The Official Good Television Thread

And again, I never said anyone deserved to die. Claiming that certain characters deserve to die establishes a point of absolute judgment that reserves the right to unequivocal sentencing. I'm unwilling to grant that Jesse deserved to die, especially when considering the network of forces and players.

Walt cracked in some way (or the cancer simply released the bag of cats that is "Heisenberg"). Unfortunately, cancer isn't an agent or actor that can be criticized for doing anything violent toward Walt.

Jesse experienced psychic and physical violence at the hands of other characters who intentionally manipulated him for their own gain. Jesse never manipulated anyone except when he was already caught within a web of manipulation, for which it can be argued he wasn't in control of what he was doing.

And again, I never said anyone deserved to die. Claiming that certain characters deserve to die establishes a point of absolute judgment that reserves the right to unequivocal sentencing. I'm unwilling to grant that Jesse deserved to die, especially when considering the network of forces and players.

Well if we look at actions specifically, Jesse was as deserving as anyone else (the original assertion by both myself and Jimmy). Of course, when we pan back, everyone begins to look less "deserving" (not just Jesse). That is my point.

Walt cracked in some way (or the cancer simply released the bag of cats that is "Heisenberg"). Unfortunately, cancer isn't an agent or actor that can be criticized for doing anything violent toward Walt.

Jesse experienced psychic and physical violence at the hands of other characters who intentionally manipulated him for their own gain. Jesse never manipulated anyone except when he was already caught within a web of manipulation, for which it can be argued he wasn't in control of what he was doing.

Jung would probably say "Heisenberg" was the "shadow" of Walt. Cancer itself isn't an agent, and itself was not the trauma (IE, he didn't have brain cancer taking out his frontal lobe). It was the broader sociocultural implications of his diagnosis combined with what Erikson would say was his stage in life where he was already confronting the "Integrity vs Despair" crisis.

As far as Jesse and manipulation, I contend that while Jesse never engaged in the sort of aggressive manipulation we see most obviously in Walt, he was nevertheless skilled in orienting/placing himself where it was most beneficial to him, a more passive manipulation. Jesse had as much or as little control (is the glass half full or half empty) over himself as the other characters, if not arguably moreso relative to certain characters.

Ha, I definitely don't see Jesse as "skilled." He got lucky sometimes, maybe.

And sure, perhaps they do all seem less deserving when we reorient ourselves. I just can't stand all the grandstanding discussion of how much Jesse deserved to die.

Look he belongs in prison and that is that. And if there was somehow a connection to Gale or Jacks crew that got to him and he died there he'd have it coming and deserve every bit of it. Just like almost everyone on that show.

If you should feel for someone it's Huell lol he's still waiting...

The end of Breaking Bad was satisfying but I was a little disappointed by the lack of a mind-blowing twist that I've come to expect from the series. Oh well, still one of the most consistently great TV series of all time. Amazing writing, acting, pacing, etc.

China, IL is my top comedy on TV right now. The new 30 minute episodes allow for so much more depth and commitment to the utterly bizarre extrapolation of sitcom tropes, but the show generally sticks to a plotline and doesn't rely on cutaways or too many non-sequiters.

1st epi of American Horry Story was flippin awesome. Great cast this season, and the setting is present and past day New Orleans...voodoo vs surviving salem witches shit.

Can't read through this thread because I'm only on season 5 of Breaking Bad, but at the moment I'm pretty obsessed with American Horror Story. There's no TV show like it on air, and i'm a sucker for horror. Also, this season of Walking Dead I'm realizing some things. I.E. that Rick, Hershel and the Governor are the only good actors and the cinematography isn't that great.

DAMN, Tonight's episode of The Walking Dead was amazing, hands down the best of this season. And that ending got me jacked up!

DAMN, Tonight's episode of The Walking Dead was amazing, hands down the best of this season. And that ending got me jacked up!

It was indeed. I've luckily caught every episode so far this season each Sunday. (I tend to forget a show is on or get caught up doing something else, so I miss it). It's getting good, started out a little slow, but I'm excited to see what happens!

I'm right now going to give "Vikings" a chance.

I loved it! So glad they decided to do a second season. Great characters and storyline...not just swords n horns. A very real, raw and natural setting, no tacky special effects at all.

Thoughts?

but at the moment I'm pretty obsessed with American Horror Story. There's no TV show like it on air,

I pretty much feel the same bout AHS. Havnt missed a second of all three seasons up to this point. I thought the first two seasons were equally great. "Coven" has been good, not great, to this point imo.

Is this your first season...or seen em all?

I pretty much feel the same bout AHS. Havnt missed a second of all three seasons up to this point. I thought the first two seasons were equally great. "Coven" has been good, not great, to this point imo.

Is this your first season...or seen em all?

Seen them all, really good show. Last season was such an amazing clusterfuck, and I'm definitely waiting for Coven to take off too. I heard this is Jessica Lange's last season, which is disappointing since she's awesome at being the unlikeable character you want to hate but end up liking.

I have to watch Vikings, been meaning to. Honestly, kind of waiting for it to show up on netflix instant watch someday.