The Official Good Television Thread

you guys should all see JAM if you haven't. 'ambient comedy' from the mind of chris morris (BRASS EYE, FOUR LIONS etc), it's lynchian as fuck and black as tar.

edit: I still need to watch The Wire, but as far as HBO shows go for me it's Deadwood > Game of Thrones > Boardwalk Empire = Rome > Sopranos.

I'd rank 'em something like;
The Sopranos > The Wire > True Detective > Game of Thrones > Rome > Oz > Boardwalk Empire. Currently watching 6FU but I don't know where it'll place yet.

I do like Boardwalk but I think it's by far the most personality-less of their big period dramas.

Need to rewatch Deadwood. At this point I don't remember much besides Swearengen being a boss, Molly Parker being easy on the eyes, that gruesome fight in S3 and Steve the Drunk. EDIT: And the Chinese guy.

I'm legitimately surprised I haven't heard of Jam, let alone Chris Morris, given how much I love The Thick of It. I just watched the first episode, and this is pretty fantastic stuff.

I watched season 1 of the Wire and it really didn't do anything for me. It's one of those shows I feel like I'm supposed to like but I cant get into it. What are the specific things you guys like about it?

The process. The method and attention to detail

My dad's a retired federal agent. He said the first season of The Wire is the closest any television show has come to accurately portraying what detectives do and what (frequently) tends to happen. He doesn't care so much about the subsequent seasons, but he said the first season is absolute gold.

Tons of characters with some level of depth and realism, subplots that engage you, characters you get attached to, gritty dialogue, great sets and locations, Bubbles.

Did I mention Bubbles? Bubbles.

ugh the bubbles speech at the end is overwhelming. actually the cumulative effect of the wire is overwhelming in general. i think it's more of a 'masterpiece' than just any cinema released this century tbh. has incredible intellectual and emotional scope and complexity, and virtually never puts a foot wrong (it's occasionally a little on the nose in making a point, perhaps, if i was gonna nitpick).

What about Treme? Created by the same guy as Wire, few actors from Wire (Bunk, Lester). I've only seen the pilot and liked it, is it any good?

Also, just finished Hustle. If you like The Sting, Ocean's Twelve (mainly), or from TV Leverage, you'll love it. Sure, it has its problems and plot holes, but it doesn't take itself seriously so it doesn't matter that much.

What about Treme? Created by the same guy as Wire, few actors from Wire (Bunk, Lester). I've only seen the pilot and liked it, is it any good?

Also, just finished Hustle. If you like The Sting, Ocean's Twelve (mainly), or from TV Leverage, you'll love it. Sure, it has its problems and plot holes, but it doesn't take itself seriously so it doesn't matter that much.

I think it's awesome. Same similar structural critique that was present in The Wire that applies to New Orleans. The music is outstanding as well.

I've yet to get into any of the big budget american tv series. I didn't like the episodes of Breaking Bad that I saw.

lol, you're probably gonna end up giving me some shit for it.

edit: i'm a sucker for good cinematography, so that show had me instantly hooked. Some of the acting is pretty dodgy(his co-worker and her boyfriend), but overall i thought it was a very well executed show.