The Official Good Television Thread

No, at first I just felt like the writers went out of their way to make the show gritty and wound up overdoing it. I'm in the middle of season 3 though and it's definitely gotten better.

I never got that "trying too hard" vibe from it at all.

As far as character development, I've been watching Joss Whedon's various shows for the last couple months so the writers of the wire are pretty much fucked from the get-go.

I don't get what you mean.

I never got that "trying too hard" vibe from it at all.
Remember that scene in season one where all they said was "fuck" for like 5 minutes?

I don't get what you mean.
As in, stiff fucking competition. Joss Whedon creates the most memorable, believable, and likeable characters (even the villains). He's a master of character development and the relationships between characters are brilliantly done. Watch Firefly or Buffy The Vampire Slayer to see what I'm talking about.

Remember that scene in season one where all they said was "fuck" for like 5 minutes?

No, but I don't see how that's relevant.

As in, stiff fucking competition. Joss Whedon creates the most memorable, believable, and likeable characters (even the villains). He's a master of character development and the relationships between characters are brilliantly done. Watch Firefly or Buffy The Vampire Slayer to see what I'm talking about.

I've seen a fair bit of both, and yeah they are well done, but it's an odd comparison really. They are totally different types of shows to The Wire. The witty dialogue is Whedon's strong point and it makes for some memorable and funny scenes and interactions, but it's not realistic at all.

So, I just started watching Lexx, from the beginning, having previously only watched a few heavily censored episodes on sci-fi. Now watching this show in it's original format, I love it. Cheesy, Funny, Bloody, Sci-Fi Awesomeness. Anyone else a fan of this show?

I've seen a fair bit of both, and yeah they are well done, but it's an odd comparison really. They are totally different types of shows to The Wire. The witty dialogue is Whedon's strong point and it makes for some memorable and funny scenes and interactions, but it's not realistic at all.

The thing about Whedon is that it's like he has ADHD - his shows switch between moods at a ridiculous rate. There are some funny parts and unserious bits, but the relationships between the characters is very realistic. I never said anything about the dialoge; it's unrealistic, as there's a lot of wisecracking and characters obviously aren't allowed to swear.

So, anyone else hear that Arrested Development is being made into a feature length film planned for an '09 release? I'm usually hesitant about shows being made into movies; but because of Arrested Development's short run (three seasons) I have higher hopes.

I don't like when TV series go on for too long, they usually run out of material and start to wear thin. Also because I tend to watch movies on DVD once they're finished, I don't like having to go through 5+ seasons to get closure on the series.

I enjoy TV shows more when I watch them like long movies that you can take breaks from.

Meh, good stuff gets replaced with more good stuff. I'd rather be able to watch an entire show easily in 1-2 seasons and have all the issues resolved than have it go on and on. Also shows that are meant to be short from the start are generally more well thought out from start to finish. Of course some shows are designed to last a long time, firefly for example was supposed to be 7 seasons, and clearly ended with a lot of unresolved issues.

But when shows are given more seasons just because they are doing well, you can tell the plot is a lot less organized, and they tend to flow like several disjointed stories, rather than one continuous one.

7 seasons of Firefly...one can dream. Whedon certainly tends to plan long term. Some shows are definitely far less long term.

On the 2nd seasons of both Big Love and Peep Show atm. Really loving them both. I like having a drama and a comedy going at the same time, it's all about balance.

Lexx is Canadian/German cheesy B grade sci-fi show. It was aired on the Sci-Fi channel in america for a while, but the nudity and some of the gore was edited out.

May check out or whatever eventually.

Finished Season 3 of the Wire, I really like it. Also, in the middle of Season 4 of Angel and all I can say is WHAT THE FUCK! The twists have long ago passed mind-boggling. It's getting to the point where the only question I have is how the fuck Whedon will ever manage to tie it all together (because I know he will and it will kick ass). Actually, the other question is will there be more Alyson Hannigan? I'm hoping in season 5 (I already know Spike will be back...one can hope. What the fuck does happen after Season 7 of Buffy?) (Rhetorical, if you know, don't answer).
Sorry for spewing randomly. It's been on my mind.

Lexx is Canadian/German cheesy B grade sci-fi show. It was aired on the Sci-Fi channel in america for a while, but the nudity and some of the gore was edited out.

I remember that show always being on TV but I never really bothered to check it out. I've only seen one episode, years ago. It had to do with Dracula's castle and three witches. It was definitely cheesy, but mildly entertaining. Is Lexx worth getting into?

finished watching season 2 of Rome... pretty darn good... got deadwood on the netflix queue... any good?