THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting some sort of smartass remark, invoking a pointless argument, but I can see you are above that.

I try to stay fair in all areas...and not be a "fanboy" or "progsnob?" to any particular bands lol.

Thank you brother for getting the point! Nah, you can't take me seriously... even when i say i'm serious But i love you now because... in all honesty, the progsnobs here use the argument i used more often than you'd believe. The fact that you call bullshit and realize it gains major kudos. Even though you still suck for not liking agalloch (just fuckin' around).

Wordles...I may still suck for disliking Agalloch, I'm gonna get reamed even harder for not liking Dream Theater anymore. It's those fucking vocals man.

Before I knew about S-X, I was digging DT quite a bit because I was enjoying the technicality they had in their music....and then came S-X.

I am a jack-of-all-trades in music, so I can play everything decently well; but I trophy vocals above all, and when I heard Russell sing for the first time I almost shit myself just knowing it was really, the same kind of music as DT but the vocals just blew them out of the water.

Needless to say, ever since that day I haven't been able to listen to DT at all...because to me, it just doesn't seem like the vocalist puts any soul or feeling into his music at all. Maybe it's because they were all Berkley? students (I think, maybe I'm wrong).

I saw that Gigantour clip on the web awhile back, of the bands collaborating to play Cemetary Gates, and first, he was reading the lyrics (-10 pts.), next, which I expected, he was putting no "soul" or feeling into what he was singing...and then Russell came out for the pre-chorus and fucking tore it up.

There just aren't words to describe the levels of superiority S-X's vocalist has over DT's. Now when you get into the other member's ability? That remains to be seen...you can't really say one person is better than another, because it's completely different play styles; although I do obviously prefer the more bluesy, hard rock influence that MJR has over Petrucci's all-technique/school taught style of playing, which I hate. It's like comparing Vai to Satch...I hate Vai for the same reasons I dislike Petrucci, although I do prefer Petrucci to Vai.

I popped in the new DT album the other day to give it a listen (this was after I had been listening to S-X's Paradise Lost). I got to maybe the third track, which is like 20 minutes of music, and turned it off and threw it out of the window. This is where the flaming comes in. I realize, again it's a different style which I MAY not like, but it was just trash compared to S-X's new shit.

It just seems like, DT, being from Berkeley or w/e that they don't really care or something. It's hard to try and find words to describe what I mean but it's just something you have to feel I guess.

-Insert Flameproof Vest, GO!-

When I was watching the Cemetery gates it was so boring and gay and I was thinking ' Who is this faggy singer, and who's that other singer ? They both suck '.. then.. Russell came out and started singing, my jaw hit the floor, I was amazed and chills were going down my spine.. it was just amazing, beautiful, tremendous, great.. He is such a great singer.
Dream Theater does not compare to Symphony X in any way, I don't know why people would ask which is better, they are two very different bands that are in the same genre. I don't like Dream Theater because in my eyes they don't write songs, they just play. Symphony X write songs, its not just mindless shredding or playing.. in the end Symphony X are playing songs !! And I like songs ! lol
I'm sad you shun Steve Vai as just a show off, he is such a musician.. and a great one at that, he makes original and beautiful songs. He is a modern composer to me.. and whats funny is the thing that got me hooked to him was when I watched the video for Tender Surrender a couple years back. I mean, he looked sort of goofy to some people, but to me, all I saw was his soul just playing that guitar, it was seriously his voice.. it was just superb

You don't need to put a flameproof vest on, just say Dream Theater are Shit to you, if anyone attacks you then its their own stupidity and you automatically win

I got tired of hearing about Agalloch in a Dream Theater thread so I finally went to the site and streamed the songs they have up there and can say...

Sounds like the band needs some serious work. The drums were off the the guitar was pretty weak. Symphony X by far surpasses that band in every way.

Their Bio section stated them as an "ever changing" Black Metal-rooted band...sounded like a bad version of Porcupine Tree tbh.

Maybe they have A good song or two out there...and if so it might be better for them to put those songs on there. :puke:

Agalloch > you

You don't need to put a flameproof vest on, just say Dream Theater are Shit to you, if anyone attacks you then its their own stupidity and you automatically win

Haha...word.

I dunno, Steve is definately GOOD...don't get me wrong, he's better than I'll ever be - escpecially since he's in Crossroads playing the duel at the end of the movie (more kudos to him :) )

I guess it's just a matter of taste to me, because when I watched Vai, Petrucci, and Satch at G3 in '05 I think, they all went and started playing Lagrange by ZZtop and started improv soloing some blues shit, and Vai never once put any bluesy feel into his solos or anything soulful. He just started messing with his whammy bar lol.

It's all just a matter of taste IMO. It's the same reason I don't really like Petrucci as much as Romeo..not enough feeling for me.

:kickass: :headbang: :worship: :loco: :)

Haha...word.

I dunno, Steve is definately GOOD...don't get me wrong, he's better than I'll ever be - escpecially since he's in Crossroads playing the duel at the end of the movie (more kudos to him :) )

I guess it's just a matter of taste to me, because when I watched Vai, Petrucci, and Satch at G3 in '05 I think, they all went and started playing Lagrange by ZZtop and started improv soloing some blues shit, and Vai never once put any bluesy feel into his solos or anything soulful. He just started messing with his whammy bar lol.

It's all just a matter of taste IMO. It's the same reason I don't really like Petrucci as much as Romeo..not enough feeling for me.

:kickass: :headbang: :worship: :loco: :)

What "Tender Surrender" off of youtube, and then I dare you to say that he does not have enough feeling.
Actually I'll make it super easy for you.. here it is:

Last edited by a moderator:
You have my attention. lol

Quite amazing; didn't think Vai had it in him to do that kinda thing.

I saw Eric Johnson a few months ago with Robert Cray and Johnson, to me is quite about Satch with his style of playing.

But for sure..I have a newfound respect for Vai with that one there.
By far best part of the song is going from the solo back into the slower part...very very nice.

Kudos to Vai :headbang:

I told you man, I told you.. Vai speaks with his guitar.. its amazing..

Kenneth R. I feel the almsot the same as you and MetalInChains ! By golly ! Lets start a fan club ! Yeah !! That would so own !!!

I like you. And that says a lot because I hate everyone.

I feel the same way as you about Dream Theater and the G3 guys.

Rofl.

I told you man, I told you.. Vai speaks with his guitar.. its amazing..

Kenneth R. I feel the almsot the same as you and MetalInChains ! By golly ! Lets start a fan club ! Yeah !! That would so own !!!

LOL! You're not joking btw. He literally speaks when he plays, almost every note he plays he sings hahahha. Too funny.

Its not funny, its art

It's actually not him speaking the notes that is art...the guitar playing is the actual art.

Him speaking the notes is probably something he can't help but do; which is awesome by the way, if you thought I was knocking it.

Vaughan did the same thing sometimes I noticed...but you can't begin to compare THOSE two. :lol:

It's actually not him speaking the notes that is art...the guitar playing is the actual art.

Him speaking the notes is probably something he can't help but do; which is awesome by the way, if you thought I was knocking it.

Vaughan did the same thing sometimes I noticed...but you can't begin to compare THOSE two. :lol:

I know, Vai totally owns him in every single way imaginable. He was an over-rated country blues boy who was more innovative than talented.
I'm glad we're on the same page here man

I know, Vai totally owns him in every single way imaginable. He was an over-rated country blues boy who was more innovative than talented.
I'm glad we're on the same page here man

Whoa whoa...I didn't mean Vai was better than Vaughan by the way, in case you misunderstood lol.

Jesus Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.