THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
*shrugs* I enjoy Systematic Chaos quite a bit. ESPECIALLY coming off of Octavarium which, save for 2 songs and parts of a few others, I didn't like at all. The worst part about the band is all the sniveling bitches they bring to the internet everytime an album comes out.

I'm loving systematic chaos atm - Ministry of lost souls and in the presence of enemies pt 1 are up there IMO with anything DT have ever written - great album. I find it more listenable from start to finish than PL due to its diversity - something i feel PL is lacking :kickass:

I think systematic chaos is a good album but it will never be like Images and words or Train Of Thought. I was expecting a little more, but I still like it a lot!!

I haven't listened to much DT, but what I have heard I didn't really care for. Anyone have any recommendations for good DT songs to start with?

Systematic Chaos haven't made any big impression for me. Have to listen it some more. But atm it's not any better than octavarium. Just too long and slow songs, so you easily lose interests.

Agreed, IAW is their best!!! I've tried but cant really get into any other dream theater albums apart from track 2 and 3 from Metropolis... those are some funky tracks.

I'm loving systematic chaos atm - Ministry of lost souls and in the presence of enemies pt 1 are up there IMO with anything DT have ever written - great album. I find it more listenable from start to finish than PL due to its diversity - something i feel PL is lacking :kickass:

Absolutely...NOW...this thread can be locked...the truth has been spoken.

It's funny to see those that are wanting a rehash of I&W or Awake have missed the boat. DT have moved on...you were left at the dock. Even Kevin Moore, who was the big contributor on those, quit because he no longer liked the material he was writing.

EyeballKid loves FII... he thinks it has more emotion than all of their other albums combined, and he also believes their songwriting was at its best here.

It's not that I think FII is the songwriting peak of Dream Theater, it's that I think the actual true feeling in the music on FII is very strong. As someone who is truly NOT a Dream Theater fan (and rarely a fan of TEH PROGZ0RZ!!!1), I like FII because it is more blues-oriented, because it is more simplistic. I realize it is the sacrificial lamb brought to any DT Dinner Party, but I'm pretty sure that's why I love it. Prog wankery is akin to screeching nails on a chalkboard to me, and this album has the least of it.

Repentance is the worst of these songs so far. It really drags on. It has to be the most boring song they've done.

Agreed. And agreed.

I haven't listened to much DT, but what I have heard I didn't really care for. Anyone have any recommendations for good DT songs to start with?

It depends on your musical tastes. If you like straight-forward hard rock/metal, well then, I defy the lovers of Dream Theater and say: pick up Falling Into Infinity. However, if you enjoy dabbling in prog, Images and Words is definitely the way to go. If you like overly heavy, bombastic prog, it's Train of Thought you're looking for.

Most people are going to say Images and Words, however, so go ahead and pick that one up to avoid being attacked by whining DT fanboy blowhards.

It's funny to see those that are wanting a rehash of I&W or Awake have missed the boat. DT have moved on...you were left at the dock. Even Kevin Moore, who was the big contributor on those, quit because he no longer liked the material he was writing.

Oh no, no. A rehash I want not. My biggest reason for finding fault in Dream Theater is that their albums feel passionless to me. Granted, they never were ones for gigantic, emotive pieces, but everything pre-SDOIT seemed to have a certain degree of passion in the music. I simply want the band to find their passion for making music again, instead of playing prog for the sake of prog.

And if they can't find themselves again, well, I'm totally alright to be chilling on the dock with Kevin Moore. I'm pretty sure we'll see some life-rafts heading our way soon.

Hey, each to thier own, i personally love Dream Thaeter and i think Systematic Chaos is Damn good, i do agree about octavarium though, i only listen to the anwser lies with in and octavarium off of it these days
My top 3 dt albums are
Awake
Scenes From A Memory
6degrees, imo A change of seasons is the greatest song ever wrote, i love it so much.

Prog wankery is akin to screeching nails on a chalkboard to me, and this album has the least of it.

My biggest reason for finding fault in Dream Theater is that their albums feel passionless to me. Granted, they never were ones for gigantic, emotive pieces, but everything pre-SDOIT seemed to have a certain degree of passion in the music. I simply want the band to find their passion for making music again, instead of playing prog for the sake of prog.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Hey, each to thier own, i personally love Dream Thaeter and i think Systematic Chaos is Damn good, i do agree about octavarium though, i only listen to the anwser lies with in and octavarium off of it these days
My top 3 dt albums are
Awake
Scenes From A Memory
6degrees, imo A change of seasons is the greatest song ever wrote, i love it so much.

Ahh...another purveyor of good taste. :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.