The Official Good Television Thread

I discovered Review recently.

The premise is that the main dude has people write in to him asking what real life things (e.g. road rage, going into space, eating a fuck load of pancakes) are like, and then he goes off to review them. It's brilliant. Need season two.

This, Louie, and Nathan for You are far and away the funniest things on TV right now. I was so happy to hear that it was renewed for a second season.

Edit: I never finished Broadchurch for some strange reason, as it was really good. Check out Top of the Lake for another recent whodunit sort of show with some of the latent strangeness that True Detective had.

I thought the latest episode of The Leftovers was real good. I'm sold.

I finally caught up with the rest of the episodes, but I just don't get where the show is going now. The things Patti says in the episode were all pretty clear to me so it didn't really make any more sense there, the progression of the Wayne story is still weirdly out of place and not sure where that's going anymore.

I just don't think I see how this can sprawl out for many seasons. I don't think we will ever know(or think its important) of what happened to the people who left, it's definitely not the point of the show but rather just an event to spread this family idea behind the show. It seems silly thought that the GR was created to help people move on from their grief when there is heartbreak/family loss every day and now there's suddenly a following of people wanting to be emotionless?

The Simpsons marathon has been really fucking good television up to this point. Of course, that comes to an end overnight. Turning on the tv at any point over the past three days has resulted in greatness. Even the somewhat more mediocre episodes are full of memorable lines.

Lost is worth talking about and looking at closely, but not that finale. The finale was, conceptually, a cop out.

The first few seasons introduced a novel form of television storytelling, and there was a multicultural element to it that, in my opinion, says something about the show's modernism.

I haven't seen the most recent Leftovers, but yes: that show is killing it.

So I wasn't sold on the first episode of the new Doctor Who series, but this week's episode definitely did it for me. Capaldi's doing fantastic, and the balance of classic and modern visualization was on point.

I'm glad that Clara finally has to be clever now instead of just indescribably charming. She was not selling that bit very well.

So obviously the new Trailer Park Boys is amazing. But has anyone else seen Bojack Horseman? I'd never heard of it before I randomly saw it on Netflix but it's really good. Anyone who likes Arrested Development should give it a shot.

I feel like i'm missing something with the Leftovers. I don't mind watching it, but that finale really did nothing as a season closer, or am I crazy? Finding out what the guilty were doing was interesting and not sure I understand their motives of their plan, but other than that seems rather empty.

From what i've read too, the entire book was covered in this first season and is supposed to be all made up from here on out...I get the overwhelming sadness/loss/despair part of it, but seriously just don't see where this show is going at all

There are spoilers below.

I just really appreciated The Leftovers for its execution. I mean, as far as acting, directing, and score goes, that show fucking killed it, in my opinion. The camera shot of Wayne when he died just drove into my brain and stuck there like a nail. Fucking horrifying.

The use of the wax doubles was horrifying not for what it recalled, since as viewers we can only sympathize with the characters (none of us have had our loved ones literally disappear into thin air, so we can't empathize), but because of the uncanny quality of their appearance. I won't begin to imagine how the Guilty Remnant managed to sneak quietly into everyone's homes and successfully plant these doppelgangers (that would ruin the fun), but the placement of this episode was perfect because it immediately followed the episode in which we get to witness several perspectives of the original event. We were thus all familiar with the positions in which many of these doppelgangers would appear, and who they were meant to represent.

The ironic quality of the final episode was that it backfired. The Guilty Remnant didn't succeed in making people remember; or rather, it only forced people to remember momentarily. By the close of the episode, I think we're meant to realize that people are, in fact, able to move on even more easily. And perhaps, in fact, that was actually the secret motive of the Remnant all along...

The replacement of the doppelgangers in the finale recalls the psychoanalytic notion of trauma: an inability to reconcile the unexpectedness of a particularly traumatic event which thus leaves an unsuturable wound in the subject. These subjects then suffer from various psychic symptoms, such as nightmares or neurotic behavior, because their bodies and minds are trying to "heal" the traumatic wound, so to speak. The replacement of the doppelgangers may actually have served as a kind of medicinal healing to the trauma of the original event. People may not have been expecting it, but they had a referent for it; it fit into a kind of socio-symbolic framework, they understand the act even if they didn't understand the original vanishing. I don't mean that they understand why the Remnant did it, but merely that the appearance of the dummies fits a pattern. Imagine if the original event had never happened - in that case, waking up to find false dummies in your kitchen would be a traumatic experience in its own right. In the case of the show, however, it may have still been traumatic, but it makes a certain kind of sense - those doppelgangers fill a space, if only briefly, that needs to be filled.

Their presence means something, whereas the original disappearance doesn't mean anything.

The shot of him in the bathroom? Really?

I just sort of assumed the GR got the incredible details from that company who sells those replicas, but who knows. It's been what, 3years or something since the original event? Doubt the research was that hard and apparently no one in that town of NY has to work to buy those houses or maintain them, so some nice free labor there in that aspect.

Don't you think it's too early to tell if its a failure or not? Liv Tyler's character seemed pretty happy and it seemed to have met her expectations of what occurred. Even the mother as her daughter gets into the home seems to realize what is going to happen. To me all these actions are just futile, but maybe you will proven right in the following season. I still don't get the now ghost Patti and why she killed herself in the end. Not entirely sure what that does for the show's plot.

Well yeah, the purpose of the GR is to make these people feel the loss again right? I think that's what has been said by them in previous episodes at least. I think you are leaping to a lot of conclusions based on the evidence shown, but who knows. This plot seriously isn't going anywhere without Wayne's love child(s).

The shot of him in the bathroom? Really?

The shot of him in the bathroom. Really. With his single eye staring around the corner. It was incredible. You'd have to be forcefully resistant to feel nothing from that shot.

I just sort of assumed the GR got the incredible details from that company who sells those replicas, but who knows. It's been what, 3years or something since the original event? Doubt the research was that hard and apparently no one in that town of NY has to work to buy those houses or maintain them, so some nice free labor there in that aspect.

No, they got the details from all the family photos and police files they'd stolen. Remember the big binder? That's how they knew where to place the bodies.

The Remnant bought those houses. Their source of income isn't specified, I don't think.

Don't you think it's too early to tell if its a failure or not? Liv Tyler's character seemed pretty happy and it seemed to have met her expectations of what occurred. Even the mother as her daughter gets into the home seems to realize what is going to happen. To me all these actions are just futile, but maybe you will proven right in the following season. I still don't get the now ghost Patti and why she killed herself in the end. Not entirely sure what that does for the show's plot.

Liv Tyler's character is a hack and a phony. She doesn't abide by the "rules" the Remnant, she's a wild card and she flies by the seat of her pants, letting her emotions get the best of her. We can't gauge our assessment of the event based on her reaction. In my opinion, she's a red herring. The true prophet was Patti, and if Kevin truly does reach some kind of understanding by the end, I think it's a safe hypothesis that the Remnant was on a healing mission. I'm not saying it definitively; I'm saying it's possible. The evidence is there, the proof is not.

Well yeah, the purpose of the GR is to make these people feel the loss again right? I think that's what has been said by them in previous episodes at least. I think you are leaping to a lot of conclusions based on the evidence shown, but who knows. This plot seriously isn't going anywhere without Wayne's love child(s).

It's all about reading the evidence that's there, and there's a lot of it. I don't care about the future of the show - I'm talking about what we see from the show until this point. At its conclusion, Kevin, his daughter, his wife, and Nora all experience a kind of cathartic healing. This is the conclusion we're left with. We can talk about what happens next when we see what happens next.

No, they got the details from all the family photos and police files they'd stolen. Remember the big binder? That's how they knew where to place the bodies.

Well it doesn't really matter regardless, plenty of time and labor to get it done. Well yeah their income isn't specified probably because it wouldn't make sense to house all those people and buy really nice houses without an income
Liv Tyler's character is a hack and a phony. She doesn't abide by the "rules" the Remnant, she's a wild card and she flies by the seat of her pants, letting her emotions get the best of her. We can't gauge our assessment of the event based on her reaction. In my opinion, she's a red herring. The true prophet was Patti, and if Kevin truly does reach some kind of understanding by the end, I think it's a safe hypothesis that the Remnant was on a healing mission. I'm not saying it definitively; I'm saying it's possible. The evidence is there, the proof is not.
What do you make of the cabin scene then? And that now he's going to be haunted by her like his father is by her(whoever?)

It's all about reading the evidence that's there, and there's a lot of it. I don't care about the future of the show - I'm talking about what we see from the show until this point. At its conclusion, Kevin, his daughter, his wife, and Nora all experience a kind of cathartic healing. This is the conclusion we're left with. We can talk about what happens next when we see what happens next.

Out of that list I would say only Nora is the only one to experience any healing. There is the cliffhanger with Kevin and the kid, but who knows. The daughter's storyline seems just angsty teen who misses her mom, and not sure anything is done there. The son? Well his storyline is insane and shows nothing and probably won't, as it seems he dumped the kid. What about the dogs? And that guy who is probably a ghost? I think there's less to the GR than you think, but without understanding Patti or whoever the true leader is we will never know.

I mean 10 episodes to set up sad atmosphere and then one episode to show partial healing and you're happy? There's definitely more being portrayed into the show, I think