trying (and failing) to please thousands of fans for free. I for one don't put anyone on high enough of a pedestal to pay that kind of money to say hello for a few moments and get a good seat, but I'm sure this is great news for whoever has and/or is willing to pay that kind of money

First ten rows usually have shit sound anyway. I get the cheap seats behind the sound engineers and use binoculars (if necessary). Big frickin' whoopty-doo to meet the band in most situations. They're usually too busy to do more than sign your poster and say yahda-yahda-yahda.
For arena rock, absolutely agreed. Which is why I really like bands that play small venues. More personal & better acoustics. As for the whoopty-doo: also agreed. Why pay $300 for that? :lol:

So I was going to just leave this thread alone, but I just discovered yet another piece of evidence supporting my view towards this band I (once) liked. Their early albums still hold water for me, but their reputation does not:

Is this a band or is this corporate bullshitting? There are so many better bands out there than DT, some just as famous, that you can go get drunk and hang out with for no charge.
1. You can't argue that they need the money. 2. You can't argue that they need the publicity. 3. This has to be the most DIVA-esque stunt they've ever pulled, it's exactly what's wrong with prog and metal these days. Power to legitimate bands. Power to real artists. That's all I have to say about this garbage.

1. I will argue that DT has earned the right to do what they want. There is no crime against wanting financial security. Furthermore, they've given so much to their fans over the years in every conceivable way.

2. What constitutes a "legitimate band" or "real artist"??? The moment someone wants to profit from something they excel at, there's always someone there who wants to preach about how a band sold out years ago, or how only the true fans like the old shit, or any of the other countless lines of bullshit that are so typical. Small bands sometimes grow big, very big. Luckily, most fans don't give up on bands just because they achieve public and financial success. Now, THAT is what's wrong with ANY music scene. People with opinions like yours.

Reminds me of a concert I went to recently. There were people at the front who'd stood outside for hours. They were furious when a group of drunken teen girls pushed their way to the front waving $20 bills to anyone who would help them two feet closer.

It's not even about the music anymore. It's bullshit, no matter how you dress it. This latest stunt makes DT's live shows have more in common with a circus than a metal concert.

someone fucking answer me! :lol:

meaning the sale on ticketmaster, you should be able to get good dream theater tickets for 50-60$ (after fees).

Oh and check over on the Mike Portnoy forums if you wanna know the details about the bands stance on platinum packages, it has nothing to do with the band, but the band approves it becuase Mike looks at it as giving an opportunity for hardcore fans to meet the band, while the band itself does not benefit from the extra $250 in any way. I mean besides, I only think its like 5-10 seats in the first 5 rows only for platinum packages, so if you dont want them dont buy it, its as simple as that...

sup guys, this is straight out of dream theaters website, you can download one of the tracks from systematic chaos

To download your FREE copy of the track "Constant Motion" from Dream Theater's new album "Systematic Chaos", please click here. Simply fill in your details and the download link will be sent directly to your email!

Status
Not open for further replies.