THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to imagine anyone wasting any money on Dream Theater, let alone three hundred bucks.

You are my new best friend.

By the way, i'm not gonna say matt doesn't have valid points, because he certainly does. I still think it's bullshit and taking advantage of fans though, which boils down completely to opinion and nothing will change my mind on that.

A concert has the potential to be the most profitable use of time for a band that already has its album out, so I have no complaints about bands using them to get all the money they can. Now when ticketbastard, the venue, and the record label pocket half the money, THEN I get skeptical of the whole thing.

great analogy.

know why?

because music isn't a fucking sport!

The venue is still selling tickets to an entertainment event that people want to see, whether its a concert, a sporting event, stand up comedy, magic show, a ballet, opera, vaudeville, etc.

You could argue why do they even charge to see a sports match when I can go down to the park and watch a bunch of amateurs play a pickup game?

A concert has the potential to be the most profitable use of time for a band that already has its album out, so I have no complaints about bands using them to get all the money they can. Now when ticketbastard, the venue, and the record label pocket half the money, THEN I get skeptical of the whole thing.
we call this attitude hypocrisy.

Matt: maybe you go to be entertained, but for me music is more than mere entertainment and shiny light shows.

ARE YOU ALL IN BITCHING MODE OR YOU JUST DON'T WANT TO READ THE Fing FLIPPIN TRUTH?! HUH?!

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=397307

READ, STOP, READ AGAIN AND AGAIN.
The band has nothing to do with the platinum tickets!

And you know what? Since you all are obviously LAZY, here it is:

The Premium seating concept is something that was suggested and created by DT management and is maintained by DT's merchandise company, NOT the band....It is very important to point out that the members of Dream Theater are *NOT* in anyway profitting from this promotion...The video and lights for this tour are a huge step up in the band's vision of their presentation and the fact is that this upgrade cost a great deal of $$$...Not a SINGLE penny of the premium seating money goes to the band, but rather it all is going back to the fans by delivering a much better show for their money. It should be noted as well that the band too, is making a huge sacrifice, in that they too need to buy seats for their friends, or have their friends buy the seats.....Dream Theater HAS NEVER been motivated by money and this case is no different...it is all about delivering the greatest DT Live experience possible to the fans.

And there is more there. SO GO AND READ AND STOP BITCHING AND MOAING.

So, are you some kind of a "purist"? 5 People on a stage and nothing more?
Guess what, people want to experience the music and there is more than just your ears.

If you've been to a DT concert before, you would know it is just great fun and joy not only to your ears, but yours eyes as well :) and I, for one, want more of this.

It doesn't make me appreciate the music any less.

Also, you are taking those two sentences out of context. Not fair. :)
Read again.

There is no context error here. As for "If you'd ever been to a DT concert before" I've probably been to more than you :lol:

I assure you, a plethora of lights is NOT what draws me to pay to see them live. It's the energy of great live music. Surely some lights are required to illuminate the stage. However, there is as with everything a point of saturation after which all else is excessive. This is on the other side of that line by a large clear margin.

Either way, it could still be worse. At least they're not charging like $2000 per ticket and putting on some ridiculous Rhapsody of Fire style broadway play acting out every song.

Great debate fellas! I think Matt wins though... Especially because he is actually in a position to earn money with his band and has to deal with all the management stuff (I'm guessing...) It's all well and good for us fans to sit back and critisize, but when you've got the opportunity to actually make a living from what u love, I'm sure the members will make every effort to keep it that way (ie. earn money). I don't agree with $300, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have what is highest in demand a little more expensive.

At G3, I could've paid almost $300 to meet one of Petrucci, Vai or Satch after the show, and had front row seats, but I couldn't afford that. Instead I brought A reserve (front section) seats for $110 and a T-shirt, and had just as awesome a time. My friend brought a General Admission ticket for $90, and still had a great time, he wasn't as close, but would've had a great view. People should just enjoy what they've got instead of always wanting more. Maybe DT could go bankrupt and nobody would be able to see any shows. :heh: I would be very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.