The Official Movie Thread

NW:

91DhuJhAFYL._SY550_.jpg

Reminder to myself: watch more anime.

I have a review of it on RYM? The site doesn't show me one...

Anyway it's pointless since it's basically just a recut of the TV series. So you're just getting all the bad animation and none of the connective tissue.

Given the time difference between our posts I think I just misread. I do have a review of it on criticker though.

Completely pointless abridgement of the original series, my estimation of which has been greatly improving in hindsight.

are any of the classic universal monster flicks worth checking out? They're all(Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Invisible Man)currently on sale for around $20 right now.
Most of the Universal classics are essential entries in the horror cannon. My personal favorites are The Invisible Man, Dracula's Daughter (severely underrated), The Mummy and Creature from the Black Lagoon. Some of the lesser known ones are worth checking out too like Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Black Cat. The '43 version of Phantom of the Opera is fantastic as well. Claude Rains is so brilliant in that one. One of the most emotional Phantoms.

What was Shin like?

pretty cool, i'd recommend it to monster movie fans with the caveat that it isn't really a typical entry into the genre. everything involving the creature itself is awesome--the design is really weird and inscrutable--but at times it kinda just feels like an excuse to imagine modern japan's response to a fukushima/hiroshima-esque disaster, exploring bureaucratic infrastructure and geopolitics with a tone that starts out somewhere between iannucci farce and soderbergh procedural, then becomes more and more optimistic and idealistic as it progresses (which i found both refreshing and kinda unconvincing). i haven't seen much NGE but i don't exactly get the impression this lives up to expectations of "evangelion as a godzilla movie", although apparently there are quite a few signature anno touches and it's generally pretty creative.

Reactions: CiG
Hero and the Terror is one of my favourite Chuck Norris movies, I've only seen about ten of his but that one is definitely up there and also seems pretty underrated. Has this great unsettling PTSD undertone to it. @TechnicalBarbarity do you have any kind of ranking for Chuck films?
I need to rewatch a bunch of his stuff(especially from the 70's) to refresh my memory and make a proper list.

From the ones i watched recently i have them ...

Code of Silence > The Hitman > The Delta Force > Lone Wolf McQuade