THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohh no.. no you didn't me Vaughan.. you didn't mean him.. please tell me you don't think that he's better than Vai, it's such an obvious answer that Vai is a much more versatile and talented player.

Now...I'll agree that since the video, Vai has earned a place in my book being versatile...but he's nowhere near as good as Vaughan in my book man.

Two completely different styles of playing; you really can't compare them but in my eyes, Vaughan is much better. A lot of people don't think Vaughan has much versatility, but go listen to Riviera Paradise and/or Little Wing. You will change your mind...I promise. Those were some of the songs he recorded right before he died.

Damn he was good.

Is this turning into a vs thread? Steve Vai is an amazing talent, just as SRV was an amazing talent. Trying to compare the two is like comparing a dung beetle to a tapeworm. Just MHFO, of course.....

Vai is my favorite guitarist hands down - an excellent showman too.

And for the life of me ill never understand why people dont like labries vocals - to me he makes dream theater

eww who in their right mind would willingly listen to Dream Theater. :ill:

Why post in a DT discussion thread if that's what you think about it? I'm actually starting to be somewhat offended by this band bashing. It's fair enough if you can back it up, but really guys.

He does have a very destinctive voice. I for one love it. But its not just his voice, His vocal lines are great too. Id say i prefer his style to russell's. Too often his voice and melodies remind me of that Seal song "kiss from a rose" :erk:

Vai is awesome, and he puts an amazing amount of feel into all his playing, as well as a huge amount of showmanship, and I love everything about his playing... :headbang:

I like this post

Vai is BY FAR the more innovative and inventive player. However Vaughn is definitely the more influential....or at least his influence is more widespread (though both have made a huge impact in the world of guitar playing. All that being said, trying to compare Vai and Vaughn is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen on this forum. Vai is a favorite of mine and Vaughn, while not making my top 5, is definitely my favorite blues player. He was the man.

I like this post

Vai is BY FAR the more innovative and inventive player. However Vaughn is definitely the more influential....or at least his influence is more widespread (though both have made a huge impact in the world of guitar playing. All that being said, trying to compare Vai and Vaughn is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen on this forum. Vai is a favorite of mine and Vaughn, while not making my top 5, is definitely my favorite blues player. He was the man.

Granted. :loco: Although if you get past Vaughan's radio shit, you can find some much better, deeper music that he has written; most of which happened right when he died as I said earlier.

...and just for the record; the reason I prefer Allen to LaBrie isn't just the style, which IMO is better in and of itself...but LaBrie's lyrics usually blow in my opinion. "I wish I weren't so fucked, feels like I'm stuck, lost in a sea of mediocrity" and "Well listen to me you ungrateful fool, here comes a dose of reality" don't strike me as inspiring lyrics lol...especially since he raps the second line I posted.

I dunno, many people might think otherwise...it's just my humble opinion among others.

...and just for the record; the reason I prefer Allen to LaBrie isn't just the style, which IMO is better in and of itself...but LaBrie's lyrics usually blow in my opinion. "I wish I weren't so fucked, feels like I'm stuck, lost in a sea of mediocrity" and "Well listen to me you ungrateful fool, here comes a dose of reality" don't strike me as inspiring lyrics lol...especially since he raps the second line I posted.

They aren’t Labires lyrics, they would be Petrucci and Portnoys work respectively :)

Actually, I do listen to Vaughn quite a bit and with the exception of alternate recordings or maybe some live stuff, I've heard just about his entire catalogue. When I said that Vai was the more inventive and innovative player....it wasn't to say that Vaughn was lacking in those areas....it was to say that Vai excels in both areas:)

Status
Not open for further replies.