THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
this kids, is an example of what happens when you listen to too much DT.. you become deaf..

HAHAHA. Sorry but that was hilarious.

I respect LaBrie, he has a good voice for what he does, which is sing very clean and true. What's good, and IMO better about Allen, is that he has that AND the ruffage you hear a lot of on the new album. Versatility is the key in my book. I think DT dropped that ball with Train of Thought, trying to be a little harder which doesn't seem to work for them...mostly and probably because of his vocal style.

...and if those are "respectively" Petrucci and Portnoys lyrics? Then he is weak and should, as the singer of the band, write the lyrics himself so people don't think he has no lyrical creativity lol; because I have to be honest...I have yet to hear one DT song that, with the lyrics or meaning, really gets my attention or touches me in some form or another.

As for saying Vai excels in innovativeness and what not, it really all comes down to age, because with every era comes new guitarists with new ideas...so naturally any virtuoso or guitarist in their league will probably turn out to be more "excelled" than Vaughan simply because he died and since then people naturally have gotten better and better. Satriani was around the same time Stevie was, and I don't believe that he was nearly as good as Vaughan at the time...though you may.

I prefer Rudess as a player, however I think the band as a whole was at it's strongest song-wise with Moore on keys... I think from a musicianship point of view they're at their strongest now, but the songwriting was best IAW, Awake and ACOS ... imo

I like Vai better
Obviously because you like Vaughn better and have not actually attempted to compare the two you have a somewhat biased and unbalanced love for Vaughn, so I recommend you check out more Vai albums before you quickly put him down.

I prefer Rudess as a player, however I think the band as a whole was at it's strongest song-wise with Moore on keys... I think from a musicianship point of view they're at their strongest now, but the songwriting was best IAW, Awake and ACOS ... imo

I couldn't have said it better myself, rudess i think is a more talented muso but they definately lost something when Moore left:cry:

picard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.