The Official Movie Thread

How so? Non-linear structures aren't at all uncommon at this point, and haven't been since Rashomon came out in 1950. His dialogue is clever in its wordplay, but heavily derivative of 70's neo-noir and exploitation cinema (Chinatown, Dirty Harry, Shaft etc.). His visual style and plotting are little more than watered down versions of the work of Suzuki Seijun and Fukasaku Kinji and early career John Woo. The 'Tarantino Trademark' is no trademark at all. He is a compiler and a 'master' of pastiche, not a serious director with a body of meaningful work.

I'm not saying that he invented the style... I just used the non-linear structure to exemplify my point: that you are absolutely correct in assuming he has no really meaningful work, but he is unparalleled in his ability to direct colorful and memorable films. He's pulp, but the best pulp there is.

Your comment regarding Japanese films was insightful. I will have to look into them. However, I must admit that something always feels wrong with Eastern actors... maybe it's the language, but even in western-friendly modern films like House of the Flying Daggers, Hero, etc. the characters are so lifeless and formal, like symbols of sort and not actual humans. Maybe that's just a feeling, but it's definitely true for some of Kurosawa's works such as Ran (I think that the theater-like performance in this film is used to a great effect and fits the style, but it makes it hard to enjoy the *emotional* angle of the film, rather than just interpreting it intellectually).

I have not watched Aguirre, the Wrath of God. I will have to pick it up, too. It reminds me of Apocalypse Now from your description, which is probably my favorite film of all time. I've always liked the monologue in the beginning, how he can't find himself both in the jungle and in the civilized word, and the river metaphor

I
Your comment regarding Japanese films was insightful. I will have to look into them. However, I must admit that something always feels wrong with Eastern actors... maybe it's the language, but even in western-friendly modern films like House of the Flying Daggers, Hero, etc. the characters are so lifeless and formal, like symbols of sort and not actual humans.

There are a couple of factors at work here:

1. The Asian (Chinese, actually) films that have gotten mainstream American distribution recently have all been martial arts period pieces, where genre conventions dictate a more formal and stylized acting approach.

2. Everyday social behavior in Asian societies is simply much more formal and ritualized than in the West (particularly the US). Even naturalistic acting styles in Asia are thus likely to be far more formal and much less overtly emotional. For this very reason, Asian filmmakers tend to use musical or visual cues to create and augment emotion, rather than relying upon actors to provide the emotional content

Maybe that's just a feeling, but it's definitely true for some of Kurosawa's works such as Ran (I think that the theater-like performance in this film is used to a great effect and fits the style, but it makes it hard to enjoy the *emotional* angle of the film, rather than just interpreting it intellectually).

Most of Kurosawa's films are intensely emotive, Ran and Throne of Blood are outliers in this sense, but the choices he makes in both films are dictated by the source material (Shakespeare) and the desire to retain the formal beauty of stage drama in a cinematic setting.

OK, that was enlightening.

Out of curiosity: do you like any "fun" movies? Would you consider Tarantino "fun"? You know, the kind of stuff you watch with your friends and not take very seriously..

Aguirre, the Wrath of God​

On the sunject of Herzog films, I was thinking about picking up a Herzog boxset containing Auirre, The Wrath of God, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, Woyzeck and Nosferatu The Vampire, but I've heard the subtitling is a let down. Can anyone shed some light on how bad it is and how much it effects understanding/enjoyment of the films?

Best movie that has come out in the past 2 years or so is definitely the Departed. I hated Leonardo DiCaprio(sp?) before that movie, but man, he is fucking badass in the Departed.

As big of a fan of Transformers I was back in the day...this movie looks awfully terrible. I personally dislike Hollywood movies anyways and can't stand movies with CGI, special effects, and whatever computer-animated nonsense. I'll stick with the original Transformers.

The film breaks practically every rule about Transformers lore (which I expected). But as an action flick on its own merit, its actually VERY good.