The Official Good Television Thread

i still haven't started the final season of JUSTIFIED yet because i love that show so much and i really really don't want it to end.

It's so sad that its ending. It's such a good show. The final season is pretty good, there's like one episode left and I have no idea whats going to happen.

Is anyone watching Vikngs on History? Knee deep into middle current season 3. Such a bad-ass show. The rawness, production cinematography shit is done right. Partly due to the high success of Vikings, History is planning to develope another series (to offset Vikings) entitled Knightfall...bout the Knights Templars etc.

I might have to start watching this. My dad loves it and that templars idea sounds fucking awesome

I've found the final season of Justified a bit crap, at least by the show's standards, which sucks. They've got Sam Elliott. It should be the best season yet. Meh.

Will probably check out Netflix's Daredevil tomorrow. I liked the comics when I was little and Netflix have been pretty good so far.

Still waiting for a debut date on this

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found the final season of Justified a bit crap, at least by the show's standards, which sucks. They've got Sam Elliott. It should be the best season yet. Meh.

iirc it peaked with season 2, at least so far (haven't started the last season). but even sub-par JUSTIFIED totally does it for me.

Mathiäs;10992341 said:
I might have to start watching this. My dad loves it and that templars idea sounds fucking awesome

I believe Jeremy Renner (Hurt Locker) has a hand in this Templars thing...acting or producing or maybe both? Hope it comes to light, and if its half as good as Vikings, ill be thrilled.

blah blah GOTHAM

Haven't seen it, but it's been on my list since I heard the guy behind Rome was making a Batman show with Donal Logue in it. I'd have started watching already but ~20 episode seasons are rather daunting.

Have you ever seen Person of Interest? I can't imagine any network procedural ever topping that one.

jumping into THE WALKING DEAD for the first time. hoping it'll live up to the hype.

It won't.

Just finished [Vikings] season 2. Easily the best thing on TV.

You're completely out of your mind, Vikings is garbage. The acting is shit (every actor speaks with a different accent), characters are paper flat and the writing just sucks overall. And they seriously need to up the violence, that blood eagle episode was the tamest shit I've ever seen. Athelstan's awesome though, I'll concede that much.

GoT is objectively better in pretty much every conceivable way.

I got what I wanted from the last season. Great new characters, great old characters, witty banter and no shitty Orange is the New Black-plotline. Didn't care for the finale but I'm not exactly upset about it, it was an unambitious ending to an unambitious show.

S04 > S02 > S01 > S06 > S03 > S05.

Vikings is nowhere near great and shouldn't even be mentioned with GoT. But it's far from garbage. And yes while there's plenty of bad acting, it's still watchable actually.

And while i haven't seen the last twos seasons, it's not like Justified is steps above Vikings in any of the areas you mentioned either.

Gotham is okay ... missed the last few episodes though and not sure if i should continue.

I got what I wanted from the last season. Great new characters, great old characters, witty banter and no shitty Orange is the New Black-plotline. Didn't care for the finale but I'm not exactly upset about it, it was an unambitious ending to an unambitious show.

S04 > S02 > S01 > S06 > S03 > S05.

I'd swap 2 and 4 around, but that's how I'd probably rank them too.

And while i haven't seen the last twos seasons, it's not like Justified is steps above Vikings in any of the areas you mentioned either.

Asides that it had some great actors/acting, and fantastic dialogue, which I'm presuming falls under 'writing'.

Vikings is like Sons of Anarchy. Both are okay, but both have a load of dumb fans that put them up on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on because Vikings and bikers are trendy. They're popular with the kind of people that infest sites like tumblr.

Scummy people.

Haven't seen it, but it's been on my list since I heard the guy behind Rome was making a Batman show with Donal Logue in it. I'd have started watching already but ~20 episode seasons are rather daunting.

donal logue is the best thing about it along with robin lord taylor's penguin. i think the mistake they made with gotham is the first season was supposed to end much earlier - the final few episodes would've been better as the start for season 2 as they're clearly preparing for the meat of the next season anyway. the momentum's just totally gone by the 'finale'. i'd also prefer if fish mooney fucked off because more or less everything involving her is dogshit and she's a terrible character.

Have you ever seen Person of Interest? I can't imagine any network procedural ever topping that one.

no. i will check it out.

It won't.

i quite like it so far tbh. low expectations probably helped, but i like the way it's starting to subvert perceptions of the characters - and they're generally just about fleshed out enough to work for me in this context. obviously it's a little on the nose thematically and can deevolve into soap opera at times, but it's not pulling as many punches as i feared it would. i just wonder where they're gonna go with it, i'm only on the latter stages of season 2 and i can already feel them starting to pluck new sub-plots out of the air.

You're completely out of your mind, Vikings is garbage. The acting is shit (every actor speaks with a different accent), characters are paper flat and the writing just sucks overall. And they seriously need to up the violence, that blood eagle episode was the tamest shit I've ever seen. Athelstan's awesome though, I'll concede that much.

GoT is objectively better in pretty much every conceivable way.

my dad's pressuring me to watch this :( i'm gonna watch GoT instead.

the first few episodes of the new season for GoT have been pretty meh. They've had some good moments but nothing mind blowing overall

I'm waiting for True Detective and Fargo to start back up

Ah cool.

GoT has always been a slowly progressing beast that is going to last 15+ seasons, as long as the titties keep showing and a terribly choreographed fight scene occurs. If there was actual good TV on I don't think i'd watch it, I guess that's why TD comes on in June?

Vikings is like Sons of Anarchy. Both are okay, but both have a load of dumb fans that put them up on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on because Vikings and bikers are trendy. They're popular with the kind of people that infest sites like tumblr.

Scummy people.

Get a grip.

Just like loads of dumb people who put shows about zombies and super-heroes up on a pedestal right?...talk about trendy. Unfair statement you make. Plenty of intelligent fans following History and FX shows. I had zero interest in bikers, gang-bangers and all that going into SOA 7 years ago, yet i totally got hooked and never missed a single minute. Thing is to be open-minded and not take things to serious. Its the same reason i enjoy watching sports, the entertainment value, joy and intensity it provides at times.

The acting is shit.... the writing just sucks overall.

Actors/acting have nothing to to with the writing bro, lol. And the writing for both of those shows are okay, but nothing to write home about.

Dialogue falls under writing.

The acting in general is better in Justified.