The Official Good Television Thread

How do you mean this?

That it's very skeptical of (or at least interrogative toward) family as an institution, family in its ideal, romanticized form.

The Leftovers insists very often on the subversion of the family structure and that a dark antagonism lurks at the core of family. An overarching theme has been the desire for family versus the destructive drive against family - family as an illusion.

The Guilty Remnant is there to remind everyone else that "family" never existed in the first place. It was something we created as a culture and a species.

that they were putting up with each other because society expected them to?

That's part of it. Slavoj Žižek says that the most honest thing someone can say to their significant other (or any loved one) before dying is "Well, this whole thing has been a sham."

That it's very skeptical of (or at least interrogative toward) family as an institution, family in its ideal, romanticized form.

The Leftovers insists very often on the subversion of the family structure and that a dark antagonism lurks at the core of family. An overarching theme has been the desire for family versus the destructive drive against family - family as an illusion.

I like this explanation. It might explain the symbolism in what's going on with the dogs too. Although it only explains family in a social and cultural context. I don't know if you can call family an illusion in a biological sense, unless of course we're talking about Materialism and all that jive.

The Guilty Remnant is there to remind everyone else that "family" never existed in the first place. It was something we created as a culture and a species.

and I guess them creating their own sort of family reinforces the idea huh.

That's part of it. Slavoj Žižek says that the most honest thing someone can say to their significant other (or any loved one) before dying is "Well, this whole thing has been a sham."

Hm a sham in what sense? are we looking at it the same way as the Guilty Remnant? or is he trying to say something more significant?

Watched Hardknocks last night. The most interesting thing about that show is how you get reminded how damn young these guys are. It's like listening to 15 year olds, it's strange. Listening to rookie Ra'Shede Hageman talk to coach Brian Cox you'd think he was talking to his father. Makes ya go 'ok before I criticize this guy I have to remember he's still going through significant human development'

I like this explanation. It might explain the symbolism in what's going on with the dogs too. Although it only explains family in a social and cultural context. I don't know if you can call family an illusion in a biological sense, unless of course we're talking about Materialism and all that jive.

There's no reason genetically to demarcate the family as we do. Biologically there are similarities, but the institution of family is conditioned more by history than by biology.

The gradual feralization of the dogs definitely shares a connection with the no-family theme.

Hm a sham in what sense? are we looking at it the same way as the Guilty Remnant? or is he trying to say something more significant?

I think he's mostly just trying to be provocative. But I think it shares a certain perspective with the Guilty Remnant.

If I had to compare them, I would say that Žižek sees quite a bit of humor in the situation. The Guilty Remnant, on the other hand, I relate to the figure of the wife in Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Absolute desolation and hopelessness; I am no one's wife, because there's no such thing as family.

I'm trying to watch stuff on TV that do not have women at all. If anyone could help me out.

I discovered Review recently.

The premise is that the main dude has people write in to him asking what real life things (e.g. road rage, going into space, eating a fuck load of pancakes) are like, and then he goes off to review them. It's brilliant. Need season two.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw10nD3_aK4][Smash off[/ame]

Anyone watching The Leftovers?

It's weird, I just watched 6 episodes over the last week and I still don't know if I like it. I'm still not sure what kind of show it wants to be ...

I only really watch it for the reason I watch most things (insomnia), but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people are making out. Although I like some artsy, plotless shit anyway. The stoning was pretty 'cool' (in that it was a lot more realistic than graphic violence often is).

I liked it. The operation scenes were pretty brutal. Clive Owen was fantastic. My only gripe is I'm not sure what the trajectory of the show is going to be

I'm watching a British drama called Broadchurch at the moment, it's pretty well done whodunnit style fare starring the last Doctor Who guy and Sophie from Peep Show.

Would never have guessed Olivia Colman would go on to become such a respected actress when Peep Show first started.

She was fantastic in Tyrannosaur, and hearing her say 'cunt' in anger in Run was really lolwut???

I thought the latest episode of The Leftovers was real good. I'm sold.

Oh and Ein, this is completelty off subject and random, but what do you think happened at the end of LOST? :)

Would never have guessed Olivia Colman would go on to become such a respected actress when Peep Show first started.

Me neither. She does well though, Broadchurch was extremely well acted, albeit with some pretty flimsy writing.

Watching Happy Valley now, doesn't look too bad either.