THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
People always seem to compare progressive music with a band's ability to "progress". This, ironically, has nothing to do with progressive music.

When I said that it began an argument of an epic scale. According to some people it is what progressive music is about. *shrugs*

Anyone hear that 'leak' which wasnt a leak, it was some band pretending they were dream theater, but they were crap.

Since this is the off topic thread I figured it'd be the right one. Anyone else think Symphony X and co.'s relaxed handling of the album leak is really awesome? Personally, I'm waiting for the release and buying it, but it's cool that they're not going to act like other metal acts that will not be mentioned in the scope of this post, lest I be sued.

Since this is the off topic thread I figured it'd be the right one. Anyone else think Symphony X and co.'s relaxed handling of the album leak is really awesome? Personally, I'm waiting for the release and buying it, but it's cool that they're not going to act like other metal acts that will not be mentioned in the scope of this post, lest I be sued.

This isn't the off topic thread :)

Yea but some of us don't like "another stagnant prog band"

Completely agree... with your clearly stated fact. I actually prefer when a band progresses and tries different things... as long as they still kick ass :) I didn't mean to come off as a person who thinks progression is a bad thing.

OT: Hey, Pilgrim, how would you rank the 3 Planet X studio albums against each other? I have MBs, which is pretty awesome, and I'm looking into checking out some more PX. Also, what do you think Tony's best solo album is? His style is just blowing me away at the current moment, lol.

Completely agree... with your clearly stated fact. I actually prefer when a band progresses and tries different things... as long as they still kick ass :) I didn't mean to come off as a person who thinks progression is a bad thing.

OT: Hey, Pilgrim, how would you rank the 3 Planet X studio albums against each other? I have MBs, which is pretty awesome, and I'm looking into checking out some more PX. Also, what do you think Tony's best solo album is? His style is just blowing me away at the current moment, lol.

I'm glad you asked... :D

Of Planet X, I have Universe, Live From Oz and Moonbabies. I don't have the new one Quantum just yet, though that looks awesome as well (Brett Garsed and Allan Holdsworth are on guitars instead of Tony...)

My favourite is definately Moonbabies, which you've already got, the rest are definately worth getting, though I'd probably get the Live one next if I were you... It's got most of the best songs off Universe, plus a much better version of Ignotus Per Ignotium IMO, and the Atlantis Trilogy from Derek's first solo album which is a 20 minute monster epic... Their playing is so clean, you can only tell it's live from the cheering, but Tony's solos are much more insane on this than on the studio album Universe. Still get Universe, it's great, much more heavy, groove based songs, not quite as awesome musicianship IMO, but great nevertheless...

Tony's solo albums it really depends on what you're looking for, I'll divide them into periods to explain them the easiest, cos they're all so different...

1986-87:
Edge Of Insanity
Maximum Security
(Awesome Neo-Classical Metal, very fast, melodic (but short :erk: ) tunes :headbang: )

1992-93:
Freedom To Fly
Madness
(Great songs, a little more experimental, definately a Satriani, Vai flavour to the songs)

1994-95:
Premonition
Evolution
(Probably the best overall mix of his styles, Tony starts to have a much more Fusion influence, but still retains lots of Neo-Classical goodness... Evolution is probably my favourite album overall... :cool: )

1996-2001:
Violent Machine
Chromaticity
(I don't have either of these yet, but Chromaticity is definately next on the list... Much more Jazz/Fusion, but still very fast and melodic, probably the most progressive of his solo albums... )

After this is the Planet X and CAB cd's which are also very awesome, and touring with Steve Vai, and he's got a new collaboration with Billy Sheehan and Virgil Donati coming out soon, which will be absolutely amazing!

The End. :)

Hahaha, thanks, man. I knew you'd pull through with an in-depth Tony biography. I'll check out Evo and Chrom and probably all of the PX albums. Virgil is also a stunning drummer. I'd go as far as to say... technically, the best drummer of all time... if not, the best living drummer with Thomas Lang in second :p

Virgil is definately a machine...

And yeah, Tony is one of my fave guitarists ever, so yeah... Evolution and Chromaticity are probably my 2 favourites, check 'em out! :D

If you like Jazz, check out the CAB albums, they're awesome as well!

Thank God for downloading, otherwise I would have had a CD with a cool cover and shit uninspired music.

I watched the Ring of Fire dvd last night and must say Tony really was busting out some real dribble on that night....bloody horrible..the only one who could hold his head up was the Virg.

l read where DT performed the epitome prog metal album "Images & Words" in it's entirety at Gods of Metal and announced they would be doing it at select shows. DT once again proves why they own the prog metal genre...untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.