THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on your musical tastes. If you like straight-forward hard rock/metal, well then, I defy the lovers of Dream Theater and say: pick up Falling Into Infinity. However, if you enjoy dabbling in prog, Images and Words is definitely the way to go. If you like overly heavy, bombastic prog, it's Train of Thought you're looking for.

Most people are going to say Images and Words, however, so go ahead and pick that one up to avoid being attacked by whining DT fanboy blowhards.

I listen mostly to Melodeath/techdeath, but I like some power/prog metal, like Hammerfall, Symphony X, and Dark Moor. But yeah, I listened to some of Train of Thought, Images and Words, and Systematic chaos. I just don't like DT.

Not really a Dream Theater fan but I do like/own a couple of their albums, them being Images & words, Awake & Scenes from a memory.
If James LAbrie wasnt such a poor singer and Portnoy was a bit more original with his drumming, I would probably like them alot more.

Still doesn't change the fact I&W is/was one of their greatest works. :p

... to think I found it in a CD stores bargain bin! :D

haha, I found my copy of that, and Scenes From A Memory, Awake for $10 each... :cool:

FII has a couple of my favourite songs (Trial Of Tears, Hells Kitchen, Lines In The Sand) but the rest sucks... SC I really enjoy, and overall is my favourite since Scenes... Though I agree, IAW, Awake and ACOS was definately their prime...

Something significant I left out of my previous rant is that they stopped working with an outside producer after FII. That's not to be ignored in discussing the direction their music has followed. I guess part of why I am disappointed by it is that it leaves little doubt that their current sound really is exactly what they want it to be.

I don't want to be too harsh, though, because at the end of the day I don't regret having bought Systematic Chaos (although maybe I shouldn't have bought the special edition), and DT is still one of my favorite bands. I like to think that because I do like the band, I'm in a position to critique them more validly than someone who just wants to say they suck or that some other band is better.

Or maybe the reason some people hate them is because they were able to critique their music better. Just throwing that out there...

Something significant I left out of my previous rant is that they stopped working with an outside producer after FII. That's not to be ignored in discussing the direction their music has followed. I guess part of why I am disappointed by it is that it leaves little doubt that their current sound really is exactly what they want it to be.

I don't want to be too harsh, though, because at the end of the day I don't regret having bought Systematic Chaos (although maybe I shouldn't have bought the special edition), and DT is still one of my favorite bands. I like to think that because I do like the band, I'm in a position to critique them more validly than someone who just wants to say they suck or that some other band is better.

I agree entirely with this statement...

90's DT = Prog. metal defined.
00's DT = Complete bullshit defined.

Seriously. They've gone downhill since SFaM (Which was AMAZING). Every album since then has either got an indecent amount of over-shredding or poor songwriting. No thanks. Flame at will.

90's DT = Prog. metal defined.
00's DT = Complete bullshit defined.

Seriously. They've gone downhill since SFaM (Which was AMAZING). Every album since then has either got an indecent amount of over-shredding or poor songwriting. No thanks. Flame at will.
I flame you not. Prog in the 00s has gone to crap and DT are partly responsible.

Prog in the 00s has gone to crap and DT are partly responsible.

As much as I like some of their stuff (a few 00's albums included), I think Dream Theater are far more than "partly" responsible. They are probably the most popular prog metal band out there (the "Metallica" of prog metal, if you will).

While I do think their last two albums had some decent songs, all they seem to do nowadays is copy other bands. You can even see it on their song charts in the studio (Muse section, U2 section, Tool section, etc.)

:lol: It's all too true. And then about 100 more bands copy them.

I'm going to read a book now. That's about 1 hydrogen bomb worth more exciting than listening to DT these days, or any of the other bands that sound the same.

I just bought SC the other week, so I went back to the same store yesterday and they're now selling the special edition for only $5 more :mad:

Is the documentary on the dvd any good?

Is the documentary on the dvd any good?

Without having even seen the DVD, I'm fairly positive that it contains the following:

- An introduction by Mike Portnoy
- James LaBrie entering the studio in sunglasses
- Some shots of Portnoy setting up his drums
- Petrucci playing a solo that could melt the sun
- Some shots of Portnoy playing drums
- A shot of the sun melting
- Portnoy drumming
- Petrucci and Portnoy sitting in a room fully of Muse, U2, Metallica, Megadeth, and Tool albums, taking notes.
- Portnoy rearranging his drumkit
- Myung about to speak
- Portnoy hitting a cymbal
- LaBrie coughing in the vocal booth
- Portnoy playing a ridiculous drum solo, on only his wood blocks
- A 2 second shot of Ruddess
- Portnoy doing a drum roll
- Petrucci scanning a page of Joe Satriani's "The Extremist" tab book through a copy machine
- Portnoy playing to a click track and then stopping to tell the sound engineer that the click track is "off"
- Petrucci and Portnoy gleaming maniacally as they polish their cauldron of cash

If you feel this is worth your $5, by all means, go forth and repurchase! :loco:

Status
Not open for further replies.