The Official Good Television Thread

That's fair, I also was least interested in adult Shauna's affair throughout, if I'm being honest. And at one point, my wife was like "are they seriously doing the 'bored housewife has an affair' trope?" So it probably feels like the most phoned-in aspect of the show.

My rationale for it, which I don't offer as an attempt to change your opinion is

that adult Shauna's affair is inextricable from her affair with Jeff as a teenager. There's something oddly poetic to me about the juxtaposition and contrast between teenage Shauna--whose life, prior to the crash, is so-to-speak "just beginning," lots of options, accepted to Brown, poised to excel, etc.--and adult Shauna, who feels trapped, stuck in routine, bored, suspicious of her husband (who, it turns out, isn't cheating: "There's no book club!?"), really a perfect stereotype of the fucking desperate housewives schtick. So in both of these scenarios, one variable and one controlled, she has illicit affairs. I would explain the time spent on her adult affair as not just a red herring or metanarrative jab (I like that second reading, btw) but also a psychological profile of someone trying to fuck her way out of an adulthood by reliving a time when she felt like things were still available to her.

That may have been what you meant by trauma, so sorry if I'm not saying anything new. On the point of trauma, it is suggestive that she repeats her adulterous behavior, repetition being a Freudian thing associated with trauma.

But overall, those adult sequences of the affair were the ones I enjoyed the least, so I take your point.

Also, disappointed we didn't get more of the man with no eyes that Taissa sees. Hoping that doesn't just fall away. Freaked me out the first time we see that fucker.

Interesting take, but I'd be more sold on this read if

1) Shauna didn't have this total dreamboat coincidentally (pending future revelations to the contrary) land right in her lap and 2) she didn't also have very strong reasons to suspect Jeff was cheating on her. It doesn't seem to me that she sought out an affair because it's a personality trait and/or coping mechanism of hers but more like random chance just set up a perfect scenario where the temptation to cheat is great and she's given ample cause to rationalize it as fair play. This isn't to say that two wrongs make a right, or that she's absolved of responsibility for acting on a faulty inference about Jeff or anything like that, I just think that if the point of the plot was to highlight a tendency to illicit affairs they shouldn't have used such a perfect storm of improbable events to make it happen.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Thoughts on Book of Boba Fett? So far I feel like it's okay - some great moments, some very shitty ones too. Though I felt that way about the first season of Mandalorian and it got a lot better in season 2, so maybe that's where this is going as well. Overall I love seeing a show about my childhood favorite character.

The sarlacc pit scene was fucking disgusting too

They're dangling this mystery in the woods pretty hard in yellow jackets, lot more teenager-y than I expected. Meh through 3, let's keep on rolling

Man, so bummed on Yellowjackets, you guys got my real interest real piqued. Felt like they were re-writing the show as it went on, just not worth a ten hour investment -- at atll!

Was there anything valuable in the 2021-edition? Or was it all just a buildup to show that Lottie was alive? Nat, the stereotypical user/abuser character. Travis' murder/suicide went nowhere outside of forcing a bond with Misty.

Shauna, anything? Losing her mind and is a dirtbag yet consequence free. The quick resolution to the cheating/murder/Fargo heist was ridiculous :lol:

Taissa...has some interesting ghost story/spirit world environment setup and ??? Seems like they're contradicting her past, with her grandma / no eyes with Lottie's spiritual whatever in the woods. Is Taissa denying her own past or is Lottie finding her true calling in the woods or whatever!??

And the woods just seemingly ignoring all the interesting parts. No talk on how these no-nothing high schoolers can survive (and thrive), so alright, we're all in on a different angle. Spirit world? Nah, not yet. High school fucking drama. Who's fucking who now, in the past, and in the future.

I'm also kind of confused at Shauna's daughter and future. Kind of implied that the baby shes carrying is the baby after the fact, and likely why she stays with Jeff or whatever his name is. But, she looks like a high schooler and theyre' obviously 25 years past birth. Seems like that isn't being mentioned or anything? :lol: Why did she shack up with that dude after the fact if this baby dies / whatever? Seems like this may contradict her storyline, stuck mom because of early baby but really she loves killing things etc etc

I see no reason to keep watching and feel like we're going to have to wait four seasons for their departure from the crash.

Fuck all new TV, feels like a god damn cash grab every damn time.

They're dangling this mystery in the woods pretty hard in yellow jackets, lot more teenager-y than I expected. Meh through 3, let's keep on rolling

Yeah, who'd have thought a show about teenage girls would be kinda teenager-y?

Man, so bummed on Yellowjackets, you guys got my real interest real piqued. Felt like they were re-writing the show as it went on, just not worth a ten hour investment -- at atll!

Was there anything valuable in the 2021-edition? Or was it all just a buildup to show that Lottie was alive? Nat, the stereotypical user/abuser character. Travis' murder/suicide went nowhere outside of forcing a bond with Misty.

Shauna, anything? Losing her mind and is a dirtbag yet consequence free. The quick resolution to the cheating/murder/Fargo heist was ridiculous :lol:

Taissa...has some interesting ghost story/spirit world environment setup and ??? Seems like they're contradicting her past, with her grandma / no eyes with Lottie's spiritual whatever in the woods. Is Taissa denying her own past or is Lottie finding her true calling in the woods or whatever!??

And the woods just seemingly ignoring all the interesting parts. No talk on how these no-nothing high schoolers can survive (and thrive), so alright, we're all in on a different angle. Spirit world? Nah, not yet. High school fucking drama. Who's fucking who now, in the past, and in the future.

I'm also kind of confused at Shauna's daughter and future. Kind of implied that the baby shes carrying is the baby after the fact, and likely why she stays with Jeff or whatever his name is. But, she looks like a high schooler and theyre' obviously 25 years past birth. Seems like that isn't being mentioned or anything? :lol: Why did she shack up with that dude after the fact if this baby dies / whatever? Seems like this may contradict her storyline, stuck mom because of early baby but really she loves killing things etc etc

I see no reason to keep watching and feel like we're going to have to wait four seasons for their departure from the crash.

Fuck all new TV, feels like a god damn cash grab every damn time.

lol big surprise here.

It's not implied at all that Shauna's teenage daughter is her baby from 1996. If anything, it's implied that her daughter is not the baby she's carrying in the woods--which begs the question, what happens to her baby?

If you don't like the show you don't like it, but these complaints are pretty dumb. :D

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Literally all? There's nothing you'd vouch for?
Oops

Yeah, who'd have thought a show about teenage girls would be kinda teenager-y?

I don't want to hear it from your pedophile ass, dreaming over a 16 year old.

It's not implied at all that Shauna's teenage daughter is her baby from 1996. If anything, it's implied that her daughter is not the baby she's carrying in the woods--which begs the question, what happens to her baby?
maybe another bear will show up and just take the baby as tribute :loco:

Last edited: