THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never even listened to dream theater until I went to the first Gigantour for SX and Megadeth...after I saw DT's performance, I was completely blown away and vowed to get every album they've made....the only one I don't have right now is the 20th anniversary cd

and over the last few albums it seems like the words have been a little rushed. What does everyone else feel?
All in all, I agree. SDOIT had some really strong sets of lyrics (mostly "Blind Faith" and "Misunderstood"), but TOT and 8va were rather trite for the most part.
However, lyrics have never been one of Dream Theater's stronger sides in my opinion. Moore's and Myung's (in the early days) were reliably good, and Petrucci does have his sleights of mind every now and then, but Portnoy's lyrics have always felt rather blunt to me. Too bad he writes about half of their lyrics these days.

Kevin Moore's lyrics were friggin' brilliant. 'Nuff said.

As far as JLB's beard goes, it doesn't suit him very well. But Rudess is looking badass there.

All in all, I agree. SDOIT had some really strong sets of lyrics (mostly "Blind Faith" and "Misunderstood"), but TOT and 8va were rather trite for the most part.
However, lyrics have never been one of Dream Theater's stronger sides in my opinion. Moore's and Myung's (in the early days) were reliably good, and Petrucci does have his sleights of mind every now and then, but Portnoy's lyrics have always felt rather blunt to me. Too bad he writes about half of their lyrics these days.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one...

I love portnoy so much...but I have to agree with you that his lyrics are rather blunt at times. I've heard worse of course...but I miss the old days where there was more diversity in the lyrics...

I dunno...I'm just ranting. heh.

I do think the lyrics have declined a little, Octavarium wasn't all that great at all lyrics wise, though I don't think ToT was too bad. Endless Sacrifice amd In The Name Of God (both be JP incidently) had excellent lyrics... I do wish JM started writing lyrics again, I really love Learning To Live, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears, Fatal Tragedy... All great thought provoking lyrics...

And I love James's beard, and they're all looking very metal... :headbang:
:lol: JM should definately grow an awesome beard, that would look killer...

From what I've read, it depends. Those atheists who are open to seeking God do so--others select a "higher power" to be accountable to that is of a more earthly nature.

Nah most of us think "I fucked up, so I can unfuck myself up and get out of this of my own free will, without invoking a non-existent deity" :)

Anywayz, I've been a big DT fan for a few years, and like others, it has led me onto the path of all things progful and powerful, for which I am grateful. I like James LaBrie too, there are enough shriekers, growlers and howlers out there and I wouldn't want one of them in DT - I like Labrie's voice because it's instantly recognisable and melodic and suits the music IMO. We've all got our opinions on what may or may not be better or worse as we've all got differing tastes. I just wouldn't want to hear another singer with DT, because like someone said earlier, it just wouldn't be DT for me. I actually think Labrie has improved, especially his live performances. We gotta bear in mind that for a rock singer he's getting on a bit and you can't expect him to scream like a 20 year old. Some may call it progress, some may not - 'tis all subjective...

Nah most of us think "I fucked up, so I can unfuck myself up and get out of this of my own free will, without invoking a non-existent deity" :)

I think that I may not have explained very well what it is an atheist tends to do if they follow the AA method. In some cases, I have heard that people select a person they know to be accountable to.

If nothing else, they could change their genre to "(Facial) Hair Metal" then... now that would be crackin'.

:kickass:

Also, I don't really mind about the lyrics, so long as the music is awesome enough, I don't really take heaps of notice of the lyrics... Though thought provoking, well written lyrics are definately a bonus and push the song from a great song to a brilliant song... If JM contributes again to the lyric writing that will go a long way towards their improvement... And JP, his lyrics are good, less of MP would be nice though IMO...

I'm sorry to say this, but SOME of MP's lyrics border on teenage-angst. I'm not going to say they're all bad, as I do like what he's trying to do with the AA saga, and I've seen some others here and there that I've liked. But dang, does the man ever vent a lot of spleen. Yes, I know metal is supposed to be aggressive, but there IS a such thing as aggressively going after or supporting good things, too...

...which is exactly what I see Petrucci do and why his work tends to score high with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.