The Official Movie Thread

I really don't think this movie was meant to be some gutbuster comedy. You probably went into it with the wrong mindset.

I mean, I was expecting a comedy-without-jokes. But even so I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, just relatively uninteresting.

Did any of you read the comic Wanted was based off? Because the comic kicks ass. The story is very different however. In the comic the main character joins a fraternity of supervillians that have murdered all of the superheros and now rule the world. Lots of nifty suprvillians and powers in the comic. Much more interesting that a fraternity of assassins or whatever.

Wanted is that all the world's super-villains decided to band together in 1986 and use their vast collective powers — including mad science, magic and mind control — to eliminate all the world's superheroes and rewrite reality in a darker image. Prior to this the world was a brighter, more hopeful place. Superheroes are only remembered as vaguely as fiction (as they are in the real world), and behind the scenes a cabal of the leading super-villains runs the entire world.

Milquetoast office drone Wesley Gibson discovers that his recently-assassinated father was a super-criminal called The Killer, and that Wesley has inherited his perfect aim and uncanny skill with any weapon. Wesley enters a new life, and must deal with the most dangerous and powerful people in the world — whose ranks now include Wesley himself. After being approached by the Fox, another super-villain, Wesley quits his job and joins the Fraternity, the super-villain society's moniker. Wesley goes through a period of training, in which he is desensitized to violence and given licence to fulfill every desire, including rape (which is referenced but not actually depicted), racially motivated violence and random murder. He then goes on to sever the last connection to his previous life by breaking up with his girlfriend, knowing she cheated on him with his best friend, whom he has already killed. Wesley becomes the bodyguard of the super scientist Professor Seltzer, who is a member of the Five, the leading council of the Fraternity.

At a council meeting, the main antagonist, Mister Rictus, calls a vote that the Fraternity come forward as the ruling body of the Earth, which is defeated narrowly, thanks to the hypnotic manipulation of the Emperor, the swing vote, by Professor Seltzer. Mister Rictus, tired of hiding in the shadows and of controlling only Australia (a nod to Superman II), has Professor Seltzer executed and marks the Fox and Wesley for death. Wesley strikes back after infiltrating the Fraternity's North American headquarters, killing many of the villains as well as Mister Rictus. After killing him, Wesley finds his father alive and well. The original Killer explains that he faked his death and got Wesley to join the Fraternity to make Wesley into a man. He explains Wesley's childhood was essentially carried by his mother, who encouraged him to never fight under any circumstances, knowing that his instincts as the Killer would come forward. After telling Wesley of instances where he'd visit Wesley as he slept, he asks Wesley to kill him, explaining that he's getting old and slow, that he missed a target at under a half mile. Wesley obliges after resisting, and tells the Fox that he's returning to his former life of misery and oppression, not wanting to die like his father. After expressing incredible disbelief, the Fox realizes he's joking, and they depart back to former headquarters of Professor Seltzer, now under his partial leadership. Similar to the film, the end of the comic breaks the fourth wall with Wesley addressing the audience, contemptuously calling them out about their pathetic lives, succinctly ending with: "This is my face while fucking you in the ass."[

I don't know why, but I've been watching the short film More over and over again. I find the claymation, music, and atmosphere to be creepy. The symbolism behind the movie is so simple, yet I can't stop watching it.

The Untouchables, pretty good gangster-ish movie. I'm not really sure why Sean Connery got an Academy Award for his role but all around pretty solid movie.

So has anyone seen Pineapple Express? I thought I might get some laughs from it, but the other day a few of my friends who had just seen it were talking about it, and all the parts they were quoting was stuff I saw in the trailer.

I loved it, but, people should be warned that it's fairly different from Bender's Big Score. Really bizarre at best, actually.

Thanks for the recs. Although, for crime films, I generally prefer those with a bit more violence than Goodfellas... Actually, I really like violence, as long as it's not tacked on... And sometimes even if it is tacked on.

I'm curious what crime films are more violent being Goodfellas is incredibly violent and also realistic.

I'm curious what crime films are more violent being Goodfellas is incredibly violent and also realistic.

Wait, let me rephrase that. Goodfellas is violent but it's essentially a drama, I generally prefer movies with less drama between the violence. Although I still loved Goodfellas, because it's an exception.

Whats the deal with Hollywood remakes? I saw an English movie yesterday where a bunch of prisoners faced off against a bunch of guards in a football match,i have seen a Hollywood movie with the exact same story that was complete crap,didn´t realize it was a remake until yesterday. The Englsh movie was great. Same thing with The Ring,the Japanese version is awesome,the Hollywood remake is crap. What´s the point of remaking every non American movie really?

I heard they're gonna remake Battle Royale. Can't wait to not ever watch that and flame anyone who thinks it's good.

Have you seen any of the Pusher films? They're not exactly ganster movies but are about crime, drug dealing etc. Each of the three films focuses on one of the characters, up close and personal. They're dark films, and done in a realistic manner, but they aren't full of action or anything so some people may lack the patience for them. They're Danish films btw, but I think they're great especially the first two.

Whats the deal with Hollywood remakes? I saw an English movie yesterday where a bunch of prisoners faced off against a bunch of guards in a football match,i have seen a Hollywood movie with the exact same story that was complete crap,didn´t realize it was a remake until yesterday. The Englsh movie was great. Same thing with The Ring,the Japanese version is awesome,the Hollywood remake is crap. What´s the point of remaking every non American movie really?

I'm sure some of you have seen the low budget Spanish horror film [REC]. It came out last year, and Hollywood has already re-made it...it's the new one called Quarantine.

Last edited by a moderator:
So has anyone seen Pineapple Express? I thought I might get some laughs from it, but the other day a few of my friends who had just seen it were talking about it, and all the parts they were quoting was stuff I saw in the trailer.

I saw it a few days ago. It wasn't too good. It wasn't horrible, but it failed to really make me lulz like other Apatow films.

Just saw Det Sjunde Inseglet (The Seventh Seal). Wow. Didn't think I'd enjoy it due to it's age, but I certainly did. Masterpiece.

Just watched Doomsday. Part Mad Max, part Resident Evil, part 28 Days Later, part...

That's pretty much what I thought, like they took the ideas from a few different films but rather than roll them into one...it was like watching 28 Days/Weeks Later, then a movie about cannibals/skids, then it like shifts to medieval times etc. I also couldn't help but notice that some of the music used in Doomsday was previously used in 28 Weeks Later.

Honestly, I couldn't stand Doomsday. There's so much jumping from scene to scene that I was irritated throughout the entire movie. It's like the movie never focuses on one scene for more then three seconds, and any dialogue is virtually non-existent.

I saw it a few days ago. It wasn't too good. It wasn't horrible, but it failed to really make me lulz like other Apatow films.

I enjoyed the hell out of it, and I'm not an usual fan of Apatow's work.

Anyone seen "Pi" and "Requiem For A Dream" by Darren Aronofsky? I'm interested to hear people's opinions on these films.

Recently watched "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Fuckin' awesome movie (and equally awesome book).