The Official Good Television Thread

I think Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell are going to be great. You can't judge actors by the movies they're in. I've seen moments in movies where both guys pulled off really emotive drama.

I can easily see Vaughn getting deep into his character and surprising us just like McConaughey and Farrell being the rock, doing what Woody did.

I'm pretty optimistic about the two of them. Apparently the director of the first two episodes is Justin Lin, whose major claim to fame is directing some of the Fast & Furious movies...interesting

While True Detective was as much of a standard police procedural as any of the other cop drams on TV, what differentiated it was all that “Time is a flat circle” talk that everyone quotes. It walked the line between being grounded in a gritty reality and indulging in the supernatural that really set the show apart. Pizzolatto said that this season would be about “the secret occult history of the American transportation system” so we’re well on our way. The show also never offered any easy answers when it came to its more outré plot points and that’s what made it so much fun to debate and theorize about. Let’s hope that we get just the right amount of clarity for it to make sense, but not so much that it turns into the 19th season of Supernatural.

There was much noise made about True Detective’s lack of female characters and its treatment of the ones it had. Season two has long rumored to have a major female character (possibly played by the amazing Elizabeth Moss), so lets hope that she’s a fellow detective or someone with a little bit more empowerment than the nags and vicitms of season one. And since we’re talking about hiring women, maybe get one as that visionary director. Jane Campion had tremendous success with the Sundance show Top of the Lake, which was very similar to True Detective. Maybe we need someone like her to give this thing a more feminine spin.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/sep/23/true-detective-hbo-colin-farrell

Holy shit the push for female this and female that is so annoying. Yes we live in a male dominated society and that will be reflected especially in dark shows and movies. The groveling these people do is embarrassing and I find it inauthentic and condescending. Ya wanna know how to keep True Detective good? stop pushing for something so hard that you make it unnatural and transparent.

I disagree. I think that female leads offer the potential for exploring directions and dynamics unavailable to male leads. Michelle Monaghan's character from last season was good, but she was still beholden to this archaic tradition of the disloyal, misogynist male. I'd like to see a prominent female lead introduced into the role of detective.

I also don't see why the dominance of masculine hierarchy will gravitate toward "dark" narratives...

I disagree. I think that female leads offer the potential for exploring directions and dynamics unavailable to male leads. Michelle Monaghan's character from last season was good, but she was still beholden to this archaic tradition of the disloyal, misogynist male. I'd like to see a prominent female lead introduced into the role of detective.

I also don't see why the dominance of masculine hierarchy will gravitate toward "dark" narratives...

I agree but I'd like to see them do it without influence. If it's forced it could be bad.

I think dark narratives are better carried out by males because well in reality we are the primary source of "evil" and even the good guys have a sense of bad nature to them - It's hard for a female to pull this off

Name a strong female lead (a badass) in a movie that is believable? like Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Aliens. Who to me is not only an exception but truly stands alone.

I agree but I'd like to see them do it without influence. If it's forced it could be bad.

The "forcing" here is different in kind. There are female leads entirely capable of carrying the performances necessary for this show. The impediment comes from cultural ideology, not the inability of women to act.

I think dark narratives are better carried out by males because well in reality we are the primary source of "evil" and even the good guys have a sense of bad nature to them - It's hard for a female to pull this off.

This is absurd. I'm sorry, but what the hell do you mean? Women are culturally considered the source of evil (original sin, and all); and besides, if men are the "true" source of evil in the world (whatever this means) then why shouldn't women be allowed to occupy the role of countering that evil? I understand nothing about what you just said.

It is part of our cultural misguidance that we believe female leads are only appropriate for romantic comedies, or for television shows titled Girls. Of course, they can't be detectives because they can't possibly understand cultural conceptions of evil...

Name a strong female lead (a badass) in a movie that is believable? like Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Aliens. Who to me is not only an exception but truly stands alone.

Dude, don't make me say it.

Jessica Chastain - Take Shelter
Amy Seimetz - Upstream Color
Brit Marling and Ellen Page - The East
Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener
Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black

These are off the top of my head...

An inability to see female actors as "badass" is less of an indicator of what true "badass-ness" is and more of an indicator that badass-ness can only be a masculine quality.

The "forcing" here is different in kind. There are female leads entirely capable of carrying the performances necessary for this show. The impediment comes from cultural ideology, not the inability of women to act.

I think it's both. I'm not saying Women can't act, that's silly, I just don't think it's natural to put a female in a role that was probably written for a male to satisfy some plastic sense of equality.

This is absurd. I'm sorry, but what the hell do you mean? Women are culturally considered the source of evil (original sin, and all); and besides, if men are the "true" source of evil in the world (whatever this means) then why shouldn't women be allowed to occupy the role of countering that evil? I understand nothing about what you just said.

Oh come one, you know what I mean. The majority of evil done in the world is by men. I'm not completely opposed to a woman countering that evil but I want to see it done well. And women in strong lead roles usually do not deliver.(I'm talking about badasses with guns, man.)

It is part of our cultural misguidance that we believe female leads are only appropriate for romantic comedies, or for television shows titled Girls. Of course, they can't be detectives because they can't possibly understand cultural conceptions of evil...

Yes, there are exceptions but the majority fit the show titled Girls, sorry man.

Walk into a Precinct and tell me how many attractive females (on the same level of actresses) you see working there ... yea it's not reality.

Dude, don't make me say it.

Jessica Chastain - Take Shelter
Amy Seimetz - Upstream Color
Brit Marling and Ellen Page - The East
Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener
Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black

These are off the top of my head...

An inability to see female actors as "badass" is less of an indicator of what true "badass-ness" is and more of an indicator that badass-ness can only be a masculine quality.

Oh stop it. None of those characters compare to the badass that is Ripley. Bitch carried a M41A Pulse Rifle and fought Aliens my nigga haha and it was believable.

Yes, I see your points, and I knew where you were going from the beginning. You are one persuasive motherfucker but I just disagree with you. Yes, blame culture, ideology etc I get it. I just don't want to see something good be destroyed by contemporary trends in "equality"

They all compare to Ripley; in fact, all of them are better actors than Sigourney Weaver. Your definition of what is "badass" is a masculine definition.

The majority of them don't necessarily fit into shows like Girls; but lots of people believe they do because that's what popular performances have often been in accordance with. The problem isn't one of natural behavior, it's one of our cultural perception of women. You're contributing to this image by not even entertaining the notion that women can play strong female leads beyond wielding a machine gun.

I don't get this modern urge to be provocative by simply accepting the status quo. Your behavior, right now, at this very moment, is contributing to the dearth of strong female leads that you're complaining about. And furthermore, you're not even right about that dearth. There are plenty of strong female actors, but audiences don't want to see that. Bitches should shoot machine guns, otherwise they're just "girls." It's fucking stupid.

EDIT: and furthermore, if there's a sphere of culture where this perception can be challenged without enacting controversial legislative procedures, it's in the portrayal of women in cinema! Why are we resisting this? It's because of a (as you say) masculine ideology that doesn't perceive women as "strong" in the first place. So they are condemned to repeat roles prescribed by romance and comedy.

But dude, that's the fucking show were talking about! We're talking about a show where people wield guns!!!!!

Imagine Michelle Monaghan in McConaughey's place in the Raiding the Housing Projects Scene. It's just silly. Now fuckin' Sigourney pulls that shit off because she is the exception.

I'm not saying Women have to stick to romance and comedy, YOU ARE! I'm talking about this particular type of role.

I agree Women can be strong in so many different ways, shit better ways, but there's a point where it just goes too far and it's usually the masculine role.

Ha, how am I saying that women have to stick to romance and comedy? You already said that the "majority" of them are best suited to Girls-type roles. I was merely commenting on that view.

I can imagine Jessica Chastain, or someone similar, kicking ass like McConaughey. You are the one saying that is unimaginable; and it's unimaginable to you because of cultural conditioning, not because women are incapable of kicking ass. Furthermore, True Detective is interesting for its conceptual rigor, not its "gun-wielding." The show would not lose anything if it were to focus more on its ideas.

We should continue this elsewhere though.

cool

female detectives stink :D

Jessica Chastain lol a 5'4 100 pound shrimp throwing around neo nazis, right. Well maybe if the nazis were female ... ;)

but I did like (believe) her role in zero dark thirty. We don't disagree as much as you think. ok, I'll shut up now.

All this banter about True Detective is lame, I hope he doesn't adhere to this bullshit outside pressure to try and make this show more women friendly or something. I still don't get how Marty's wife in the show was some weak women, personally thought she was pretty strong and made some decisive choices.

But who knows. I also read this chick's take on True Detective and it made me cry, because she stinks. Don't watch the shows she recommends either, pretty average compared to True Detective. Especially that Top of the Lake show.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/03/03/cool-story-bro

Anyone else watching The Affair? The A/B format where each hour is 30 minutes of each side is an intriguing premise. It's really not as sexy as it should be though. It's just not readily apparent why these two people have taken to each other. Maybe it should have been a slower burn, but I guess the wheels of the plot couldn't wait six weeks or so. The mystery is sort of compelling, but it seems unlikely anyone's spouse was killed, if they want this show to run more than one season. It also took until this week to get a solid nude scene with the leading lady, when McNulty's ass was in the first episode.

Best case would be something more like that movie Unfaithful. That was great.

Appreciate the heads up on The Affair, I forgot all about it. Binge watched it yesterday and am all caught up. The storytelling is nice but felt like EP4 was incredibly too-drama-y and glad that seems to be done with EP5.

It is funny that McNulty is going against Rawls again. And I was kinda worried about this being Showtime's answer to True Detective, and it kinda is, only in story telling but definitely not philosophy.